Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing The Bow In Winter

Hi this has probably been covered and do apologize if it has. When do you draw the line when fishing in the winter temp wise like just above 0 or do you wait a couple days of good plus weather?

I'm not sure how to post pics but last good Chinook we had I caught a decent size around 15" bull trout by glen more bridge and it was a mild day and he took the reese pieces San juan.

What thoughts do you guys have?

• Like 1

I try to get out when its over 0. This time of year, even if its only one day of warm weather, several days of warm weather can weaken ice shelves, which is scary as hell! Lost a fish on an ice shelf because I heard a wicked crack while fighting it and decided to get the heck out of dodge as opposed to land it. Nothing happened, but did manage to hook and land that same fish on the next swing lol

While fishing the bow in the winter do you still wade out into thew water or try and stay on the shore? Im thinking about because of both water temperature and floating ice.

Also for me i haven't fished the bow yet this winter, but if i did i would want the temperatures to be at least above 0, if not more.

My concern is less about my own comfort level than how the cold air affects the fish. I feel that the eyes of the fish are vulnerable and could possibly experience some slight frost bite. Just think about how it feels when you get your hands wet. I would imagine if you kept the fish in the water and simply twist or flip the hook out it wouldn't be exposed to as much cold air.

Long winded answer to a short question I know. My fishing is limited to temperatures above the freezing mark.

• Like 2

It less depends on the temperature and more depends what the river looks like, if it's slushy I stay away; if it's clear I'm going fishing if I can. Still have to be careful for those ice shelves though...

1. At the end of every cast get in the habit of taking a glance upstream to see what's coming.

2. Always know what the general depth/speed of water underneath the ice you're standing is and if it's safe. If you're ever unsure, move on.

If it's hovering around -5 to +2, your guides are going to ice up a bit, pretty easy fix, you'll get good at clearing your guides quickly after doing it a couple times.

If it's in -10 land you're only going to get about ten casts before you'll have to clear your guides...But that's the least of your worries. The frustration of your flies turning into little frozen fly line dingle berries and getting contact frozen to everything that isn't a fish is what keeps me off the river at these temps

And at -15 (yup) you go to the river, take one cast, and go home.

tl;dr Fly tying exists for a reason.

tl;dr Fly tying exists for a reasoN

^^^you have that right lol^^^

So from the responses I'm not crazy I was worried for a little while ha you guys have brought some good points though I keep for getting to check my guides when I was out good explanation for some casts where I've stood puzzled for a moment... See I have been fly fishing for several years now but never went out during winter also partly no fishing to be had while in the patch.

I'm definitely going to be out there this weekend

My concern is less about my own comfort level than how the cold air affects the fish. I feel that the eyes of the fish are vulnerable and could possibly experience some slight frost bite. Just think about how it feels when you get your hands wet. I would imagine if you kept the fish in the water and simply twist or flip the hook out it wouldn't be exposed to as much cold air. Long winded answer to a short question I know. My fishing is limited to temperatures above the freezing mark.

this

• 3 weeks later...

Floating down the river on an ice flow is on my angling bucket list.

But seriously, keep your eyes upstream when the weather gets nice. Getting hit in the back of the knees by even a small hunk of ice can be a religious experience.

Pinkster - funny you mentioned ice flow surfing. Buddy and I were out last week and I was standing on ice. Whole sheet about 15 feet wide and 30 feet long detached from bank. I rode it all the way into the rapids!

Pinkster - funny you mentioned ice flow surfing. Buddy and I were out last week and I was standing on ice. Whole sheet about 15 feet wide and 30 feet long detached from bank. I rode it all the way into the rapids!

Check out my blog that I'm going to try and have up tomorrow, there might be a referencing to ice flow surfing :D