Fly Fusion Forums

Is It Fly Fishing ?

EvilWeevil

I was just waiting for someone to get an arrow in the side of the head!

my thoughs exactly. These invasive carp are getting out of hand in some parts, like this one. I think they are gonna need a bigger bow and maybe a gun.

I've watched tons of videos on those carp and how they're in danger of invading into Canada into the Great Lakes and how they've just decimated some rivers down south of the border. No doubt they are a huge issue. But I just can't believe that these "challenged" individuals can add to the danger of a huge fish flying at your head (and they've been known to seriously injure boaters) by giving everyone a bow and arrow and letting 'em have at it. Rednecks indeed....with way too much time on their hands. Some of them had good aim though - I'll give 'em that.

Just waiting now for the obligatory "wow...I wish they made one of those contraption for cats" post :lol:

WTF?!?.....do the fish just jump b/c the boat is going by or is the boat dragging something to cause the fish to jump? how long would it be before there's a video of someone with a shotgun off the back of a boat?

Those Asian Carp are a threat to canadian waters indeed..They have already migrated from the Mississippi river system as far north as Illinois and there is a serious danger of them getting into the great lakes through shipping canals..

I saw a big report on them a couple of years ago. They are considering installing, if you can believe it, an electrostatic barrier on the Mississippi to halt them. But after watching them suckers jump, can't see how that would stop them!

Also, as a dyed in the wool redneck myself, I take great pride in watching my countrymen develop unique solutions to complex problems!

Asian Carp (Ive also heard them reffered to as Grass Carp, I think its the same species)..small ones jump out of the water when startled..Ive never seen it personally..but have seen a couple shows on discovery channel that had segments on them..BIG problem in the southern US and they are migrating north FAST..they eat like crazy and force other game fish from their habitat..and they grow HUGH .. They have underwater electric fences (im not BS'n you) to keep them from entering the Great Lakes System...

I highly doubt if they would stock these anywhere..nevermind in Canada..If they are stocking carp to fish( and not the colorful Koi) ..I'd imagine they are common carp are more probably sterile..

The carp in Alberta ponds / lakes are likely grass carp, and they are triploid. That means that there is only a 1% chance they will be able to reproduce. They are used to control vegitation, and there are a few hatcheries that raise them just for that purpose. I'm not sure if they are the same species, but I don't think they are.

I saw a big report on them a couple of years ago. They are considering installing, if you can believe it, an electrostatic barrier on the Mississippi to halt them. But after watching them suckers jump, can't see how that would stop them!

I think this is already in place in IL. It's a pretty long barrier - 500M or more. The fish swim into it and turn back. there isn't any chance they couple leap over it. The reason the jump is because of the engine noise. When there aren't any boats around, it pretty quiet, but get a noisy moter boat, and it's a flying circus.

The State of Illinois announced that it has agreed to be a local project sponsor, allowing the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to erect a second, more permanent barrier in the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal in an attempt to protect Lake Michigan and the ecology of the Great Lakes from invasion by Asian carp.

http://www.great-lakes.org/Wkly_news/02-24-03.html