Fly Fusion Forums

Otter Attacks Not All That Rare

http://www.ibtimes.com/when-otters-attack-4-foot-otter-viciously-attacks-swimming-8-year-old-boy-his-grandmother-1647416

A four-foot river otter attacked an 8-year-old boy and his grandmother swimming in a Washington state river, nearly costing the boy his life. Bryce Moser, 8, and Lelani Grove were swimming in a shallow part of the Pilchuck River Thursday when the animal jumped on the boy, witnesses told the KOMO-TV, Seattle.

“[The otter] had him by the back of his head and it was holding him down,” said Dean Springer, the boy’s great-uncle. “Just the whole body was wrapped around him.”

The adults in the area reportedly sprang into action at the sound of Bryce’s screaming, which was only interrupted by his struggle to stay above the river’s surface. Grove was the first to respond, prying the otter off and triggering an attack on herself.

“It immediately went to the same position on the top of her head and had hands on her eyes and was biting the back of her head,” Moser’s mother told reporters. “As I’m hitting it with an umbrella and trying to get it off of her, it’s just getting more and more mad.”

Area swimming areas were closed through the end of the week, with Department of Agriculture officials putting up warning signs and unsuccessfully trying to trap the animal. While river otters do have sharp teeth adapted for a diet of crayfish, crabs and frogs, they normally present no threat to humans.

http://www.kaj18.com/news/otters-injure-boy-at-lake-of-the-woods-east-of-kalispell/

Boy hurt by otters at Lake of the Woods near Kalispell

KALISPELL - State wildlife officials report that a pair of adult otters attacked and hurt a young boy on Sunday at Lake of the Woods near Echo Lake - east of Kalispell.

The attack was reported to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks by 911 dispatchers. The otters attacked the boy when he was swimming in the lake, and he was bitten several times on his legs.

Otter attacks on humans are extremely rare, with wildlife officials saying that when they do happen it's often because the animals feel trapped or feel like they need to defend their young.

FWP warns of aggressive otters after woman attacked

BOZEMAN - A woman was attacked by an otter in the Hebgen Basin, prompting Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks officials to warn people to use caution around the animals.

The attack happened Tuesday night near the Madison River Bridge at mile marker 4 on U.S. Highway 191, and the woman suffered significant bites to her hand.

There is also an unconfirmed report of a male angler being attacked as well later in the evening.

"While otter attacks are extremely rare, these are wild animals and they can be aggressive making it especially important for people to keep a safe distance from adults and their pups," a news release from FWP states.

Wildlife officials are posting signs in the area warning of the danger.

Now I've only seen 4 this year so far. Down from previous highs 'cause I spend a lot of time this summer outta province looking for decent sized fish.

Happy munching,

Don

• Like 1

What about Beavers? I see them all the time by my favorite run on the Bow, and they always seem to eye me up and splash their tale at me. Always wondered if they would ever show aggression and attack, anyone ever seen something like that?

Guest bigdirty

What about Beavers? I see them all the time by my favorite run on the Bow, and they always seem to eye me up and splash their tale at me. Always wondered if they would ever show aggression and attack, anyone ever seen something like that?

i have a beaver buddy too. used to think it was responsible for keeping the fish down. now i realize it was always just me. watched fish rising within 1-2 feet of the beaver(s).

Fished prairie the other day and ran into a big otter.

Couldn't have made my day any better. Amazing and beautiful creatures.

Certainly less curmudgeonly then the other creatures that roam those rivers. Seem more at place too....

• Like 2

I've had "run ins" and "run aways" from most of the critters on the east slopes over the years, might as well have a run in with an otter as well. Even had a knuckle headed range cow put the run on me a couple years back, must be gettng old.

The cows. Holy crap the cows. I've had more run in with cows then chipmunks. I'm suprised we haven't heard any stories about someone being trampled by one. And this isn't sarcasm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I seen a Otter on the upper Crow the other day, then I remembered seeing this thread, was a little nervous, standing in the middle of the river as he was taking a good look at me from time to time and making grunting, snorting sounds as he stared me down, then he disappeared... Couple days later I was deep in the Castle area, Saw something rustle in the bush across the water, then I saw it was Brown, heart started to pound, Turned out to be a Huge Bull Moose, he stared me down, then I was like, "Ok, I've fished a few hrs, caught some fish, Im done for this spot, don't need to be beat up by a Moose'' Sure made a lot more noise than I normally would on the hike back to the vehicle...

Cheers... Jeff..

• Like 1