Fly Fusion Forums

Close Calls

About 10 years ago me and my buddy Peter & Gord the Hoover went pike fishing out too badger .

30 k winds not great but we went anyway.

Flogged around for hours and kept an eye on the skyline.

Bluebird day with a belt of brown we could see way way off in distance.

The wind held strong & the belt of brown came closer.

It came to the point that the belt was coming closer and we made a full out run back the launch.

By the time we made it the belt was on us with a large funnel cloud bearing down.

The lake was full of upturned boats & we could only see brown.

The funnel centered on my truck and hammered us with unbelievable power !

I seem to involve my self in all sorts of bad weather(decisions) and I'm still here!

I know you guys have seen a bunch of different situations.... Lets hear about them.

I don't care if its a bear up your ass, running from an electrical storm, tornado,rain, high water, boat flying off your trailer, whatever ...it's a long winter lets hear it.

Few years ago at the end of September a buddy and I ended up flipping my canoe on the bow between Legacy and Carseland. Drifted along for a bit and just before a set of rapids had a guide with clients rescue us. Then warmed up on shore and hiked about two miles downstream around cliffs and got to the beat up canoe which enabled us to get to my truck. Thank god it was a sunny day and for the kindness of the guide and his clients.

About 20 years ago also on Badger I parked my truck and camper on the dike peninsula and fished in my then 14 foot aluminum boat. action was pretty good and as late afternoon was approaching I looked behind me toward the launch after noticing the water getting rough from the building wind. I intended to spend another night, but as I saw conditions worsen I noticed all boats heading off the lake. By the time I trolled back near the camper I was the last boat on the water and winds picked up to about 50 k. I flew off the water when I noticed a funnel cloud forming and coming my way.The clouds opened up and wind went crazy. Didn't have time to pack up and get out so pulled the boat right up on shore and ran for the camper. It was so windy my camper and 3/4 ton were rocking like crazy. It was electric everywhere and touching down near by.Wind got to about 80k and so windy the rain was being seep through the windows and roof escape vent. It was quite the experience for most of the night. Next morning my boat was full of rain water, should have pulled the plug but wanted out of the weather. Just driving off the dike was a challenge. Even in 4 wd the truck and trailer would slide sideways on the washed out mud road. Thank god for 4x4 Also had a water funnel come up the Bow at me and my buddy Greg come straight at us and a guide with clients way down by the reserve. Water was spiraling 40 to 50 feet up the funnel. It was spooky. we didnt know where to go. The funnel hit a hard bend on the river and bounced up the bank and across a field. Don't screw with Mother Nature. I respect her very much.

About 5 years ago on the beautiful Bow at the end of a long day in the fall and I was out of the water with boat on trailer, out of my waders and getting ready to leave the launch above Carseland Weir. There was only one boat left on the river and he was doing a last run or two of the bank coming down to the launch. For no particular reason I thought I would get out of the truck for one good stretch and look at a few risers. Thank God for that. Buddy in his boat started to have motor problems. I heard him trying to start it and could quickly tell it was not getting fuel and he was drifting to the weir and there was no boom. After hearing many failed starts I yelled to drop his anchor, which was too small and did not slow the drift, so I yelled to start rowing all be it was a big alum 19 ft boat and was not going well. I have never launched my boat so fast in my years on water and likely never will again. Had my 14 ft jon and 15hp short shaft, was there in no time and tried to tie off and used strong arm, (Not much time to tie a sopping wet rope securely.) Started pulling him back to the launch about 20 feet from the weir..Turns out it was his first time out in this boat he bought and it ran when he tested it before. No timing is good timing for motor problems. After that, both he and I launched from the first launch at base of the hill so you have options for safe exit if problems arise. He is also a very nice fellow, so thank goodness for final stretches and risers.

• Like 1

Here's a bit of an embarrassing one for you.

A few years back a friend @ I were on the crow in march.

We buzzed around hole to hole taking a break midday for lunch.

We packed up & headed to the next spot.

Gearing up realized I somehow misplaced my favorite fingerless gloves.

Bummer, I couldn't find anywhere.

That's ok, you go fish I'm driving back to where we were & having a quick look.

I'll catch up I said.

Back to the spot, no gloves.

Ok I'll retrace my steps back where we fished.

I'm all alone,know one but my partner knows where I am.

I'm creeping along an icy back just about the water, the path is a

Tangle of branches , logs etc..

In a heartbeat my feet go out from under me & I hit the ground full force.

I land front down and immediately feel a searing heat down in my groin region.

I managed to fall on a chewed to a sharp point by a beaver, thick willow branch.

It punctured my waders through the crotch , slicing my left nut ball slightly

then pounding and thank cripes stopping into the side of my thigh right where

your big artery is ! Later resulting in a bruise the size of a grapefruit.

I lay there in horror afraid to reach down and check my business.

My hand comes up with blood on it, I take an inspection now and

determine I am ok and incredibly lucky.

I layed there thinking if I had bled out.

Returning to find my friend, no gloves, pride shattered, nothing but laughter & ridicule came from my friend.

If you read this you know who you are!

Much later in the day I found my gloves all the way down the pant legs of my waders.

Sorry if anyone is offended by this post,I just wanted to show how quick things can

go wrong.

Hoy *hit!!! Glad you came out ok...

Here's a bit of an embarrassing one for you.

A few years back a friend @ I were on the crow in march.

We buzzed around hole to hole taking a break midday for lunch.

We packed up & headed to the next spot.

Gearing up realized I somehow misplaced my favorite fingerless gloves.

Bummer, I couldn't find anywhere.

That's ok, you go fish I'm driving back to where we were & having a quick look.

I'll catch up I said.

Back to the spot, no gloves.

Ok I'll retrace my steps back where we fished.

I'm all alone,know one but my partner knows where I am.

I'm creeping along an icy back just about the water, the path is a

Tangle of branches , logs etc..

In a heartbeat my feet go out from under me & I hit the ground full force.

I land front down and immediately feel a searing heat down in my groin region.

I managed to fall on a chewed to a sharp point by a beaver, thick willow branch.

It punctured my waders through the crotch , slicing my left nut ball slightly

then pounding and thank cripes stopping into the side of my thigh right where

your big artery is ! Later resulting in a bruise the size of a grapefruit.

I lay there in horror afraid to reach down and check my business.

My hand comes up with blood on it, I take an inspection now and

determine I am ok and incredibly lucky.

I layed there thinking if I had bled out.

Returning to find my friend, no gloves, pride shattered, nothing but laughter & ridicule came from my friend.

If you read this you know who you are!

Much later in the day I found my gloves all the way down the pant legs of my waders.

Sorry if anyone is offended by this post,I just wanted to show how quick things can

go wrong.

That was a ball buster Dave. Pun intended. Glad it wasn't worse. Could have been real scary. A buddies dog jumped out of the boat to shore and impaled herself on a beaver chewed branch. Almost killed her but lucky she pulled through. Just proves we always have to be aware. Keep the eyes and ears open guy's. Play safe. And good idea to take a first aid kit.

I've had far to many, lucky my wife doesn't know. I was out alone on a long day float couple years back, I had noticed a big black cloud far to the north since early morning and I kept an eye on it all day. It didn't seem to be going anywhere and I really had no choice but to keep goings anyways as my car was still far away. Well of corse I was in a fast moving section with large boulders and shelves when I noticed the first eruption on the water a few yards away. Took a second and a quick glance at the cloud to figure out wtf was going on. With in seconds I was in hurricane force wind getting pounded by hail much bigger than golf balls the river was boiling with splashes reaching far over my head. I really needed to row just to stay afloat and work toward the nearest shore and I didn't think swimming in class IV rapids would be an upgrade.. Of corse there were no trees anywhere near by and I was taking hits in the head that were giving me the dusty taste in my mouth if you know what I mean. I made it to land and crawled under my pontoon to cover up as best as I could. All said and done I was covered with welts and bruises for a couple weeks my hands knees feet and back of my head were badly swollen. It was nearly a week before I was brave enough to float again.

I had a pair of young border collies proudly herd a moose calf my way whilst fishin' Chaffen Ck one day. Spent the next 2 1/2 hrs dealin' with a highly irritated and motivated cow moose, most of it playin' hide and go seek around a willow brush windrow.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I was fishing the Alexandra river system about an hour up highway 93 North. Well after spending the afternoon fishing up river I turned around and started down. At about the 2km mark from my truck I notice fresh cougar prints over top of my muddy boot prints. This went on for almost a km. Talk about send a chill down your spine. All you seem to think about is " remembering your parents house cat hunting that bird on the front lawn and the bird had no idea the cat was there " I think what saved me was just after the tracks began I ran into my fishing partner and the cat decided not mess with two of us. So I if you hear someone yelling here kitty kitty instead hey bear in the middle of nowhere its me.

Winter fishing the Bow 2 years ago. Temperature was hovering just around 0C. I had always payed attention to the water. I snagged up. I ventured a little way into the water to try to jerk the line free. The river had been clear...no slush or floaters. I was in the water up to my mid-thigh paying attention to the river bottom. A huge ice chunk took me out. I fell back onto the ice. It floated me downstream for about 15 m. The drag of my lags spun the ice chunk around. Once I was facing the bank, I hopped off in about waist deep water and almost fell completely in. I struggled out of the river deciding fishing was over for the day. Other than a being extremely cold, I was unscathed, but things could have gone much worse.

• Like 1

Winter fishing the Bow 2 years ago. Temperature was hovering just around 0C. I had always payed attention to the water. I snagged up. I ventured a little way into the water to try to jerk the line free. The river had been clear...no slush or floaters. I was in the water up to my mid-thigh paying attention to the river bottom. A huge ice chunk took me out. I fell back onto the ice. It floated me downstream for about 15 m. The drag of my lags spun the ice chunk around. Once I was facing the bank, I hopped off in about waist deep water and almost fell completely in. I struggled out of the river deciding fishing was over for the day. Other than a being extremely cold, I was unscathed, but things could have gone much worse.

http://www.sexyloops.com/2014.shtml?0620

The above is the story of my encounter with a young Grizzly on the Oldman River. I seem to have a knack for getting involved with bears!!!

Some of you know I write for the Sexyloops web site.

So Mods don't be pissed, I'm not selling or promoting just not rewriting the story, enjoy!

I've been chased by grizzlies while fishing on a few occasions in north central Alberta. In one case he was relentless and only let up when i crossed a sketchy beaverdam, he did not like the way it moved when he joined me on there and it gave me enough time to get out of the willows and draw my bearspray (waving a fly rod seems to confuse them a bit too). He did not leave me alone until i got to my truck a couple hundred yards away. Got back to the cabin and made sure the wife knew I loved her, never did tell her what put a scare into me that evening. Also had a close call while fishing the upper Red opening week a few years ago, slipped while netting a bull trout and dislocated my shoulder, it was a tough climb back to the truck after relocating it on the ice shelf that got me. Luckily I didn't slide into deeper water, I pay way more attention to ice/ slip hazards now. I also put a lot more effort into finding a fishing partners when possible, though in hindsight i also wouldn't trade some of the experiences for anything as they were great lessons and i escaped relatively unharmed.

• Like 1

Also ran into a blonde grizzly on the Oldman. Saw some tracks and decided the bear had gone the other way. So after fishing a couple of holes I cast along a fallen tree and hooked a beautiful big cut. I tend to whoop and the bear popped out of the bushes, charged and veered off away from the river and into the trees. I never even had a chance to grab the bear spray, and lost the fish too. I reeled in and headed for the truck and drove home.

• Like 1