Fly Fusion Forums

A Simple Question About The Future Of Alberta's Stillwaters

And then I suppose one simple question begets many:

1. How much government involvement / support / permission is needed?

2. How large a role do regional biologists play in the creation and sustainability?

3. Does Alberta have sufficient freshwater lakes available to create, say, a minimum of 4 lakes in a geographic region?

4. Is there sufficient appetite / demand at all levels for something like this; from anglers to gov't officials to enforcement etc?

I ask all these questions, because a silver lining to the aeration issue may be that if there are enough of us frustrated and pissed off about this, perhaps there's some opportunity to create something out of the ashes.

Mike

• Like 3

I like where your trying to go .But given the hard sell that is & was .To create QSF lakes here.I would like to expand the QSF regiment.But add to those new & present.No fishing thru the ice,C&R would be very nice,barbless.Specifially closed lake,therefore aeration .Shouldnot be an issue,because then your trespassing..

On the barbless note;We are the,Only prov. east of Ontario that isnot barbless.

I fished the Parklands[FLIPPR LKS.] since 2010.I fish the lakes apprx.6 wks a yr.In 2010 there was very few if any of the lakes that had bucket bricade[perch],in themThere are now 30% of the lakes have some sort of illegal placement in them.Winterkill is a big issue,or lack of knowledge as to where to place the aerators/pump stn's.Manitoban's used to be a rare site on these lakes in 2010.One guy told me why fish for those boney as trout,when we of have a 10000 lakes that have walleye in them.Or bass. Just some thoughts from a fat guy,that will be there may22-oct freeze..

• Like 1

I think we need to get our house in order with our natural fish before we start anything else. Why stretch our resources more especially now that the province has far less money coming in?

Because they didn't when there was more money coming in?? Now is the time, we have the NDP who might listen after 44 years of conservatives who wouldn't.

Smitty I am 100% in on this. I brought it up a couple weeks ago on the Beaver Lk thread and wanted to see if anyone had some insight... Bob Edens in Red Deer had this going http://www.albertafishinginsights.com/about/ but it seems it's been inactive a while. He was on the right track.

Am 100% in and willing to put my money where my mouth is, but where do we start, who do we talk to,and how do we get things in motion. Tallieho made some really good points. In this neck of the woods that would be one of the most important things is keeping an eye on the bucket brigade, some of these local rednecks have ruined basically every non-QSF in the Rocky district by illegally introducing perch.

I think we need to get our house in order with our natural fish before we start anything else. Why stretch our resources more especially now that the province has far less money coming in?

I sort of agree with you, but without quality lakes to fish won't that possibly put more pressure on native species? Do we want guys who fish stocked lakes with the intention of bonking fish to end up in the mountain streams?

• Like 2

I sort of agree with you, but without quality lakes to fish won't that possibly put more pressure on native species? Do we want guys who fish stocked lakes with the intention of bonking fish to end up in the mountain streams?

At some point we need to go in the direction of limiting pressure on all native species by limiting angling time on the water along the lines that B.C. has chosen. Not just the Eastern slopes, all water holding fish. Sooner or later it will need to happen. Catch and release is a good start but there is a percentage of fish that do succumb to the pressure regardless of how talented we are in C&R. When you throw in low water levels higher temps, and the less experienced I think(just my opinion)... things get real bad.

With the limited resources already we need the penalties for poaching to be much higher. We need our current available fisheries managed decently and one easy move in the right direction is bringing our licensing in line with B.C. too. I bet the funds we miss out on non resident licensing would pay for at least a couple of officers to patrol the water and then penalize the poachers hard that they catch and if we could also have that money go directly into fisheries. Just adding more fishing opportunities without being able to properly manage what we already have just does not fit.

Smithy,

Your thought have already been put into action. Beaver, Ironside, Fiesta and Alford all were paid for in part, a large part by sportsmen. The failure of these lakes was allowing people who were incapable of managing them to control the stocking and management and finally, the Areation.

The lesson learned, get the whole operation out of the hands of Govt.

The Manitoba Parkland is about to fail. The biologist responsible was transferred to northern Manitoba. There is no way any Govt employee is supposed to have a success. During his absence, the remaining bios did sweet tweet about the trout fishing. When the successful bio. returned, he found lakes with perch and walleye. Was he pissed. You bet.he has one year before retirement and then it's back to crappy management.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Damn that was great. Now are those dingbats employed by us still employed?

In the private sector, they would've made a dint in the fence when they were fired across the parking lot.

Still waiting for the letter from the minister attempting to explain why the biologists from Hinton/Edson, Edmonton & Rocky ****ed up so badly.

Don

• Like 1