Fly Fusion Forums

Need Some Opinions

Swede

So I've Been fishing this technique this year. I'm sure you have all read about it or maybe you even use it yourself. Now I've read about in many fly fishing books and if you read the Alberta weekly Fishing report the lad doing the lake section usually recommends using it.

The technique is using super fast sinking lines to drag a floating hook down to the bottom and retrieving it. I absolutely love this style of fishing its very fun for me. First thing i do is peel my line off right to the backing and double haul my whole line out into the lake sometimes even shooting backing with my line. For me its that act of bombing casts as far as I can that i find appealing.

The problem with this technique is its fricken brutal on the trout. They tend to just inhale the hook if you let them. Now I've modified my flies by going to a little more open gap and cutting about 1/8 of an inch off the point and re sharping making sure there is no barb what so ever left on the hook I started losing about 1/3 of the trout i hooked just by them throwing my hook. Also i keep my hook moving to minimize deep hooking..Been working pretty good my hook falls out as soon as there netted nine times out of ten.

Problem is no matter how aware you are your going to deep hook a few fish .

I just don't know what to do i love this style of fishing but i hate it at the same time. i don't want to piss off the old boys on the lake either because if I know its hard on trout so do they and I have i lot of respect for those guys

So anyone have any advice on how to make this technique work without damaging fish. Am at the point where am going to cut my hook off at the top of the bend and just leave strait shaft and just fish for strikes still alot of fun really.

Give circle hooks a try. Years ago I was crazed by walleye jigging. Had a same problem as you do, only difference I was using a spinning setup. Circle hooks helped out, and majority of fish ended with a lip piercing.

You could also bend the hook point towards shank, don't try this with high carbon hooks as you will break them.

I did consider circle hooks but i think the problem is the technique itself and the response it gets from trout and not the hooks themselves. I've got it to about 98% of the trout I hook it's in the lips or close to it. But last time i used it was on Thursday and I was just slaying trout almost every cast. The problem was when i stopped to help the wife land a fish i would hook a fish while my fly sat out there not moving and sure as heck it would be deep.

Gunna try not letting it sink on a slack line just stay tight till it sinks and if i can't have my hands on the line all rip it in and get it out of the water.

So you mean bend the hook point up towards the shank to change the angle it takes to remove it? I've actually been bending mine away from the shank so you just have to push it back a bit to get it out.

I think you have the answer in that you have to keep your fly moving. I had the same problem fishing booby's and actually quit doing it till I was told to keep the fly moving.. I think everybody has this problem so you're not alone..

Mike

GrDrake,

As Riconus points out, it is an issue unless you strip quickly. The technique is developed by the Brits who generally kill all they catch. Didn't matter much. I too tried the technique allowing the line to lay flat on the bottom and retrieve it slowly. Deep hooking every time. For this reason, I gave it up. Two years ago I watch Brian Chan fish the floating flies with sinking lines. He retrieved fast w/o a problem. So, I gave it a try again and Brian's technique was a lot more fish friendly. I fish a type 4 in 4'>6' of water. Either you keep it moving or you're weeded.

So, sped it up or kill a bunch of trout.

Don

Not sure on how to help. But does this kind of fly fishing have a name? It does sound pretty effective and would like to give it a go.

Thanks

Its the same as any technique sometimes it works and most times it doesn't.

GrDrake, As Riconus points out, it is an issue unless you strip quickly. The technique is developed by the Brits who generally kill all they catch. Didn't matter much. I too tried the technique allowing the line to lay flat on the bottom and retrieve it slowly. Deep hooking every time. For this reason, I gave it up. Two years ago I watch Brian Chan fish the floating flies with sinking lines. He retrieved fast w/o a problem. So, I gave it a try again and Brian's technique was a lot more fish friendly. I fish a type 4 in 4'>6' of water. Either you keep it moving or you're weeded. So, sped it up or kill a bunch of trout. Don.

My retrieve hook ups have been fine. All just have to be a little more careful when am helping the wife.