Fly Fusion Forums

Storing 2 Fly Rigs.....hopper/dropper Etc

bigalcal

I have been using a lot of 2 fly rigs while fishing the last month. I have been using a hopper-dropper as well as a dry fly-emerger set up. What is a good way to store these 2 fly set ups in your vest while on the river. Also a suggestion of how to store the loose 18" pieces of tippet would be welcome.

Has anybody tried any of the hopper/dropper flyboxes available?

Thoughts?

Al,

What I have done in the past is use a square of closed cell foam (I think it came from the pkg you send in iPods for repair). Anyway, I just wrap the rig around the foam and tuck it away. Can put multiple rigs one one piece of foam.

P

MrBotangles,

Years ago I had a DeerStalker hat that was acquired from a British shop owner I meet in West Yellowstone. His company sold a olive green Deerstalker that had a 3/4" ribbon of Velcro sewn completely around the hat. It was a piece of cake of hook the top fly into the Velcro, wrap the leader around the hat and hook the tail fly.

Don

• Like 3

Here's what I do. Take an empty tippet spool, cut a strip of 2mm closed cell foam to match the interior width of the spool, and glue it to completely cover the interior base of the spool (super glue works well). To use, simply hook the bottom fly on the foam, wind the rest of the rig and finish by placing the elastic spool cover. Works great. I use it mostly for chirionomid rigs, which I connect to my leader with a barrel swivel. This storage system makes it easy to switch back and forth between an indicator rig and a normal dry line setup. Terry

• Like 1

The Orvis dropper boxes are pretty well exactly what you're looking for, and are good boxes

Hi bcube,

any idea who carries in town?

and great post MrBotangles

something ive struggled with for a while too, old tippet spools didn't work for me

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of those to store rigs. Was handy when I had my Pontoon and fished lakes. It was easy to carry on the pontoon or boat. But when wading I've been trying to cut down my "stuff". Anyway it only takes less then a minute to tie tie up any 2 fly rig or multi droppers and I found it just another "thing" to get in the way. But that's just me, others my find it handy.