Fly Fusion Forums

Found This Guy On My Back Door This Morning...

ÜberFly

Rhithrogena morrisoni. There sure have been lots of them emerging on some stretches of the lower Bow this year.

March Browns were a minor species on the Bow until 2012, when their populations exploded. Fishies love em'. The Duns start coming off typically in mid too late morning. The spinner falls start in the late afternoon and continue into the early evening. This years spinners falls have been terrific, which is not typical of March Browns as the spinner falls are usually brief. I've been having success with a #12 Adams (not a parachute) with dry floatant for the duns, but no floatant for the spinners as they sit lower on the water. Look for rising fish in the tail outs of pools with good riffle water at the head. That's where the trout will line up for a March Brown dinner.

• Like 1

Currently on the injured reserve list since Mexico in Jan. Haven't been out this season other then a trip to Bruce about 3 weeks ago which solidified the fact that my arm isn't healed yet! :crybaby:

It probably hitched a ride with you from the river. Lately, whenever I return from the river my truck seems to have Skwala's, March Browns, Midges or BWO's living in it.

Saits not much of a wind-blown distance away. Watch how high the swallows are feeding sometime and you'll realize just how far these bugs can go with a good updraft and wind

Then this is the likely scenario as I have also observed Mayflys far from the river and roadways.

Just curious, do march browns typically emerge by swimming through the water columns to the surface, or crawling out the edge of the river?

Actually neither. The March Brown nymph escapes its nymphal casing on the stream bottom and then gases trapped between its wings and body creates bouyancy, which enables it to float up too the surface. That is why there are no shucks on the water or shoreline during a March Brown emergence

• Like 2