Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Policemans Flats

last winter things were completely differant so some of those awesome Policemans spots may not be there anymore. surely theyve been replaced by other awesome spots, just get out there and start walking and fishing.

My experience is the runs need to be at least 1m deep. (I think that is just over 3')

The trouts are always the same: they want food and protection at the lowest energy expenditure. The super slow deep runs give good protection, but tend to have poor food transport. I find the deeper tailouts to be the most productive. At least, that is where the consolation prize of whitefish will hang out. ;)

Of course there are exceptions but I would say, in the summer, there tends to be 1 really productive run per 150m of river hiked. In the winter there is 1 good run per 250 m of river. There have been a few times that I have been surprised though.

FFA: The issue in winter isn't whether a stretch holds good water, it's whether the water you want to fish is iced over. As I mentioned in my last Bow River Conditions report last Sunday, which you can read, the ice is already covering some of the best fishing water below Policeman's, and in other places is making wading treacherous to impossible. As the ice thickens further the walking will become safer, but even more of the good water will be covered.

If you go below Policeman's to area opposite the red-roofed white house, virtually all of this area is deep enough to count as wintering water, so if you can cast to it, you have a shot at fish.