Fly Fusion Forums

Argh :(

Aah man, my kid was just the last cut from Team Brick Alberta :( he's %$#&ing crushed and to be honest so am I! He's never been cut before, this is a tough one. Standing there with all the other parents waiting for the boys to come out and then watching him walk down the hallway crying was really hard. They took them in and told them one at a time, so he came walking out by himself for everyone to see, it was really awful :(

anyways just saying

Oh man it was awful, wish i could shake the mental picture of him walking down the hallway by himself balling :( Anyways its a done deal, he got cut, first time ever! No Team Alberta for my kid this year. He's just crushed, had to go back to his spring team last night. Once he got out there I could tell he was having fun, its hard for him though. His best friend was the team alberta goalie last season so he really wanted to make it this season. Beings that he was the last cut doesnt help, he wanted to be on the team, not make it to the end to get sliced and diced.

Yeah for sure, Ive had him out to the lake twice flicking the fly rod for the first time this week. He was pumped, hooked his first couple fish on a fly rod completely unassisted but, never landed them, i could see the fire start to burn :) he got all mad when I said it was time to go home lol!! "one more cast, one more cast, one more cast" last for a good hour. Gotta get him out there a few more times, its a great distraction from anything!

• Like 2

The late cuts are the toughest. Kids get their hopes up higher the deeper they get into the process.I found that my kid moves on and forgets about it quicker than I do. I've learned from him, although it still hurts to see him hurt. Look at it this way, you just saved yourself a boat load of cash.

For sure, beings that Team Alberta is based out of Edmonton we def saved on money and travel. We where ready for all that though and you dont want to fall out of the conversation. Anyways, He's playing for another spring team now, we're flying to Vancouver for a tourney tomorrow :) This weeks been a bloody whirlwind!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

It's great he put his skates back on quickly and went out to enjoy the sport with friends. He did get cut but the people who cut him could have easily made a mistake by doing so and many people who have played in the NHL were also cut at some time in their hockey careers. I believe that being cut or having small set backs in life are some of the best/strongest character builders out there too. Good sportsmanship is a skill only learned by experiencing both sides of the after game hand shakes etc.

It's great he put his skates back on quickly and went out to enjoy the sport with friends. He did get cut but the people who cut him could have easily made a mistake by doing so and many people who have played in the NHL were also cut at some time in their hockey careers. I believe that being cut or having small set backs in life are some of the best/strongest character builders out there too. Good sportsmanship is a skill only learned by experiencing both sides of the after game hand shakes etc.

Thanks man, good lesson learned :) gotta work on his fly casting now!!!

And sometimes a new door opens. When I was 16 i tried out for the midget aaa team in Regina. I made it to the last exhibition game and after it I was cut. I felt devastated, that was not supposed to happen. 3 days later I got a call from the midget aaa team in moose jaw who said they have a spot for me. 1 week later I moved there and started playing. 2 months later I got listed by the Warriors WHL team and played 20 games with them when they needed it. I then played 3 more years with them plus 4 for the university of Regina. I had a great career, have my engineering degree and have a great life. All put on a course from a point that at 16 seemed like the end of the world. It made me who I am today. One door closes and a new one opens!

• Like 2