Fly Fusion Forums

Reducing Break-Offs?

jgib01

For the past year and a bit of fly fishing, I've had relatively little experience with this... until the last couple of weeks. Have previously experienced maybe two break-offs (that I can remember) in the moving waters I'm typically on. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been on a recently stocked pond, with lots of fish to hand. Along with that, I've had probably a dozen break-offs too. I first started wondering if it was a tippet issue... generally using 4X (but also 3X and sometimes 5X on smaller nymphs), and have tried both fluoro and mono (my mono 4X was bought in August, 3X in the spring and 5X last fall; fluoro from last year). My fly vest is not stored in my vehicle; always in my garage at the end of the day out of any direct sunlight.

Then experimented with a couple of knots, trying improved clinch and double davy (and yes I always wet my knots!). Can't really seem to figure out the pattern here. Maybe it is the sheer number of fish I am into, and that is taking a toll on the tippet. These little hatchery rainbow (most in the 12-16" range) are feisty, and have a tendency to hit hard when they strike... nothing subtle about the takes. Even so, they are not big enough that I would expect as many break-offs as I have been experiencing. That said, last night I was fishing a small leech with a small trailing nymph under a white yarn indicator... a rather large looking fish rose to and took my indicator, pulled it down about a foot and then let go. I was a bit mesmerized, when about 2 seconds later it was on my leech... took it straight down about 10 feet, zig-zagged a couple of times, gave a few head shakes, and broke off my leech tied on 3X. Fun while it lasted!

Any advice for what I might try? I don't think I am fighting too aggressively, but you never truly know what the adrenaline is doing to your sensibility. Sure making me nervous if/when I do finally get to spend some more quality time on QSF waters. I can only imagine what 20"+ fish would do to me given my record these past few days.

Pinching the line too tight to the cork can cause break offs too. Also some of the faster action rods just don't bend enough to protect lighter tippet but that shouldn't be as much of an issue with 3X. Are the break offs always right at the knot?

Break-offs tend to be at the knots, but even then I can't bet my life this is 100% of the time. My rods are of the fast action variety (Orvis Access 6# tip flex, Orvis TLS 5# tipflex, BIIIX 4#), so that may be a factor. Maybe I need to try out my 2# fiberglass and see if I can manage a break off on that ;) Edit: Just looked outside and there is no wind here today... I am definitely taking my 2# out tonight for kicks.

As I have thought about the drag question, I am inclined to think my problem is more about finesse (or rather lack thereof) on my part. For me, the reel's drag rarely comes into play... certainly doesn't factor in on those that I have lost on hookups and in those first few crucial seconds afterward. I could count on one hand the number of times I have got these stockers to the reel. Even when fishing my regular haunts (not being in Calgary I don't experience the monster Bow River browns y'all do), I tend more often than not to never get a fish to the reel unless it is on the larger side. Tis a rare but occasionally happy occurrence for this novice!

Pline Fluoroclear. The big spools will last you years and save you a ton of money on tippet. 6lb-8lb Nymphing. 12-15lb streamers. Still working on spools from 2012-2013

I leave the tippet you buy from fly shops for dries, and even then I'm hesitant, usually going no smaller then 4x, which is rare that i even go that light. I dont believe that fly tippet ever breaks at its marketed breaking strength

• Like 1

Pline Fluoroclear. The big spools will last you years and save you a ton of money on tippet. 6lb-8lb Nymphing. 12-15lb streamers. Still working on spools from 2012-2013

I leave the tippet you buy from fly shops for dries, and even then I'm hesitant, usually going no smaller then 4x, which is rare that i even go that light. I dont believe that fly tippet ever breaks at its marketed breaking strength

I thought (perhaps incorrectly so) that regular fluoro fishing line was a much higher diameter in comparison to a similar test of tippet. So, while I can see the advantages of using something like fluoroclear for streamers and larger nymphs, isn't it a little difficult to work with for smaller flies, like 14-20 stuff? Maybe I have just drank too much of the kool-aid this past year that SA & Rio are "giving" away, and am way off base here.

Here is a crazy idea that I use. 6lb maxima for dry fly fishing (fits in my #18 BWO). 12lb maxima for streamer fishing. 10lb Fluoro for all my stillwater fishing. When nymphing in the Bow with big worms and stoneflies I have used 10-14lb mono. And surprising I have still caught fish and land them quickly with essentially no break offs. Try it out

• Like 1

So, doing some intraweb surfing over the lunch hour. Looks like both the p-line and the Maxima 6-lb lines are 0.23mm/0.009", or equivalent to 2X diameter in the tippet realm. Strength comparison to Rio

fluoroflex+ 12lb

fluoroflex is 8lb

powerflex+ 12lb

powerflex 10lb.

As has already been mentioned, you could have some bad tippet material. I had that happen when I bought some RIO material from a store that was blowing out some old stock, and it sounds like the same sort of thing you are describing. If it's only happening when you are nymphing and not fishing dries then it could also be simple abrasion. I use maxima for nymphing and SA or climax for dryfly and still water for that reason.

Fish the biggest tippet possible. I don't even waste my time with tippet anymore. I purchase Pline Flouro, I fish it for everything but dries. I use 15lb for streamers and for my nymph rigs to the swivel, after the swivel I run 8lb and 6lb. For streamers I chuck a piece of 15lb, rarely do I break off.

If you are breaking 8 lb leader on 16" fish then you have rotten leader, poor knots tied or "wind knots" in the tippet. Wind knots can reduce breaking strength by 50% or more. On still waters we often tend to try longer casts with the result that a poor cast can result in a wind knot that you might not notice until the leader pops and you notice a little curl in the leader where the knot used to be.

Check your leader by tying the tippet to a solid object then pointing the rod at the tight line and then raising the tip as in trying to break the leader. With 8 lb tippet I doubt you will break it with anything less than an 8 or 9 wt rod unless you have poor material or weak knots.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Try the rapala knot. I was experiencing a lot of break offs using the clinch and improved clinch. A buddy suggested using the rapala knot and I have only experienced one break off in the last month since switching. I swing streamers and use 3x Tippett. Last week I landed a 30" rainbow and the knot was good to go for a couple of more fish before I called it a day...