Fly Fusion Forums

Chain Lakes

I spin-fished it years ago and it was fun, although there's about a squillion 10-12" fish (rainbows). I think that most bait guys do well on the N end of the lake. I drove by it lots this summer, and on some evenings the water was absolutely boiling with rises. I would just fish it anywhere with leeches or nymphs or chronies under an indie & you'll probably get into fish. Good luck, and sorry for lack of info.

Yeah.. they stock like a bizillion little 'bows in there every year! Haven't tried fly fishing it yet but CDock and I ice fished it last year and caught a few. But like Glenbow said.. mostly little guys. Although they do stock some big rainbows too each year.. they're in there.. but the lake is so huge your chances of hooking one are small IMO.

Guest bigbadbrent

nothing big in there, though they do stock something like 30 brood stock yearly there, but im sure they get taken out within the first month of being stocked...fished it once this year, was ok..lots of little guys on dries

nothing big in there, though they do stock something like 30 brood stock yearly there

I know a dude who consistently catches fish over 5lbs out of there. The dude is 90+ years old though, and is a mighty fine fly fisherman. I would think the broods would do quite well in there. It's a big lake, and not too many people that fish there know what they're doing.

Guest bigbadbrent

yeah im sure a couple make it, but most fish stick near where they got moved into for a while, so im suprised if any make it..also rumours of bulls in there, they'd do well, cept im sure they get bonked as well

not the top place on my list to visit by any means

ladystrange, next time you get some suckers like that I will pay you to bring them back to Calgary for me. 2-4 bucks depending on size...deal? :)

sounds like a deal. i should be hitting it this winter. what do you want them for? i know my friend kept those 2 for pike bait for his next trip out.

oh ick Glen, i would not eat them

Ladystrange calling him a 'strange one'. Cool. I forgive you for eating them.

yeah, thought about that as i was typing. he is my mirror male personna so yes he is strange too.

there were a few too many bones, kinda mushy. not the best, sorta tasted like dirt. what can i say. suckers, the world is full of 'em

Theres over 200,000 stocked each year. I spend time ice fishing it in the winter and you are lucky if you get over 12" fish. But none the less fun easily 20 for a couple of hours outing. never fly fished it as the wind sucks down there. The last time bulls were stocked was in 2000 or something i doubt there is anything less as there is no where for them to spawn. If you want big fish drag the bottom with a fly and should hook some nice 5 pound suckerss. Sorry bout that there were some stocked this year 3200 22cm bullys mightbe a few left.

I love Chain Lake's

Easy fishing!!! I bring the kid's there and let them fish, as everybody has said small bow's.. I have never fly fished there before. But as we heard they just boil up in the evening. Lot's of folk's there in the evening in bell boat's.. Good Fun!!!! and a really nice campgroung.