Fly Fusion Forums

Question About Steelhead Fishing

So I have been trying to jump into the steelhead game for a few years now but prime time comes at a time of year when I just cant seem to make it work. The problem is Hunting season gets in the way and this year I decided a choice had to be made and I think I'm going to take a break from hunting which I enjoy but my passion really lies with fishing. So my question is why do fishermen choose to drive all the way to terrace and pay the daily fees when Idaho is much closer and there are no daily fees? Are the fish different? Am I missing something? Second question is why go spey? Is it simply for casting distance if walk and wading? I have a jet boat so access to runs and whichever side of the river shouldn't be an issue so would it make sense for me to just go with a single hand rod?

I choose to go all the way to bc because your catching the steelhead at the beginning part of the run. they are much more plentiful.

I spey depending on the river im fishing, normally where I catch steelies are bigger rivers with runs in the middle or other side of the river which a one hander cannot reach to from one side no matter how far you cast. its nice to get such a big swing cause you can cover tonnes of water. plus its nice to use both hands to reel a monster in. you could try a single hand rod but Its just so much easier with a spey.

• Like 1

Skeena steelhead are all wild, typically bigger, and are also remarkably accesible to dry flies, which is pretty rare. There is a reason that many guys go to BC from Idaho..

The real advantage with a spey rod, is that you're casting all day long. I know a few fellows that still do the single hand rod, and still do very well, however are typically pretty damn wornout from fishing. You don't need a spey to be hitting the middle of the river, and typically if you're fishing all the way out, you're going to be missing a lot of fish that are up close. I've caught a lot of steelhead with just the sink-tip out the top of the rod. However, you will note that 90% of the guys are using spey rods, with our without a jet. You'll be surprised by how few people are dedicated walk and waders in that region during prime time. I'd say the vast majority have a watercraft of some sort.

Spey rods are helpful in my mind for:

a) ease of getting distance for people who don't have a strong single hand casting, especially with big tips and flies

B) way easier mending. The extra ~3-4 feet make a LOT of difference. Most of the steelhead game comes on how well you can swing a fly, and spey rods just tend to do it a little better when you're doing long casts with a lot of different currents.

c) way easier to fish on day 6 of a 2 week trip then a single hander. A 9 weight single hander will break you down pretty quickly

d) easier to use when you're fishing out of the deep rough.

I'd also say that the vast majority of guys that are up there are fishing a lot heavier then they need to, which a spey rod does a lot easier than a single hander.

Note that with your jet, the Smithers area is going to be a better bet for fall fishing. That shaves off 2.5 hours off the drive anyway. You can always go hunting as well up there, some very good birding opportunities from what I've heard.

Jarrod, feel free to PM me for more info, I've spent a pretty good chunk of time up there in the last 6 years.

• Like 4