Fly Fusion Forums

Boat Launch / Pick Up Etiquette

cgyguy

Hey it's January 2015, not much going on besides work and day dreaming of fishing. With this in mind, I am not trying to start a bitch fest or argument, I was just wondering what everyone thinks is good etiquette for dropping your boat of to launch or pick up?

For me, I do my very best to get my boat in the water by having it ready with everything in it, before I back it down. Vice versa for picking it up. My routine would be:

Prior to backing up:

Ensure boat plug is in (Duohh!), load the oars, battery (if applicable), life jackets, anchor

Load up your boat with rods, reels, clothing, pretty much everything you will be taking with you. Prepare your rods and have them ready to go prior to you dropping off the boat

Most times with me, they are one of the last things I load

Wait my turn

And when it is my turn

Have the boat backed up and ready to back in\

When clear

Proceed into the put in, have a buddy assist you, let the boat off the trailer, have your assistant hold onto to the boat or pull it away from the put in, and wait for me

Pull the vehicle up and out and leave the put in area - go park

All that is left is to jump in the boat and get away from the take out so as to allow the other boats to be dropped off or picked up!

I think good etiquette comes in many fashions but one I always like to do, is offer my help where needed, and if needed. I try to be pleasant to all persons at the boat launch, you never know when you might need someone on the water. Having a bad experience at a put in is never fun and kind of ruins the rest of the day. Getting to know a few of the people that will be on the river with you is always a pleasure, and offering your assistance where you can always makes for a great day.

I remember reading about a nasty experience one of the guides had last year where it got physical and the police were called. Certainly not a good day for anyone involved in that I suspect. Have a great 2015!

Cheers

Cgyguy

• Like 2

I think you nailed it. Maybe I would mention to not assume the worst of people and take a minute to educate if you see ignorance. You are going to find out real fast if the person is a newb or an idiot. Be prepared to just walk away if they are an arse. I was new last year and I made a few mistakes at the launch but quickly learned the drill. The dirty looks often let me know when I was out of line but nobody was an ***hole to me. On one particular occasion I deserved to be called out I just wasn't thinking I quickly apologized and the guy said he figured I was new to my boat and to not worry about it. he chose not to let me ruin his day or mine. That's the kind of guys I like to fish with.

• Like 1