Fly Fusion Forums

Skeena River Bc - Sport Fisherman Get Eviction Notice

This is going to put a lot fo people out of work. I just can't beleive that this is STILL going on. Very sad. I know that there is many that rely on this industry (camping, fishing, hunting,lodging,etc). Gong to be very tough to see anything good come from this in my lifetime. IMO

It will be interesting to see how this is handled. As long as egos don't get in the way, thing could workout. The Tsilhqot’in could implement their own hunting/fishing programs and work with the outfitters in the area. This could create a revenue stream for the tribe as well as allowing them to establish their own rules and regulations on hunting and fishing.

It's unfortunate about those that bought land down there. Not sure how that gets resolved.

This isn't Tsilhqot'in it is Gitxsan. Totally different area and First Nation…Gitxsan are mostly in the Hazelton/Kispiox/Kitwanga area,although they are attempting to claim all the way to the Kalum as their traditional territory, overlapping territory claims with the Kitselas and Kitsumkalum bands (Tsimshian First Nation). A major issue with settling this is that the Gitxsan are divided, they are ruled by a large number (60 some?) of hereditary chiefs.

You can thank the feds and provincial governments for this.....

Has a bit to do with the local bands holding our country hostage don't you think? Race segregation in Canada is an ugly topic and all sides have to take some responsibility. Sooner or later all tax dollars will go the first nations if they have their way, our economy will be crippled. All parties need to cooperate and accept some responsibility for this situation, so much greed on all accounts.

Has a bit to do with the local bands holding our country hostage don't you think? Race segregation in Canada is an ugly topic and all sides have to take some responsibility. Sooner or later all tax dollars will go the first nations if they have their way, our economy will be crippled. All parties need to cooperate and accept some responsibility for this situation, so much greed on all accounts.

Not really if the governments didn't break the treaties originally a lot of this would be mute, also bear in mind that there are bands with no treaties at all The long standing position of aborginal peoples is to have self government. It's their land that was invaded for the benefit of Europeans

None of these bands have ever signed a treaty, been compensated for their land that has been taken, never have been defeated in a battle or been given a share of the resource extraction revenue. The right to compensation goes back to King George who enshrined rights for indigenous people. The people at fault here are the 2 levels of Govt who have tried to circumvent these rights or ignored them completely..

Mike

The Nisga'a are self governed, and have a 'treaty', do they not?

There are a few treaties in northern BC, including Nisga'a and Treaty 8. No treaties on the Skeena yet, but I believe Tsimshian, Wet'suwet'en and Gitxsan have been working towards treaty negotiation.

Ha Ha you think its about conservation! THAT is hilarious. I don't think they shouldn't have control of their lands I absolutely do think they need control of their own land; However conservation is the sheeps clothing they shroud their true intentions with. The corruption within the bands is disgusting and the people with influence and power are just as corrupt and interested in wealth and personal gain than any other human with power and the potential to be rich.

• Like 2

Ha Ha you think its about conservation! THAT is hilarious. I don't think they shouldn't have control of their lands I absolutely do think they need control of their own land; However conservation is the sheeps clothing they shroud their true intentions with. The corruption within the bands is disgusting and the people with influence and power are just as corrupt and interested in wealth and personal gain than any other human with power and the potential to be rich.

And the provincial and federal governments aren't. There is more to the native issue than you know and the media coverage isn't useful to anyone being that it is so biased, that is the hilarious part of the whole thing, many here believe the media too much, personally I take it all with a grain of salt.

Sorry if I confused you but I couldn't find the tongue in cheek emoticon.. :)

• Like 1