Fly Fusion Forums

Bycatch

That's cool.

On the August long weekend my gal and I were fishing and about 7 30 pm when we noticed a deer that looked very nervous. We sat down on a log watching it and the mulie doe was really behaving oddly. Then I found out why, A big tom cougar was stalking it. Watched the action for 45 minutes and my gal got over 100 pictures. Never got to see him kill the doe but i don't think she made morning. Over that short period of time she became more and more complacent and let him get closer as time went on. The Tom knew we were there and never appeared concerned with our presence, a few times he actually sat on his butt wagging his tail while eying up the doe.

Next one, here he is. Friend and land owner was also with us. He estimated Cat at 180 lbs.

His grand son was also with us. These pics are monday night. The grand son(13yr old) slept over down on the river by himself in a trailer on the friday night as we were not going out until Saturday morning. He went out to pee at 5 am and then called his grramps(Gamps was wondering why he was phoning so early cause the kid dosn't get up well and told him there was something in the bushes watching him and he thought it was a cougar. We kinda blew it off as young guys imagination because he was alone and scared as first overnighter by himself. I told Gramps there was cougar fresh tracks on the river early Sunday morning..... We did hear lots of I told ya so from the youngster after that.

post-4041-0-56606000-1408891579_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I do have pics of him sitting too. He was never hiding from the doe and I think his whole plan was to just get a little bit closer as time war on and she got used to his presence. I think she was alone as I did not see any other deer around her. Maybe this way he only had to deal with one set of eyes? He sure is in beautiful shape, just ripling muscles. We know he was a male by a few shots of the package but that was difficult to see at first but we had the good fortune of watching him for an extended period of time- for a Cat anyway.

post-4041-0-31965800-1408892267_thumb.jpg

• Like 6