Fly Fusion Forums

Cuba - Bonefish

softhackle

Hi all, as promised, a pic of a bonefish in Cuba. This fish was 36 inches from nose to tail and estimated to be 16lb, a world record anywhere else but Cuba. Nicest thing about this area: there were many more fish seen that were larger than this one...I highly recommend booking a day their. If you want pm me and I will give you details.post-4100-0-69391300-1357681600_thumb.jpg

Cuba bonefishing is all about specimen fishing whereas Bahamas was about solitude. This fella was caught on a Gotcha pattern. One other note, I did hook two permit on this trip (same day) but was unable to land as one blew my leader up and the other spit out hook.

Nice fish, but 36" and 16lbs. Mmm, those are estimates. Right?

Cuba is a great place. You should try the tarpon fishing next time you are there.

PK

If you don't agree with the poster take it up with him/her via PM. Causing a p.....ing contest will get you in trouble

Found this on line, but again just an estimate. I do know for sure it was 36 inches as i have the monfilament measure to prove it as it is going in the picture frame along the photo.

18" = 3.5lb

20" = 4.1lb

22" = 5.1lb

24" = 6.0lb

26" = 7.2lb

28" = 8.6lb

30" = 10.8lb

32" = 13.0lb

34" = 15.6lb

36" = 18.0lb

40" = Dreaming!

Chart is from Kaufman's Bonefish Book. I've found you can often add about 1lb for Pacific bones from 28" and up (as far as 32" anyway, i'd like to check some bigger fish)!

Thanks, good info. I didn't realize that bonefish were that heavy. Very similar length to wt as a steelhead. Do you measure bonefish to the tip of the tail or fork of the tail? It looks like it would make a big difference because of the length from the fork.

Did you get any chances at tarpon?

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great comments. I only share this with you in the event you also have that "once in a lifetime" opportunity and need further coaxing. I highly recommend both Cuba and Bahamas for different reasons but the experience is quite something with both. I compare Cuba to the lower Bow 30 years ago (Big unsophisticated fish) and the Bahamas to fishing a mountain lake full of Scrappy goldens ....

Next on the list is Belize and the turneffe flats. I now ask if anyone has had any experience with that area. Looking at next January....Cheers!