Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2015 Edition

AndyR

Here is the old timey classic wet fly version. Browns like these.

DSC_0174.jpg

Interesting tidbit re:the Alexandra.....I'm not sure if it's still the case,but at one time at least on many waters in the UK,the Alexandra was considered such a lethal and effective pattern that it was actually BANNED!!

Interesting tidbit re:the Alexandra.....I'm not sure if it's still the case,but at one time at least on many waters in the UK,the Alexandra was considered such a lethal and effective pattern that it was actually BANNED!!

That's right, it does work at times. Its first name was "Lady of the Lake", It was re-named in honor of Princess Alexandra young Princess of Whales. Mind you in those days in England many river beats where dry fly only. It would be sacrilege to even think of using wet flies or streamers. An insult to the Trout. So a fly like this was a poachers weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few attempts at the Hog Caller Hopper out of this months issue of NorthWest FlyFishing, this is what I've come up with. There are rubber legs to be attached at the end of the foam ones. Do it before yo attach the foam, I forgot on this one and its the only one that looks good so here it is. I suck at posts and grizzly hackle so have simpled it up a bit. May add some yarn for visual but, this is a big fly.

IMG_2166_zpsljg5stn7.jpg

IMG_2167_zpsilz0ue08.jpg

IMG_2168_zpsoiyyvbvv.jpg

• Like 2

That looks like a Killer Hopper pattern!

Thanks man, its an involved tie! Front legs are long but, I haven't cut them yet. Always do that last or at the water, you just never know.

Hog caller hopper is very cool, nice tie. Something to try is glue some lead into the rear segments of the abdomen this will make the back end sit low in the water and you would be amazed at how effective a hopper that sits low in the water is. The best is when you balance them to the point that they "bob" under the surface and back up, kind of balanced in the film. This can also be accomplished with a dropper (which is usually the most practical way to go). Very deadly tactic especially on trout that reject a high floating foam.

• Like 1

Thanks man. I love fishing a Hopper Dropper. Sweet tip about the weight in the back end, never even crossed my mind. Will def tie a couple up like that for versatility. As I haven't fished this pattern yet, my neighbours kid came up to me yesterday and thanked me for the hopper that I gave him, said he got 2 cutties on the Oldman with it on Saturday :) so I gave him another one :) Cant wait to give it a try myself!!