Fly Fusion Forums

Articulated Streamer Hook Size

jaymack

I am looking to start tying up some bigger, articulated streamers, mainly for the Bow. I am wondering what some opinions are on hook sizes and shank lengths are. I was looking at some patterns which call for up to a 2/0 Gamakatsu B10S, and a size 1 saltwater hook for the trailer. These seem like awfully large hooks to put into a trout. I was thinking of going with longer shanked, 3-4x long streamer hooks in sizes 2-6 or so, which will still give me the length without the massive gape.

I have never fished articulated streamers before, let alone tried to tie one, so I was also wondering about the pros and cons of using just a shank for the front part of the fly vs a hook, and anything else that might help

Guest bigdirty

I'm also interested in what people are doing for articulated streamers.

Here's what I do, two size six gamakatsu b10s stingers. Would use size 4 but they are always sold out.

IMG_20150129_221114_zpspzt1ik9b.jpg

Don't eat me

IMG_20150129_220406_zpsriee8tcb.jpg

• Like 1

I go 2/0 b10s-1/0 b10s. Or another good alternative is the daichii 2720 2/0-1/0, those things do not miss.

You will be shocked at how many fish you will miss with narrow gapes. Its actually bloody frustrating. Its not like the bow is fishery where you're doing considerable damage with mortality.

If you're fishing big flies you're typically looking for big trout, i dont think you're going to be doubting the decision to use wide gape hooks when mr 2'+ long bruinsie comes your way. But you might be cursing yourself when he tries to eat your streamer 3 or 4 times and you dont even prick him. Plus you'll keep most of the runty baby trout < 18" off your flies too which is nice.

• Like 1

I go 2/0 b10s-1/0 b10s. Or another good alternative is the daichii 2720 2/0-1/0, those things do not miss.

You will be shocked at how many fish you will miss with narrow gapes. Its actually bloody frustrating. Its not like the bow is fishery where you're doing considerable damage with mortality.

If you're fishing big flies you're typically looking for big trout, i dont think you're going to be doubting the decision to use wide gape hooks when mr 2'+ long bruinsie comes your way. But you might be cursing yourself when he tries to eat your streamer 3 or 4 times and you dont even prick him. Plus you'll keep most of the runty baby trout < 18" off your flies too which is nice.

dear lord...size 2/0s for trout? Are you trying to catch them, or brain them so they are easier to land? Actually thinking to yourself that 'you're not doing considerable damage with mortality' due to the population size of the Bow as a reason to use a 2/0 is repulsive.

For trout I'd suggest size 4 and smaller as the trailer. This is more then enough for ALL trout, regardless of 'chasing the big guys'.

There is really no need to be fishing double hooks. If you're so hard pressed to land a fish, technique is going to do a lot more for you then adding more pointy bits. I'll certainly play the precautionary principle card on this one.

I use mustad 3407 DT for shanks. Cut the hook off, and use a small stinger. You can get these in pretty well any size, so if you're tying a large fly, just go to a bigger 3407 (and cut off the hook..). The point of a stinger is that you have a small hook shank, such that it is harder to become a lever to pop out of the fish. Big Dirty's fly looks plenty capable, and isn't of ridiculous gape size.

Guest bigdirty

That's intruder wire. I find it helps keep the rear hook from fouling on the head. Also I like the connection to the back hook, lots of freedom to move.

I use Gamakatsu Octopus hooks for trailing hooks for bows and bulls. (I'm in BC so we are only allowed one hook. The trailed hook is all you need anyway, unless a particular fly design requires the keel effect of two hooks to swim in an upright position). A #4 hook on a 3 - 3 1/2" fly is perfect. I tend to keep my hooks as small as is reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...