Fly Fusion Forums

Getting An Aluminum Boat Repainted

bigfry

30 years ago (seriously) I told my (then) ten-year-old son to paint my 1971 alum boat with assorted yukko paints for camo for duck hunting. Some if it is still on the outside hull. Ain't pretty. However, 4 years ago I did some refitting of the inside (took out a bench seat and added a p/w casting floor) and painted the inside hull with a brush and some sort of gray metal paint. Paint is still as new...unlike the boat overall which is showing its age. But the inside hull paint is crisp..crisp as gray can be. It'd paint the whole thing again if needed....does not need it. It is 44 years old after all.

You could probably do a good job that will last ten years for perhaps $300 for paint, masking tape, brushes and paper and a few hours in a warm shop. Put some tunes on the radio or iThingy and go crazy.

Maybe it is the old fart in me. :P Limited income and lots of time. B)

HA HA yeah surprisingly it wasn't from sinking it, there was no visible damage from sinking just a lost oar, and it was covered in silt. they are legitimate rock chips from driving it without a cover,

thanks Mike we should get out once more in the next week before its too cold!

Wrapping works great when boat is new but not so good when boat has seen some use as adhesion becomes an issue the problem with painting is similar as Aluminum needs to be etched for the paint to hold which again requires a fair bit of prep. I have done this a couple of times with my present boats I did a wrap initially on my fishrite(new) it lasted a three season but eventually it got enough scrapes from sticks and shorelines that I needed to re-do I looked into rewrapping but they said it would not adhere well unless we power sanded the whole boat down to bare clean metal. I have found that painting to be the best solution as far as wear and tear goes and now just do touch ups every spring myself. Its not that hard to do but does require time, the better your prep the better it will turn out. Hope this helps but no I am not looking for another project as I still have both boats to keep up myself

• 3 weeks later...

www.endura.ca/

Call Endura as they manufacture paint and have the expertise to take you from beginning to end.

After the Aluminum is etched the paint adheres to it beautifully.Just don't touch it after. I painted an old Airplane(Stinson 108 for the plane buffs) that was fabric and aluminum many years ago and it is quite easy to work with. Endura sold me the paint and they were very helpful as I had not painted anything before other than with rattle cans. They can add flex agents for you that would also help in a boat application. Try it your self, just do a few "test runs" before then giver. Really is pretty easy and you could put your personal "stamp" on it.