Fly Fusion Forums

Pepper Spray Fyi

If you wade wet, carry your pepper spray in a front pants pocket like I do and happen to take a dozy of a fartknocker into the river and knock the top off a large of can bear repellant please be advised, you are in for some discomfort. Damn stuff doesn't wash off in cold water.. just temporary relief at best.

OH! and when you finally make it home to have a shower.... keep switchin' facecloths...damn stuff has at least a 24 hr half-life.... and put your wetwading stuff through the heavy duty wash cycle twice.

I now have to get my ass to MEC to buy a large can of Frontiersmen

I thought you just fed the bears Brookies and not Pepper?????

You really should not use the holder for bear spray for your BEER!!

If you wade wet, carry your pepper spray in a front pants pocket like I do and happen to take a dozy of a fartknocker into the river and knock the top off a large of can bear repellant please be advised, you are in for some discomfort. Damn stuff doesn't wash off in cold water.. just temporary relief at best.

OH! and when you finally make it home to have a shower.... keep switchin' facecloths...damn stuff has at least a 24 hr half-life.... and put your wetwading stuff through the heavy duty wash cycle twice.

I now have to get my ass to MEC to buy a large can of Frontiersmen

I thought you just fed the bears Brookies and not Pepper?????

You really should not use the holder for bear spray for your BEER!!

Yeah Yeah I know, I really should just go fishin' with crippled up ex-army hippies...........

Best thing to stop the pain of a pepper spray burn is milk or any dairy product. Maybe not good to pour it in your eyes but its the only thing that will take the burn away from the skin. I had a guy on a seismic crew who sprayed himself once and I sent him to the river to rinse off and it actually made it worse. After talking with the ER doc about it he told me always treat a pepper spray burn with dairy as soon as possible. Hopefully you don't spray yourself again and need this advice but just an FYI

Anyone ever read the instructions on a can of bear spray? It tells you to immerse the affected area in cold running water for 20-25 minutes.... yeah right, I can just see someone standin' up to their tits in a cuttie hole with 7 or 8 degree C water flowin' by. I managed to miss Johnson and The Boyz but I might as well have if I gotta stand in the friggin freezin' river for 25 minutes.

I went thru OCS which is police pepper spray training and that was the worst day of my life. You get sprayed directly in the eyes. What we used was Johnsons baby shampoo and dabbed or patted not rubbed onto the face and submerse in tubs of water. Then they tell you to open your eyes with your hands and stand faceing the wind while getting misted by spray bottles occasionally to stop the burning sensation. You go blind for a bit and your whole face swells up, it took me about 25min to recover which is fast as the average for our group was about 45min. They say it gets better the second time you go thru it, I dont want to find out again. You also have to be careful in the shower as you dont want to wash that stuff onto your man parts for obvious reasons. Makes you a lot more aware of the weapons you carry on your belt.

Id say you had it easy Taco, but it is a humbling experience.

Cheers,

and dont piss of the police or any peace officer that carries them

Isn't police issue spray much stronger than bear spray?

YES!

Your Frontiersman spray is 0.857% Capsaicin which is the active ingredient that burns and irritates skin and eyes.

OCS which stands for Oleoresin Capsicum Spray is 10% Oleoresin and Capsaicin along with other Capsaicinoids, If you are familiar with the Scoville heat scale it has a rating of 500,000 SHU

Cheers,

I've repeatedly heard otherwise. Anyone have experience getting sprayed with both varieties? Guys hit directly in the face with bear spray typically require a trip to the ER. Percentages look convincing, but you're really comparing apples to oranges-

"Determining the strength of different manufactures of pepper sprays can be confusing. The best and possibly the only reliable method is using the CRC of the product. The federal government of the United States has determined that Bear Attack Deterrent Sprays must contain at least 1.0% Capsaicin and Related Capsaicinoids. CRC does not measure the amount of Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) within the formulation. Instead, CRC is the heat bearing and pain producing components of the OC. The federal government of the United States makes no mention of SHU (Scoville heat units)or OC in their requirements, only CRC. Some manufactures may show a very high percentage of OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) and though OC is the active ingredient within the formulation it does not indicate pepper spray strength. The OC percentage only measures the amount of peppers contained in the defense spray, not the strength, pungency or effectiveness of the product. Other companies may show a high SHU, but again this is deceiving. The SHU is measured at the base resin and not by what comes out of the aerosol. The rated high heat of the resin can is diluted down depending on how much of it is put in the can."

Damn that would suck!

Reminds me of an old co-worker who had a can of pepper spray explode on the dash of his car near Banff driving to Calgary from Lake Louise bunch or years ago. Said he was doing around 100k when it exploded and was lucky to stop on the side of the road since he couldn't see or breathe. His car smelled like the stuff even after cleaning it repeatedly until he finally sold it that next winter. He learned the hard way that you shouldn't keep compressed liquids or gas in a hot sunny place!

A few years ago I was in BC, in the fall after Grouse. There where two older ladies hiking in front of me, A black bear walked out for the bush and on to the cut line about 80 yards in front of them. One of the ladies let loose with bear sprey as the bear wandered off. there was a headwind and both ladies went down. I ran up and my eyes started smarting. Pored water in their eyes till they recovered. The backwash can be nasty.