Fly Fusion Forums

Who From The Forum Got Flooded Out

I'm high and dry...now. I moved from Mission after the last flood. I'm glad I did....much worse there this time around. The Rose & Crown where I work is dry but no power. Think I'll go to the "Cutty Hut" tomorrow.

Crazy's house in Bowness was hit with 5' of water in the basement. Some friends and random volunteer strangers helped carry everything out yesterday. Promised one of them a guided float down the Bow as a thanx.

His fly tying materials took a beating but he might have had too much stuff anyway.

There were more volunteers available than there was room to put them. Random acts of kindness were everywhere. Some pretty girls walked by giving out home made cookies. Others were bringing around coolers with snacks and drinks. People were getting very dirty helping out.

Ray and his wife were able to concentrate on documenting the damage with pictures and begin the laborious sorting process.

I work downtown, so havent been able to get to work. Since most of my clients are in the same boat (no pun intended), I've been able to help out in a few places. The damage in some communities (Riverdale is the worst I've personally seen) is beyond belief. PLEASE, anyone who can, get out and help. If you, like many of us, work downtown and can't get to work, put down the honey do list and just go to any community on the Elbow or Bow in Calgary or Bragg Creek. Or Millarville. Or wherever. The outporing of volunteerism in Calgary has been amazing, but more is better.

There will also be lots of opportunities to help cleanup the river, launches, etc. But I would suggest people first, river second.

We got flooded in Inglewood. Our block was the one on the news where the military intervened. If they didn't, our whole block, and probably more of Inglewood, could have been wiped out, which would have been catastrophic. Thankfully, what the engineers, military, city crews, 2 cranes, and countless truckloads of boulders did worked. We're just waiting for our basement to dry out, but I'll take that over losing a house any day. :)

We definitely felt the love out there as we kept turning away volunteers to other houses as we had plenty. I love how people rally together in times of trouble, and it makes me love my community even more. Seeing people offering to help in any way is pretty awesome.

• Like 1