Fly Fusion Forums

A Used 6Wt Rod Query

Taco

I'm on the hunt for a used mid flex 6 wt, 9'-9 1/2'. Like a Sage SP, SLT or ZXL. I know what I want in a Sage but what about the other makers? What Winstons, Scott, Loomis or T&Ts higher end rods would fit my mid flex criteria?

Thanks

Yeah it's a bit subjective, just looking for easier to load, deeper flexing graphite long rod than the "fast action" rods I have tried and used for yrs. The old cowboy has a complete tear of his right side suprapinatus

Thanks Mike I'll watch for those

Taco,

A Winston when Tom Morgan ran the place. Tom is a fisherman and knew what it took for a great trout rod. Failing that, if you can find a 9'0" Fisher, I'll arm wrestle you for it. Thought I'd tracked one down 2 years ago. Somebody else beat me to it.

Or, take one of your faster 4 weights and put a 6 on it. That just might be what ya' need.

Regards,

Don

Taco,

A Winston when Tom Morgan ran the place. Tom is a fisherman and knew what it took for a great trout rod. Failing that, if you can find a 9'0" Fisher, I'll arm wrestle you for it. Thought I'd tracked one down 2 years ago. Somebody else beat me to it.

Or, take one of your faster 4 weights and put a 6 on it. That just might be what ya' need.

Regards,

Don

Don when you say put a six on it do you just mean the line wt? If so would it just cause the road to load up more and then feel like a softer action?

Don when you say put a six on it do you just mean the line wt? If so would it just cause the road to load up more and then feel like a softer action?

That exactly what happens. I do it all the time, either to slow down a rod or get a stiff rod to load with a short line

http://www.scientificanglers.com/plan-your-trip/fly-fishing-tips/how-choose-right-fly-line-weight-lefty-kreh

Taco,

I do know what rod taper you're looking for but have no idea which of the many rods out there exhibit full-flexing. Still, if you have such a taper, load it up and see how it feels.

Muffin,

The rod is marked with a line weight by the manufacturer who has decided the line weight. His decision is no more valid than yours. If you think a rod fishes well with a line weight heavier or lighter than marked on the rod, use the line weight that pleases you. You will not anger the fish Gods or cause the rod to explode.

Briefly, 40' of #4 is the same weight as 30' of #6.

Regards,

Don

• Like 1

*hit Don we may be closer related than you wish, them Norsemen got around a bit and weren't all that picky what they climbed on. My last name is the Frisian version of Hansen

Taco,

Them Norsemen weren't all that picky. And if you're prepared for the explosion you might suggest to my Scottish wife the value of Norsemen who breed some brains into the low landers and when they could be caught, some highlanders.

And just to set the record straight, Norsemen "found" N. America long before the Portuguese got lost and stumbled into Central America. Mind you, the Portuguese had a map done by the Chinese in 1421 ( a good read by the way)

Now I gotta go and double dip the rods again.

Catch ya'

Don

• Like 1

Phillipsons I got, it's just in the heaver longer lake lengths they tend to get really tip heavy and it takes a beast of a reel to overcome that feel.

... mid fast is what this Opti is supposed to be. We'll see when we get it how dead in the butt it is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loop rod update; Ordered the rod outta Cali which they shipped UPS, which I didn't realize until it was too late and am now awaiting the standard UPS brokerage surprise, 5 days to Calgary and it's now been sitting in Calgary for 6 days with a departure scan ready to be delivered to Claresholm.

Brown must be busy.

Yeah I know but given my druthers I'd rather pay the thirty bucks than spend 2 hr bombin' around Kalgree between Customs and the UPS warehouse. I tend to get somewhat irritated with traffic about 5 minutes past the Macleod Deerfoot split. I'd rather drop an anvil on my foot.