Fly Fusion Forums

Teak Wood Inquiry

Any woodworkers on here?

I had to repair a leg on solid teak bookshelf and had to do a bit of sanding. What can I use to restore the colour?! Oil? If so, what kind and where can I purchase?! If not, what?

Thanks

Peter

Color because of age will be tough to match , old will have aged & what you sand will look new.

Time will do the job.

If the teak has a clear finish then I would buy a small quart of neutral stain ( clear ) . I can give you this or purchase anywhere they sell stain.

Home Depot will do.

If you need to build up some finish buy a spray bomb of polyurethane probably in semi gloss and build up some light coats.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Alcohol pens work great for touch ups. Acetone will lessen colour for blending. Various dyes available from Lee Valley Tools are also an option. Many of them are water soluble making blending into existing colour easy.

Lots of options.

Don

Teak oil is the way to go. I recomend coating the hole shelf for a uniform finish. If it has not been done for some time the first coat will soak in fairly fast ( a day or so). You should oil the teak every year or to to help keep color and preserve the wood.

Rich

I also had the same issue with a lawyers bookcase that I inherited from my grandfather. What I did was finish the repairs then I sent the whole thing out to get "dipped and stripped". After I finished with a clear polyurethane and currently it's holding prime residence in our dining room and looks like its 100 years old.

May concern is matching what's been done in the past (Teck oil)? If this is something close to your heart you may consider starting from scratch like me.