Fly Fusion Forums

Clear/ghost Nets

I'm in the market for a new net. (Fathers day) I really like the idea of the new clear nets any pros or cons I should be considering? Has anyone made the switch then regretted it? If so why? Any other info that would make my decision would be helpful, I'm in Lethbridge and will need to order from one of the shops in Calgary as I refuse to give wholesale down here my business. I'm looking for something big enough for a mid 20's fish but small enough to comfortably bushwhack with it attached to my vest.

Thanks wayne

I love my Frabill clear rubber net too. It's 15" long and really deep. Makes handling fish very easy! I had to repair the rope that attaches the net to the wood frame once when my net got caught on a tree, but otherwise it's been very durable.

I also love the Brodin Ghost nets. I lost one on the bow last year and had to buy another. Picked mine up at Country pleasures but other shops may have them (have my name on it now). I have the “Gallitin” model which has a 8.75" by 17.25" hoop and can easily hold a 27” fish. Another option is to buy a ghost net insert for your existing net. What I’ve found in the positive about this type of net.

• Doesn’t catch when walking through the bush like a classic net
  • Sheds water fast so it doesn’t wick on your back
  • Hooks don’t imbed in the material
  • I find fish calmer in the net than with course material against them
  • Doesn’t harm the outer protective coat on trout like a thread based product

I also love the Brodin Ghost nets. I lost one on the bow last year and had to buy another. Picked mine up at Country pleasures but other shops may have them (have my name on it now). I have the “Gallitin” model which has a 8.75" by 17.25" hoop and can easily hold a 27” fish. Another option is to buy a ghost net insert for your existing net. What I’ve found in the positive about this type of net.

• Doesn’t catch when walking through the bush like a classic net
  • Sheds water fast so it doesn’t wick on your back
  • Hooks don’t imbed in the material
  • I find fish calmer in the net than with course material against them
  • Doesn’t harm the outer protective coat on trout like a thread based product

x2 or x4? Quality product.

Al

Fishtales has the Ghost Net replacement bags.

I've strung a couple of nets and it's pretty easy,

They're great nets.

All of the above plus In the boat, the fish don't seem to shy away from

the clear nets as much as the black ones when landing them

Bk

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great advise. I did get the brodin ghost Gallitin. I am very happy with it. Now I need to get a new magnetic net retainer. Does anybody have a preference or are the all about the same?

Thanks wayne