Fly Fusion Forums

Dacron Backing

Cutbow16

I had a question on the typical lifespan of Dacron backing. If the backing has been treated fairly well and has not been abused too much, how long will it last? Will the lifespan change if the reel/backing has been used in freshwater or saltwater? This is something I have wondered about and any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've had a reel with dacron degrade in only a couple of seasons. I was kind of surprised when I could break it with my hands. So if you think you might need it, check it where it meets the end of the fly line. This is where my dacron degraded and I had to cut about 15' of it off before it was up to break strength. For trout fishing, I never see my backing as I really put the pressure on the fish right away and don't let them go very far, so the dacron is just there to fill in the spool.

• Like 1

A few years back while on a BC river the fellow I was fishing with had a take that took him out to his backing and then lost his entire fly line. The Dacron backing was abut 5 years old, when I checked it out I could pull it apart with my hands, totally rotten. It was an eye opener. I remember the old braided black line we used for backing in the 60's (cotton based) and it would start degrading in 3 years. I don't think it's UV but moisture/water chemicals/film/dirt that does it. On the other hand I have D backing that is around 6 that is like new (I carefully check my lines very year and give em a good wash along with my fly lines. I think it helps but I also think some brands are more susceptible to rapid degradation.

• Like 1

I've never had any problems, and I have used dacron backing all my life. Many times, I have had fish go into the backing, and its always held. Its interesting to hear how it can get rotten. It gets wet often times if the reel is in the water, and takes a long time to dry out, which I could see causing rot. I think I will check it more now, after reading this post.

• Like 2

I use Dacron backing of 50 lb. test for a binding cord when building bamboo rods. The stuff is cleaned with mineral spirits and abused a lot. It finally starts to fray after binding the came pieces together. I get upwards of 20 rods from one cord. It is tough stuff. I also use 130 lb. test stuff for tying everything together outdoors. Never had a failure. Used Dacron as backing for over 40 years w/o a failure yet.

I also understand it is used a suture material.

Don

• Like 1