Fly Fusion Forums

Things That Caught My Eye At The Show

Guys/Gals,

Spent Sunday wandering around the FF Show in Calgary looking at this and that.

There were several things that caught my eye.

1] The Hobie Fishing Kayak see: Glenmore Boats just off 16th Ave. Good guys run this place - I get my rod varnish from them.

2] Semperfli nano silk that Gary Hanke showed me - for the info see:http://www.semperfli.net/nano-silk-50-denier.html

3] Semperfli tying Scissors see:http://www.semperfli.net/6-finger-fly-tying-scissors.html

4] The travellarereel which is a reel body that comes with 4 spools. The provided spools are for 2/3, 4/5, 6/7, & 8/9

see:www thetravellerreel.com for more info. The web site is now up http://thetravellerreel.com/

5] The lazer engraving of cork handles by Erich Bittmann see:http://www.troutnv.com/

Semperfli products can be found at Fishtales.

Did I miss anything?

regards,

Don

Well the reel guys did tell me the web site is under construction and that it wouldn't work. The concept is a terrific idea; looks incredibly detailed and difficult to pull of in terms of precision machining. Impressive prototypes though.

Been talking to Gary H for a few months now; he was kind enough to give me a tying lesson. That nano silk looks like awesome stuff.

I may be doing a saltwater trip at the end of March, so what I took away was the incredible opportunity to test drive various rods and reels. Predictably, I liked the Sage One and Method. Seemed to have en edge for me over the Orvis Helios 2 in the 8 weight class. Though, I'm pretty happy with my Helios 1 4 weight. I tried a few of the rods featured in the Yellowstone Angler's 8 weight shootout. http://goo.gl/TMZ9pp
The G Loomis NRX was a nice rod too. Surprise of the day was how the equivalent 8 weight Pieroway felt in my hand. Any further thoughts from anyone regarding Pieroway; they seem like the reel deal in terms of affordability matched with decent performance?

Got lots of opinions on the 7wt versus 8 wt debate in regards to a great starter bonefish light Permit rod, I'm definitely going the way of 8 weight (doubling up on Steelhead and Pike too). With wind being a factor, I think the 8 weight offers more versatility.

I am continually impressed by 3-Tand reels. Very likely my next purchase in both freshwater and most certainly the saltwater reels. Especially in the salt versions that allow multiple sized spools.

Met Pipes from the board in regards to the hunting trip I won in the auction, even though I couldn't connect my dad and him this past fall. For sure this fall. What a great guy. Not surprising, since every member I've met from FFC in person are "goodfellas". Ditto for Murray and Lornce, and thanks Murray for showing me his killer backswimmer pattern. Can't wait to try it on Edmonton lakes.

I've "evolved" from attending these shows; I used to focus on presentation, equipment, and goodies, now it's about talking to people and connecting.

Really want to go somewhere for spring break (late March) and the show helped me prioritize my choices; 1) Belize 2) Van Island 3) Montana

Great show as usual. Great people as usual.

Smitty

The traveler reel was good to see. A great idea well developed. If they get a decent drag knob with detents on there, they should do very well.

The 3-tand reels were impressive as well. I was in the market for a modern, light, grey colored reel and checked a few out at the show. This one stood out in general (weight, design, quality, pedigree), but add the price into the equation and I can't imagine having gone home with anything else. The value is remarkable.

There was also a wireless fish finder that works over smart phones or pads. Another Calgary company. Looked pretty slick, but not really something I need.

Overall, my favorite part was seeing a couple local companies that are capitalizing on clever inventions and have got as far as development and marketing.

As Freddy Mercury once said "I Want It All". First time I have had a hands-on look at the 3-Tand reels; they look and feel pretty awesome! As someone who has yet to tie his first fly, all of the fly tying stuff was very intruiging. I loved watching the Norvice guy... he makes it all look so easy. Gotta walk before you run, so think I will stick with my cheap Cabela's vice for now.