Fly Fusion Forums

Hockey Night In Canada

Since most of my stories involve some sort of pain or embarrassment to yours truly, thought I would share one with a bit of a different ending.

I went to a buddy's 40th birthday party last night. The party had a hockey theme, complete with a visit by a fake Don Cherry (which was hysterical) a hockey cake, hockey on the big screens, and a hockey shootout game that his wife rented. It was a square target with 9 lighted panel s whose lights went out when you hit one with the puck. The game was to get all 9 panels out in 15 shots, bet time wins a valuable prize. After a few of the women tried, I gave it a shot. I had to ask "how do you lift the puck?" Anyway, I get 6 or so, think "not bad" and continue drinking. Much later I come downstairs again and since no one is shooting, try again. First shot, dead center. Next three shots connect and people start paying attention, the top row is gone, and I'm actually hitting what I'm aiming at. Next few shots and I'm down to one square and 5 pucks left. I'm kinda laughing to myself over the absurdity of it all, and that I sure hope I can hit the last one. I hit it on the first shot. The crowd goes nuts. So 11 shots, 9 squares in 20.75 seconds. The best time by 6 seconds. And a bunch of humiliated Canadian hockey players.

For the next hour and a half, every Canadian male tries several times, and fails to get anywhere close to my record. The night ends with me being presented with a little trophy with a puck signed by Lanny MacDonald, Darryl Sittler, and Tiger Williams. Sorry if I got the names wrong, just some guys from Toronto aren't they?

Anyway, the moral of the story is that if you don't have any expectations, sometimes good things happen. Just think, if that is the case, maybe some day a team from Canada will win the Stanley Cup.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tiger (Dave) Williams was an enforcer for Toronto and then Vancouver. He could actually score goals as well. I remember years ago Billy Smith whacked a Vancouver player in the leg from behind. Tiger wound up around the centre line and drove Smith into his own net, dislodging the net and creating a bit of a scene.....best part of that game. Tiger was pretty active in the years following his retirement....check him out he was a little colourful during his career.

Tiger williams is awesome. i'm going to show my age a little here. i went to school with his son Ben. After his retirement, he stayed in Vancouver - West Van actually. We would meet up with him at the dog park or the shopping centre. his on however, got suspended in grade 2 for swearing at a teacher and getting in to fights. HUMMM. lost track of ben after elementary school.

Tiger was quite the enforcer. a little arogant, but a sweetheart of a guy. definately look up the canucks of the mid 80's.

Tiger williams is awesome. i'm going to show my age a little here. i went to school with his son Ben. After his retirement, he stayed in Vancouver - West Van actually. We would meet up with him at the dog park or the shopping centre. his on however, got suspended in grade 2 for swearing at a teacher and getting in to fights. HUMMM. lost track of ben after elementary school.

Tiger was quite the enforcer. a little arogant, but a sweetheart of a guy. definately look up the canucks of the mid 80's.

I really liked Tiger as a player, back in the good old days of hockey. I saw him once here in Calgary, at a Humpty's at 2:30 in the morning.

He was in town coaching a in-line hockey team from Vancouver, & had a few too many while celebrating a victory. At least, I hope he was

drunk; I'd hate to think he's that loud, obnoxious, & rude to waitresses when he's sober! :wacko:

I really liked Tiger as a player, back in the good old days of hockey. I saw him once here in Calgary, at a Humpty's at 2:30 in the morning.

He was in town coaching a in-line hockey team from Vancouver, & had a few too many while celebrating a victory. At least, I hope he was

drunk; I'd hate to think he's that loud, obnoxious, & rude to waitresses when he's sober! :wacko:

i would hate to disappoint you but... a little from colum A and a little from colum B. i would have had to have seen him to tell you for sure as it could go either way, but i have seen him be like that when completely sober.

i dont think that Tiger actually coached the Voodoo, but i think he was involved in the ownership somehow. but don't quote me on that.

I know who Tiger Williams is.

I've met Dave Semenko and Dave Lumley. Seems I have a thing for enforcers.

I once had a 15 minute conversation with Gordy Howe. We talked about golf and fishing in SE Texas from his playing days in Houston before he started telling everyone old hockey stories. One of the coolest things ever.

The point of the post was highlight how an American, with no hockey experience, whupped a bunch of Canadian men in a hockey skill game. You know, rub your faces in it a bit. Get it?

Hey Rick if we ever fish again I'm bringing my 8wt so watch for my crosscheck :o

Now that's what I'm talking about! Bring on the trash talk boys and girls!!

Edit: Oh and Chris, I've already broken one of your rods. Wouldn't bother me a drop to break another.

I bet I could win a ham-hoc & black-eyed pea eating contest in Texas. No you couldn't. I could also invent a 'Texas Chilli' hand warmer for we canucks to put Texas chilli in our gloves while ice-fishing & make millions. Millions? How many people actually ice fish, like 20 or 30 worldwide? But nice try.

No I couldn't?

I bet nobody would'a bet you could beat a bunch of good ol' canuck boys shootin pucks......but you did. And now I know y'all eat ham hocs & black-eyed peas.

The chilli hand-warmer is gonna be EXPENSIVE Rickr, 'cause you can stay warm & have lunch at the same time. All 30 guys that ice fish will HAVE TO have it, and I'm gonna sell this idea to NASA too. Space is cold I hear.

No I couldn't?

I bet nobody would'a bet you could beat a bunch of good ol' canuck boys shootin pucks......but you did. And now I know y'all eat ham hocs & black-eyed peas.

The chilli hand-warmer is gonna be EXPENSIVE Rickr, 'cause you can stay warm & have lunch at the same time. All 30 guys that ice fish will HAVE TO have it, and I'm gonna sell this idea to NASA too. Space is cold I hear.

OK, I'll concede the hand warmer idea. You have to be absolutely freakin' nuts to ice fish anyway. So I'm sure they'll pay pretty much anything if they could stay warm while doing it, all 30 of them. And it's actually called Chili, but Chilli works well for your idea. Pun intended I'm sure.

As to the Ham Hocks and Black-eyed peas: I took on about 10 Canadians. All pretty old cuz they were at a 40 yr old birthday party. Not exactly a hot bed of athletic skill. You would be taking on MILLIONS of highly skilled ham hock and black-eyed pea eaters at the height of their ability. They would eat you up. Again, pun intended.

with a puck signed by Lanny MacDonald, Darryl Sittler, and Tiger Williams. Sorry if I got the names wrong, just some guys from Toronto aren't they?

JUST SOME GUYS FROM TORONTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To become a calgarian you have got to know who Lanny mcdonald is. Until u figure it i would stop fishing the bow as your not worthy. Just kidding Lannys one of the greatest flames ever in my opinion. Was his jersy retired at the saddledome?

JUST SOME GUYS FROM TORONTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To become a calgarian you have got to know who Lanny mcdonald is. Until u figure it i would stop fishing the bow as your not worthy. Just kidding Lannys one of the greatest flames ever in my opinion. Was his jersy retired at the saddledome?

Replies--

In my defence, I was actually shooting pretty hard, I do have a bit of pride. But a goalie would have been a problem!

I shoot pucks better than I fish it appears.

The birthday boy had a signed Lanny jersey. I wish I had known and I would have gotten a big ugly mustache from a costume shop for him. And I mean big and ugly.

Tiger Williams is Tiger Woods Dad, just to clear this up.

Funny you should say this....Mike and I were on a plane to Vancouver last year and in the rows in front of us there were a bunch of "oldtimer" hockey players going to VCR for a tourney. Tiger was about 3 rows in front of me and, being a former Leafs fanatic, I said kinda not very quietly across the aisle to Mike "hey...check it out...it's Tiger Woods".

He gets some strange pleasure in telling that story. I'm sure he throws in a "dumb blonde" comment there somewhere too :lol: