Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Personal Floatation Devices

RedBeard

I just described this thread, from a simple question, to it's development into a plan for someone to jump put of a perfectly good boat in the middle of the river wearing waders, to my missus, her response: "Oh my god, you guys need to get off the internet and go fishing".

LMAO....that's hilarious.....and too true,good call on her part.

Yeah we have to make it as close to a real life situation as possible, so we should float down, fish and fall in!! ;-). I'll even volunteer my Mustang HIT Auto inflate PFD to see how it will change the situation ( hopefully for the positive).

Yes I am serious... Pete, can do it somewhere easily accessible like fish creek park

Probably dumb of me, really really dumb, to wade into this one, but having read this lively exchange without participating so far, what strikes me is that we ought to recognize that individuals vary in strength, balance, agility, risk perception, risk tolerance, and many other attributes. Some people can wade thigh-deep in very fast current on slippery rocks; some can't. Some are certain they can swim if knocked over (and may have the experience to prove it); some are certain of the opposite. Some have the clear need for a PFD, some don't, and still others may need to transition at some point (I will).

The earlier comment about having survived an avalanche brings up the analogy that some people today wouldn't ski powder without an ABS system, while many wouldn't. Some like the Avalung, many think it's useless.

Since the Bow is ankle-deep in the middle in some places and chest-deep in others, jumping out in the middle to shoot video might lead to a bruising more than a dunking. In any case, people declaring that nobody ought to wade beyond a particular depth seems misguided, given the variety of river conditions.

One other issue that will sound facetiously meant but isn't: with people recounting the experience of having air-filled wader legs holding their heads down, is the conventional wisdom to wear a tight wading belt incorrect? Agreed that water-filled waders multiply one's mass and make swimming slow and tiring, but isn't a head-up position the most important thing of all? (And the buoyancy of air-filled wader legs might exceed that of a smaller pfd.)

George, well I guess if this thread is going to stray back to a somewhat serious discussion I will add that when I wade out waist deep the 1st thing I always do is loosen my belt, and squat down, if needed, and let the water push all the air out of the waders, and snug my belt back up at the surface to keep it out. I think the conventional wisdom is correct but my humble suggestion is to further mitigate potential risks by removing as much trapped air as you can, while recognizing the water will do much of that once wading anyway - I think loosening / retightening the belt helps it happen right away

I also use my hands to toothpaste tube the air out before belting, but mostly because puffy waders bug me, and tend to catch twigs 'n such easier.

Anyone who has sat in their vehicle wearing their waders already knows how much air they capture inadvertantly -

BTW my 1st avi safety device was a bleach jug painted orange trailed behind me on a 30 ft yellow nylon cord - how's that for ghetto LOL, safety is dependent and relative to a multitude of factors as varied as the individual - I would hope its obvious that the internet is in general, inconsistent, and nothing more than source of potential ideas akin to bar-room discussion (read half drunken BS) and if someone is making decisions about their personal safety based on what they read here, or anywhere else, (on the internet) then, frankly the Darwinian effect has already kicked in, and the trailhead to being a statistic has been breached and is already being travelled by a fool with a hop in their step and a whistle on their tongue !

Does this mean I am essentially saying ignore my advice posted here, well yeah I guess so, unless you know me personally and can say with confidence what kind of person I am and what kind of risks I will take, should you really trust anything I, or anyone else says, probably not ! These are questions we should all be asking when it comes to personal safety decisions and where advice is obtained.

Pipestone: A real dirtbag I knew in the Alps over 30 years ago, before many people had transceivers, used to go to the butcher shop each morning, buy a garlic coil and stick it down his pants. Not only did he look like a rock star, he was convinced the avalanche dogs would find him first should he be buried, although he never seemed to consider what zone the dogs would be digging for. At the end of another day of skiing avalanche terrain without knowledge or equipment, he would celebrate his survival by consuming said garlic coil along with a couple of beers. Last I heard, he was still alive.

Thanks for the reminder to push air out of waders. See? There's lot of rational advice on the internet.

• 7 months later...

Wait, you mean waders when full are neutrally buoyant? And if you don't panic, keep you feet downstream, use your arms to guide, and don't try to stand until you are near or on shore you should be fine? Wow, almost seems like someone might have said something similar back on page 1.