Fly Fusion Forums

When Tying A Sex Dungeon?

BigFoamy

Do you guys add weight? I was casting one with my 6W :( the other day and it would sink, even after it got wet. Anyways, when watching the vid he didnt add any. Its already a big clunky fly but wouldnt sink.

BF

Guest Sneaky

are you fishing with a sink tip on a short enough leader? The fly is meant to be buoyant. But should sink eventually. Post a picture of it. I get the feeling the deer hair collar on your fly might be too full with hollow hairs and cause the fly to be more buoyant then in should be. Ive had this problem a couple times before.

I cant post pics on this website. I def considered that the deer hair wont allow it to sink enough. Was using an 8' 4x leader so that it would sink. Im guessing the deer hair combined with moving water was it. That said there must be a good reason as to why people love this fly? catches fish right? just gotta getter down there and cant imagine adding weight with the dumbell eyes and all.

what sneaky said perhaps to muchdeer hair, but thedungeons are intended to be positively bouyant. Heavier sink tip. The dungeoun is meant to float above the structure you are fishing, being pulled down by the sink tip... once you learn the most effective ways to fish a dungeon they are unstoppable.

YOur leader is 4' to long, just use 3-4' of 15lb flouro

Leave the fluoro at home... When you're fishing a 3-4" bug, the leader being fluoro isn't going to convince a fish... 15lb maxima is more then plenty, and a heck of a lot cheaper. Plus better knots. A 200-250 gr sink tip will do the trick, but i still throw the odd split in front if I want it to dive better off the cast

Leave the fluoro at home... When you're fishing a 3-4" bug, the leader being fluoro isn't going to convince a fish...

you are right but "hiding" leader from the fish isn't the reason for using the fluoro. Probably better that you "leave the fluoro at home"

• Like 1