Fly Fusion Forums

Advice For The Best 4Wt. Rod

Guest spurly

Well, how about a 4 strip 7'0" 4 wt. Going to build at least one this winter. They cast well to 60', roll cast like a dream and present the fly softly.

Don

Sounds awesome. Have you built a quad before? /end derail

Roast,

The first one was done last year and fished just great. Unlike other rods, with only 4 flats, they make the rod track "true". The tip wants to run in a straight line with the handle. The taper throws a decent loop. Going to do some more 4 strippers this winter.

Regards,

Don

• Like 1

I was initially under the impression we where talking modern plastic rods, and there are many nice ones on the market. If I was to actually say my favorite all time fly rod, especially for dry fly, the one that throws the smoothest cast, tightest loops, lightest drop on a dry fly, the most accurate with the most power and combined with the best feel and control when fighting a Trout I would have to say hands down its my Lee Whulff 6 ft one piece Classic Midge Bamboo. Without a doubt this has been my favorite hands down over the last 10 years. It unfortunately, may not be easy to find one. Don could build you the taper though.

lee_zps12ca3888.jpg

• Like 1

Aside from warranty issues, Loops aren't bad rods at all. I don't think you would be that hard pressed to find people who truly enjoy casting their rods. I have a Loop 5 weight multi in my stash, in addition to a number of other trout rods. It isn't my all time favorite (I am still a sucker for the old XP's particularly the 690 but I'm sidetracking), but has no problem getting the job done. For a $350 rod it has been a great addition to my stable. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend the last generation of Cross S1 and Opti they had out with that terrible rigid cork.

Guest bigdirty

I have a 5wt 8ft butterstick. Has me fishing dries and light nymph rigs more than streamers right now. So much fun to cast. The trout, even the small ones, bend it right over. Easily cast 40ft no problem. Not great in the wind though.

Heard some good reports about the Butter Sticks and most seem to rate it as a medium in fiberglass. I've never cast one, only a quick waggle but some rate the Kenneys as a bit slower.

• Like 1

My next rod will be a 4 wt glass rod. The ones that I am looking at are the steffen 7'9"-8' 4wt which is one of the most highly regarded 4 wts on the fiberglass flyrodder forum and is very reasonable priced as a blank or full rod from Mark. I am also looking at the epic glass rods.

Asking for the best 4wt is like asking what are the best running shoes, you really have to try a bunch out;)

• Like 1

I have to agree, Roast, it's really imposable to pin down a particular rod as there are so many wonderful options out there now. It is a personal thing. I really think I will slide back to glass/bamboo though. I'm getting less enamored with a lot of fast modern rods. Had my old 1960's Fenwick out the other day and forgot how much fun glass was. Its what got me looking at the Butterstick.

Would love to build on epic glass blank, it is a bit pricey but seems like it's worth it. Whom ever got one loves it. 8'6 4wt seems to be the choice for many. I bit the glass bug After building a 6'6" 3wt, just couldn't justify a butterstick knowing I can get a blank an have same performance for less than half price of Redington.

Check out fly fisherman's cafe, that guy is obsessed with glass rods and his specialty is 4wts.

• Like 1