Fly Fusion Forums

When Did The Crow And Magpie's Become Alberta's Provincial Bird

Yeah, blasting firearms in towns is a not a swell idea.

The laws are regarding air rifles with a muzzle vel of < 500 fps are unclear. I have discharged an air gun in town to dispatch baby magpies.

The RCMP website (2013) states "airguns ... are deemed not to be firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act and related offences in the Criminal Code."

However, "....on Wednesday, November 5, 2014, the Supreme Court of Canada issued its ruling R. v. Dunn, finding that most air guns are considered “firearms” for all purposes in the Criminal Code except for licensing and registration."

Very confusing.

So we should give people free reign to discharge fire arms in urban areas? Rules against that kind of thing are there for a reason.

Jesus christ kid use your head. who the hell said that besides people are to busy shooting each other to worry about a few magpies. You actually think we hunted them in town .

You can hunt deer but do people do it in towns and cities. Oh wait apparently in calgary they do. Anyone remember that idiot that killed that elk at the zoo with a bow years ago?

Jesus christ kid use your head. who the hell said that besides people are to busy shooting each other to worry about a few magpies. You actually think we hunted them in town .

You can hunt deer but do people do it in towns and cities. Oh wait apparently in calgary they do. Anyone remember that idiot that killed that elk at the zoo with a bow years ago?

Then what are you suggesting be done to control magpies/crows? They are going to go where they feel most safe, as you have alluded to in the previous posts. If they don't have to worry about getting shot in cities, that's where they are going to go. If that's where they are going to go, their populations are going to grow.

I don't recall someone shooting an elk at the zoo with a bow, but I do remember someone shooting a deer in Fish Creek Park with a bow and leaving the body.

The solution is found near the city. Utilizing a mist net at the local landfill. Fire it over the crows/magpies/Ravens. When you have a goodly amount, walk a wide pad D-6 back and forth till mixed well.

Repeat as needed.

No bullets and disposal is easy.

You're welcome!

Don

• Like 2

The solution is found near the city. Utilizing a mist net at the local landfill. Fire it over the crows/magpies/Ravens. When you have a goodly amount, walk a wide pad D-6 back and forth till mixed well. Repeat as needed. No bullets and disposal is easy. You're welcome! Don

does that work for otters?

• Like 1

That's a good question jpinkster. I kind of like Don's idea myself. I don't know i spent all day out west of Bowden by Eagle Hill co-op working on my bosses farm and never seen one crow or magpie all day. I've been monitoring a few places in the states where they have been complaining about the exact same thing and there pissed that all there songbirds have disappeared,

So will see what they do. if its one thing i know about the US is if they have a problem they try to correct it right away. I highly doubt that all see anything done in my lifetime in Canada.

I grew up in a small town in BC in the 60's. The fruit industry was the mainstay of the economy. When the fruit ripened there where hoards of Starlings that descended on the cherries, peaches etc. At that time (it has changed) there was a bounty on these birds. You could get 5 cents for the legs, most of us kids had BB and Pellet guns and earned a pretty penny thinning out flocks. Along with wandering around orchards looking for birds, shooting in one’s yard was a normal thing. It kept our Mum’s working in the Packing houses processing fruit. We also had massive amounts of songbirds as they weren’t threatened by those predators. The problem with damaged fruit to the massive fruit industry was much lessened by little kids with their Red Ryders.

I saw very few Magpies back then, just the very odd one that you couldn’t get anywhere near. Last year when I visited home to work around the Grandparents home, the number of Starlings was huge and there where lots of news stories about severe damage to the industry from ever increasing flocks of Magpies plus the starlings. Researchers were pouring Millions of dollars into future solutions.

How times have changed. In those days us kids bicycled around with our fly rods and air guns. Kid things. Nobody I ever knew or heard about got hurt. Mind you most of the parents hunted and fished so we grew up in an environment of gun safety from a young age. Got my first BB gun at 8 and my 30-30 at 10. Firearms where not considered the horrific evil things the press seems to have turned them into. They where just tools just like a hammer, used to fill the freezer in the fall & keep household costs down.

Now we could most likely never go back to those times as most Canadians have moved away from the land and our fish and game heritage. But just some of my experiences about life for you guys.

• Like 2