Fly Fusion Forums

7 Piece Rods

scel

I tried a search, but...no dice.

I have been fly fishing for a year.

I want a 7 piece, 4wt rod. I think that I would prefer tip-flex because high line speeds can be potentiated with less area.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Background...

I like hiking when I am fishing. Being confined to Calgary, most of that hiking is up and down the Bow river.

For the most part, my 6wt, 4pc rod is perfect for the Bow. Every once in a while, I am 4km from the car, there is no wind (I am serious, peeps, this actually happens), and big trout are rising to teeny caddis on a shallow glassy pool. Now, I know that this happens infrequently, but I just want to have the right tool for the job. I have certainly improved...a longer leader and a little patience seems to alleviate the "smack" of the fly hitting the water and the "vwwwip" of too eagerly snapping the line off the water for a fresh cast. While my casting could certainly improve, a 4wt rod improved my success. I would really like to carry a 4wt rod in my back-pack.

Now, I know that 'poor gear' will be a poor excuse for a poor fisherman.

Second question...

Has anyone ever carried a second, lighter travel rod? Do you find yourself using it?

Cheers.

I have both 5 & 6 piece custom rods (blanks are dancraft five rivers LT) for backpacking (1 - 3 wt 8' 5 piece, 1 - 3 wt 8' 6 piece [wife's] & 9' 4 wt 6 piece).The only other 6 piece that I know of is the Redington CT (Classic Trout - I have 3 wt 7'6" 4 piece - AWESOME value) not sure a 7 piece exists, if so it is not that common! 6 piece is great at about 16" & 18" per section respectively. The Dancrafts are a medium fast action and the Redington is a moderate action. For your purpose definitely consider a med/fast or mod action rod (for a delicate presentation)

Just my 2 cents.

P

Well there ya go, they do exist!!

Price on the Orvis is US$240 (plus US$20 for ordering b/c you are Canadian and then add shipping and duty). Not sure what CPs would charge and if they would charge you a special ordering fee (maybe Bcube can pipe in)

Redington CT is around $160 (+GST) at FTs (no special ordering price if they have to order one in!)!

The Dan Craft's are about $300 - $350 to have some one build one for you)...

P

How about:

http://reviews.orvis.com/7532/6555/category.htm

Never owned one, so I don't have a personal opinion on these.

Smitty

We've never charged special ordering fees. One thing I'd say is that the Frequent flier does not have your traditional foolproof warranty, only a 1 year manufacturing. Call if you want more info, if you're careful you should have no problem with the warranty, and they're actually really great little rods for the price

One thing I'd say about carrying another rod this way, is that by the time you get that rod all rigged up from scratch, wind or a duck is going to screw your rising fish. Personally Id be more inclined to carry a 4 piece 4 weight, done up with flies on broken down and kept together using rubber bands. A 8 6" 4 is going to break down small enough to not be a bother..

I'd also say from my experience, is that to be more successful dry fly fishing, commit to looking for rising fish, leave your 6 at home and carry only your dry box. I find a 5 weight a better rod for the Bow as it allows me to nymph, streamer and dry fish regardless of conditions.

Well there ya go, they do exist!!

Price on the Orvis is US$240 (plus US$20 for ordering b/c you are Canadian and then add shipping and duty). Not sure what CPs would charge and if they would charge you a special ordering fee (maybe Bcube can pipe in)

Redington CT is around $160 (+GST) at FTs (no special ordering price if they have to order one in!)!

The Dan Craft's are about $300 - $350 to have some one build one for you)...

P

Pretty sure I saw the Frequent Flyer by Orvis up at Bass Pro. Though, it would cost you the same amount in gas as the shipping from Orvis, just to get there and back.

have you done a google search? ive had lots of clients with 6 and 7 piece travel rods from europe all companies are not big players over here but im sure oyu can get something sent your way!!! like bcube mentioned i would suggest spending the time stalking fish! or have a rod semi prepared i usually just have a ldear on teh spool not rigged up but the reel on teh rod sort of thing it can come in ahndy when u find a pod of fish working forsure!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 6wt orvis frequent flyer that I bought for back up on trips. I don't like it at all. Also have a 7pc custom rod (sorry don't know what blank) built by John Retallack here in Calgary under the name 'Blackstone' which is great.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

those collapsible tenkora sticks are as small as the grip. I have been thinking of getting one for teeny back country creeks