Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Engine Poll

Engine Restrictions  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one of the following

• Ban all Gas engines above Carsland wier
    • Ban all two stroke engines in Bow river drainage
    • Continue to have Zero engine/size restrictions

You guessed it, this is a spin-off poll.

Interested to see what the community thinks from a number perspective.... rather than a argument perspective.

Should there be more options?

What about just enforcing a speed limit like they have on lakes? Bring your jet boats; just don't fly around on them. Or have a max hp size of 25 or something. (perhaps that's what the 2 stroke option is for above?)

Banning gas engines altogether smacks of snobbery and elitism and although a very good point could be made about the safety of power boats on the river with so many drift boats and drunken rafters, I think there are too many people who wouldn't like the idea that it would never come to fruition.

You should do the poll here, and then put the same poll on the OA forum and see what kind of numbers you get. I think it would be quite different.

Cheers.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

im not sure what you hope to accomplish by adding a poll to a re-posted topic. I think its fine the way it is and people need to learn to share! Guess what some people like to go fast in motor boats and NOT fish! So you will be banning public access to the bow for recreation because it you think it affects your fishing.

just my 2C

HaHa, I'm not trying to "accomplish" anything. I am interested to see what "our" community thinks of the situation (aside from b!tch!ng)

This poll is by no means any kind of official action for or against gas engines. This is an unbiased FFC survey.

PLEASE feel free to vote but try to keep the complaining in the other thread.

I am interested to see what "our" community thinks of the situation

No offense, I'm simply using this space to reiterate - a better poll would be to ask what people are willing to do/be involved with to effect a positive change that honors/respects all realms of recreational users. To only look at powered boats is to stick your head in the sand to ignore the fact the river is seen as the main water recreation/environmental backdrop for 1-1/4 million people and a futuristic vision needs to start evolving.

Cheers

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yep, i would personally LOVE to fly up the rivers in a jet just like i do in rental cars on curvy roads! It reminds me of a Nurmberg(sp) style track.

Guest Wrecker

terrible poll, did you work for a polling company during the Provincial election?

Now, being serious, how about an approach of education, enforcement, and maybe a max horsepower/vessel length/speed limit?

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty after having time to settle down and think this one through maybe the Bow is the best place for them. I can think of other much smaller, much more private waters where they would do REAL damage, and thankfully they have not or can not get onto them.

Guest bobjones
In all honesty after having time to settle down and think this one through maybe the Bow is the best place for them. I can think of other much smaller, much more private waters where they would do REAL damage, and thankfully they have not or can not get onto them.

...Yet.

Upper Red Deer

It is unfortunate that the actions shown in this video are being portrayed as the action of all river boaters. I bought my river boat to get away from the rat race of the lake . When I use the the river, I make every effort to to reduce my impact on other river user. My reason for being on the river is fishing, I am not there to just burn fuel or excelerate errosion, and least of all piss off other people. To paint all river boater with the same brush is no different that environmentalists treating all fishermen the same. If the river boats are so bad why is it that fish and wildlife, RCMP and the fire department have them. I would bet, that there are more tickets written for fishing infractions than there are for boating. I mostly fish the Red deer river ,and yes there is a lot of boat traffic. I would hope if there was a danger to any river user, that the RCMP would be camped out on the river much the same as on the lake and dealing with the issues.

Sorry for the rant

It is unfortunate that the actions shown in this video are being portrayed as the action of all river boaters. I bought my river boat to get away from the rat race of the lake . When I use the the river, I make every effort to to reduce my impact on other river user. My reason for being on the river is fishing, I am not there to just burn fuel or excelerate errosion, and least of all piss off other people. To paint all river boater with the same brush is no different that environmentalists treating all fishermen the same. If the river boats are so bad why is it that fish and wildlife, RCMP and the fire department have them. I would bet, that there are more tickets written for fishing infractions than there are for boating. I mostly fish the Red deer river ,and yes there is a lot of boat traffic. I would hope if there was a danger to any river user, that the RCMP would be camped out on the river much the same as on the lake and dealing with the issues.

Sorry for the rant

I didn't paint anyone with a brush, all I wrote was Upper Red Deer

I didn't paint anyone with a brush, all I wrote was Upper Red Deer

Yes I agree, that is all you wrote, but the posted video in the context of the thread becomes very damming. If the thread was about jetboating opportunities in Alberta then the video would represent something else.

I can safely say that the video portrays only a small percentage of the river boat community. Just like people who leave there garbage all along the rivers edge, they are a very small percentage of the angling community. But, their actions represents all anglers poorly.

I do agree that there should be some areas where any craft cannot go. ( boat, quad 4x4 ) there does need to be a place of uninterrupted quite

Guest Grinr
Upper Red Deer

WOW!!

Lemme guess.....Is this an instructional video demonstrating how to destroy fragile spawning habitat with liquor and fuel??

Azzwholes.... :(

• 1 month later...
... the river is seen as the main water recreation/environmental backdrop for 1-1/4 million people and a futuristic vision needs to start evolving.

agreed.

who drives that? who 'forms' that vision, or gathers the input from stakeholders, and puts it out there [as law, regulations, changes, whatever]?

what does the average schmo need to do?

agreed.

who drives that? who 'forms' that vision, or gathers the input from stakeholders, and puts it out there [as law, regulations, changes, whatever]?

what does the average schmo need to do?

Sad, pathetic, morons.

Unforntantly I will no take part in this poll as it is way to slated to one side.

What I would suggest is do something like.

A. Size and type of craft restriction

B. None at all

c. From Poilce to Mckinnons only

d. From Mckinnons to Carsland

c. Carseland down

U could get really fine tune cause if your going to point the finger at one type of river craft you really should be pointing the finger at ALL river crafts

Just curious about the poll question about 2 stroke engines? If it refers to older 2 strokes it should indicate. Many of the new ones have very low emissions than conform to California standards.

My Johnson is a two stroke. It doesn't smoke.

Looking at the results of this post, banning jets / motors will never happen. I happen to be all for a ban above carseland, but if 35% of this forums users (a very fly fishing oriented user group) think that jets are ok or use jets on the river, then there is just no way. The jets don't "hurt" the fish so there is no real reason for banning them other than selfish interests, mine included. They do ruin peoples dry fly evenings sometimes, they do ruin folks peace and quiet, but I guess if you are after than then the time has come to look elsewhere than the bow river.

Guest Wrecker

why does this topic automatically get pushed to the top, saying there is a new post "today"?

Hmm...

My Johnson is a two stroke. It doesn't smoke.

Good thing. Cigarettes are addictive. Says so right on the pack

1addictlow.jpg

Would a size restriction be a better option than an outright ban?