Fly Fusion Forums

Stillwater Fanatics...need Advice On New Lines

Hi guys:

Gonna post this in a few forums.

I sold a rental property; I'm treating myself to a new lake fishing setup. Have a rod and reel set-up already; so I am now choosing fly lines. I have 5 spools total. I am looking at the following Rio lines:
Rio Indicator II
Rio Intouch Deep 3
Rio Intouch Deep 5
Rio Intouch Deep 7
Rio Aqualux
Rio Hover
InTouch Camolux
InTouch Midge Tip Long
Now, there are 8 choices and 5 spools. I need to eliminate 3 choices. Obviously Rio has some overlap and redundancy, so hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to pick. But what would your top 5 choices be in terms of covering all the bases for stillwater fishing?
Smitty

• 1 month later...

I bought this line for a weekend trip to Police Outpost Lake. I'm fairly fresh in the fly fishing game and thought that it handled really nicely fishing out of a belly boat. Casted nice and smooth as well. I've got a full type VI sinking line as well, but it stayed in the bag. Sorry for the large pics.

Rio2_zps3d9f26ad.jpg

Rio_zpsbde1df6d.jpg

Not joining the parade to Rio. Been there and got lousy performance. I got a WF where the running line was too thin and tangled regularly. Gave the line to a guy who only fishes bobbers and rarely casts over 30'.

I returned to the Cortland 444 DT for bobber fishing.

For long leader presentations, I replaced my worn out Sharkskin with the new Sci. angler

Sharkwave. Since spooling it this spring, I've got 45 days on it in all kind of conditions. It remains supple when in cold water, doesn't have a lot of memory and casts quite well w/o the annoying scream and whistle of the original Sharkskin. There is still some line noise when casting but it is not an issue at least for me. The line has a rough coating but is not finger burning on larger fish like the original Sharkskin was.

Regards,

Don

If you're mostly fishing AB stillwaters then you can probably leave the deep 7 on the shelf. The faster sinking lines have their place, but in my humble experience that place seems to be somewhere on the western side of the divide. The aqualux and the camolux are the same line but with a different finish, I'd go with the camolux because, if it's like it's Cortland predecessor, it would disappear better in tannin stained waters. A dryline is a given, but I'd skip the RIO and look for something in an SA product. It pains me to say it, because for a long time I loved the RIO Grande and I had a hate on for "Scientific Tanglers", but over the last few years I've found they cast just as well as the RIO and they last twice as long. The wildcard in the deck is the hover - I don't have one, but I've bumped in to quite a few situations where I've wanted one.

I use a floating line and aqualux. intermediate sink line has worked well in the lakes with crons or leeches (hand retrieve or troll). Gets you to those places where fish are feeding but don't want a still presentation.

side note: also used the aqualux on the bow chugging streamers from the boat on the weekend. Short leader and it worked very well. Easy to cast and control where you want the fly to land.