Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Theft Deterrent

For those of you who leave your boat parked on your driveway, what do you use to prevent someone from coming up and hooking up to their trailer and driving away with your best friend?

I have a key deadbolt lock to prevent a ball hitch from connecting. but that's pretty useless if someone has a pair of cutters.

are there any locks or anything you guys use?

Currently my boat is locked away in the garage but I would like to store outside on my driveway. im super paranoid that someone will hook up to it and drive off. another fear is if its parked outside someone could easily take off the boat cover and jack my oars as well. first world problems I guess

thanks in advance

Those yellow boots are probably the best bet for security?

My sister's husband had their sleds on a trailer in the driveway,with a chain around the axle running under garage door,and chained to his motocross inside.

3am they were shook outta bed by what sounded like a car crashing into their house.....you guessed it,it was his bike being ripped thru the garage door and drug down the street,sparks flying.BnL jumped in his truck and gave chase in his underwear,and they must've had bolt cutters,as he found his mangled bike only a few blocks away.********* got away with the sleds,although one was recovered by cops a year or so later?

I know that it won't stop the actual theft of your boat, but SPOT makes a device that attaches to any car,truck,boat etc. that will track the said item by satellite. The unit is cheap but the yearly activation will cost a bit. Don't know how much.

• Like 2

I know that it won't stop the actual theft of your boat, but SPOT makes a device that attaches to any car,truck,boat etc. that will track the said item by satellite. The unit is cheap but the yearly activation will cost a bit. Don't know how much.

Along with locks the SPOT Trace is a great way to go. Hide it in your unit. Sends you an alert text or message when it is moved with your unit, see where it is in real time on Google maps. You can follow and take any action you deem fit.

You need something on the wheel like a boot. The hitch locks don't work they just chain or strap the hitch neck to their hitch and deal with the lock later. If you disable the wheels then there isn't much they can do. Make sure you call your insurance company and get special coverage for your boat. It is cheap and it covers theft and accident, Say if your boat slid off the trailer or you flipped it on the river.

• Like 1

there are some pretty serious hitch locks available that cost hundreds. see them on work trailers a lot. but I suppose troutlover's point should be considered. wouldn't have thought you could actually connect it strongly enough to your hitch if it wasn't on the ball.

my solution is a drift boat circa early 1980s.

I park mine in the back alley in an area some people would consider 'suspect'. I have a hit lock and I also have a lock and cable around the frame of the trailer. Also have a motion sensor light and a camera mounted on the garage.

I even have a padlock on the anchor. I also remove the oars and store them in the garage after each use.

I think I have it covered...