Fly Fusion Forums

How Long Should Fly Line Last?

Only got 2 years out of my WF6F SA GPX Mastery line. It had tons of tiny cracks in it that went right to the core and was not flowing smoothly out of the guides. I always used line dressing on it to keep clean and lubricated. I keep it in a case away from sunlight and freshwater use only. Maybe that's normal. I usually fish one day a week and every day for 2 weeks during summer holidays so moderate use. I just bought Rio Gold so will see if it lasts any longer. This is my 3rd year fly fishing so I do not have much experience with fly lines. Experience of others is welcome.

It would depend on how often you get out.

20 times a season should last 3 - 4 seasons...

100 times a season, maybe a season or 2 if you keep it cleaned and lubed regularly (most people don't). Of course these are just arbitrary numbers.

P

Only got 2 years out of my WF6F SA GPX Mastery line. It had tons of tiny cracks in it that went right to the core and was not flowing smoothly out of the guides. I always used line dressing on it to keep clean and lubricated. I keep it in a case away from sunlight and freshwater use only. Maybe that's normal. I usually fish one day a week and every day for 2 weeks during summer holidays so moderate use. I just bought Rio Gold so will see if it lasts any longer. This is my 3rd year fly fishing so I do not have much experience with fly lines. Experience of others is welcome.

Just be careful with the type of line dressing you use.

Some stuff can shorten the life of the line.

i've stopped using line dressing, just mild soapy water or as per the manufacturer's recommendations.

It seems that when you fish the same section of line, over and over you will eventually get line cracks.

If you nymph allot you tend to work a 20ft section more than if your were dragging around a line trolling from your pontoon.

I don't think I have ever cleaned my line after every outing, once the dirt anchors in the line coating no matter how much you lube or clean it will show ageing.

I would expect 3-5 years out of a good line depending on use.

Every now and then i would pull the line into a sink of hot soapy water just to remove the scum then line dress after. Then maintain after that.

It seems that when you fish the same section of line, over and over you will eventually get line cracks.

If you nymph allot you tend to work a 20ft section more than if your were dragging around a line trolling from your pontoon.

I don't think I have ever cleaned my line after every outing, once the dirt anchors in the line coating no matter how much you lube or clean it will show ageing.

I would expect 3-5 years out of a good line depending on use.

Every now and then i would pull the line into a sink of hot soapy water just to remove the scum then line dress after. Then maintain after that.

Also try to avoid storing on your reel over the winter if you can, hang it in large coils in the 'off' season.I've certainly had experience with some lines not lasting a whole season, but I've also seen ones that still float strong after 5 or 6 with the right care and maintenance.

colin

Guest NamasteMushroom

Where do you fish most of the time?

With the right care a quality line can last 6 to 8 years at least, but some modern lines are more chemically unstable and deteriorate much more quickly, not much you can do. Its already been posted about cleaning lines which are one of the keys. Like all equipment a bit if care will extend their life. I have a Cortland 44 that is about 20 years old with no issues at all. Winter off reel storage is another practical idea. If you fish "dirty water" that is waters with a lot of oil and deposits cleaning more often is a must, a variety of chemicals will break down your line. What will really beat it up are rocks and other rough areas that will nick and cut the finish.

Usually when you start seeing small radial cracks it shows that your line is coming close to the end of its life. Chemical plasticizer migration starts happening over time (the stuff that makes a line supple) and can often be hastened by chemicals such as bug spray (a bad one) suntan lotion, gas, excessive heat (like leaving your reel on the dash of your car), or long exposure to the ultraviolet rays and direct sunlight. Check your rod guides for sharp or rough areas, and especially the line guard area as they can also be murder on lines. Stripping line off a reel across a rough line guard can damage a line quick. The other thing I would see a lot when guiding is people who strip off line and have it laying on the ground or rocks while fishing, often stepping on it. Keep the loops in your hands and off the ground.

Here's a classic way to care for lines

DSC_0187-1.jpg

On a side note I own and fish silk lines for my bamboo rods that where made in the 20's and have been heavily fished over 4 generations of fly fishers in my family.

WOW! i can only seem to get one season out of my lines by the time im done with them they are beat to shiz. There are some lines i can get 2 seasons out of them but i dont like how they cast im a big fan of the SA GPX. i just got new lines im going to use some of the advise here and try to get a couple seasons out of my lines. It would be nice to have the extra $250.00.Thanks for the tips.

Where do you fish most of the time?

Mostly the Bow but I make several trips down Forestry Trunk and fish the Livingstone, Oldman, Crowsnest, Carbondale, and others during the season, which for me is May thru October.

I would have to say 80% of the time I am nymphing. Wish it was 80% dry!

The suggestion about taking the line off the reel sounds like a good one. I always kept the line clean. I used a Cortland cleaning pad to lube the line. Just bought some Mucilin and wondering if it maybe not a good idea to use. Anybody use it?

If others are getting 2 to 3 years then I guess it's normal.

Lots of differeing opinions here. Some of you say 2-3 while others have said 6-8. There is a huge difference in those numbers. I think it comes down to way to many factors to be able to determine this. How many days you fish, where you fish, what seasons you fish most, and how well you take care of your line can all effect how long it lasts. But in the end some lines just last longer then others. I dont think I fish any more or less now then I did 10 years ago. But I had a Rio line last me not even a season, an Orvis last me 3, and an S.A. last me almost 5. I am onto another S.A. right now that I put on last summer, we will see how long it lasts.