Fly Fusion Forums

Pepper Spray Fyi

I may have already made this statement somewhere on the forum, but when I tested my expired can on the driveway, holding it down and out, and downwind, and gave a short 1.5 - 2 second shot, the back spray incapacitated me. I wasn't totally helpless but damn near. I have serious doubts as to the efficacy of this stuff. I still carry because it's pretty much all a gent can carry these days...

I reckon my best defense lies in the fact that if the bear starts chasin' me, it'll never be able to catch me because he'll be slipping in $#it!

So you caught a little blow back, and it incapacitated you, yet you doubt whether a full face shot would be effective? I'm sorry, I don't understand.

I don't know if my word can put your fears to rest, but I can tell you from first hand experience that it is very, very effective.

Bunch o' wusses ... the Tacoman included. :P:D

Let me tell ya about the time I was dicing Scotch Bonnet peppers (HOT! 100X hotter than jalapeno) to make some hot sauce. Then I took a leak BEFORE WASHING MY HANDS!

Not too 'mart on my part. Fortunately, we already had children by then. ;)

I feel your pain... I did something similar, but the blast was in the face.

My fishing partners response : "Guess you're not going to fish that hole on your side then?.... Sweet fish on!"

Anyways, at least you know it works :lol:

I say we pitch the idea of Pepper Spray vs. Bear Spray to Johnny Knoxville and let those jackasses determine which is most effective?

I say we pitch the idea of Pepper Spray vs. Bear Spray to Johnny Knoxville and let those jackasses determine which is most effective?

Brilliant! Right up their alley. If they don't go for it, we should call Ryan Stock, the Guinea Pig. He's from Edmonton, and actually a friend of a friend.

Was fishing the Castle a couple of years agp, doing the usual bankside bushwack in spots, I didn't realize the safety clip got pulled out somewhere in the shrubery. I was wearing the can in a holster on my belt. When I got back to the truck at the end of the day the can pushed into the seatbelt in my truck and the spray blasted directly onto the inside of the windshield. I was lucky in that I was only halfway in my truck and not facing directly forward. Some of the spray got on the left side of my face and in that eye. I used some paper towels and windshield antifreeze to clean it off but it still took about a week for the smell to disipate. My fishing buddy thought it was super hilarious.

I know a spoon-chucker in town who has a combination alcohol/anger problem - he unloaded a can into his neighbours house one night because she was having a party and he had to work in the morning - can't speak for bears but I know it works on cougars LOL

That is freakin' hilarious, I'd imagine that house had one or two new doors and one pissed pussy.