Fly Fusion Forums

Go...fishing Story With A Friend.

flyfishy

flyfish for life,one life to fish!!!go fishing

With lots of fishing buddies !!!. my one story is when a member landed a 26" brown , in the lower Bow. With me in the pic. holding his fish .boy was he pissy !!! I am such a crappy photographer that he wanted to take the pic - had me hold it. He was laughing later.

come on guys, you must have a story of your buddy or a trip to add.

post-3881-1330038844.jpg this was the brown trout he caught, that I'm holding. We laughed all the way home after looking at the days pics on the camera.

you must have some fun stories to tell after fishing with a buddy. Tell us.

GO...

• 4 weeks later...

Where are you guys? No friend stories? Here's another one of mine:

This winter I went ice fishing with a family member -pulled out my hand tied flies, used a shrimp pattern about three feet down below the ice. My legs were sore from running with all the bites I got. He was quite upset, hopefully he'll send a pic. What I discovered from this trip was that matching the hatch through the hard water worked well.\

GO...

Hey FlyFishy nice fish man! You look just like sloth from the movie Goonies! But i bet you get that all the time with a face like that.....I'll post a story later about the time a giant Eagle carried me and my friend in it's talons all the way to a secret alpine lake in BNP it is an EPIC tale to long to share right now. Keep on fishing!

A friend and i were on the lower Bow, when he got a great brown on. It hit the air and wrapped around my line before i could get it out of the water. We got the lines in ccloser to the boat, and it was getting more tangled, so in my rush to clear the line, I went to cut mine at the fly, and cut his in error. Boy was he pissed, even more when i laughed my ass off.

When I was a kid I was fishing the lower Bow with my little sister. We were standing close together on the bank when she gets a fish. She says "it's a big one" and the fight starts. I lay my rod down on the shore and walk upstream to give her a hand landing the fish. A few minutes later she gets the fish in the shallows and I grab the line to land the fish. Funny thing is that I see another leader on the line. Turns out her leader was wrapped around another line that was actually attached to the hook in the fish's mouth. So even though she fought and landed the fish...it wasn't on her hook. The hook in the fish's mouth was actually mine! So for the whole fight my rod was laying on the shore while she fought the fish. It was a beautiful brown...I guess we had to share that one.

I was fishing with my friend Flyfishy one day and we caught fish. We had a great day. Flyfishy outfished me as usual.

He popped brown trout from under logs all day. we were fishing in the Dead man's flats area.

He may be the shittiest texter in the world, but I dare anyboody on this board to outfish him on the bow. complete nutcase but we love him!

Some of our best fishing pals are nut cases, lets here some more stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work with a fella named Lorne, over the years we became friends and would often discuss flyfishing over coffee. Finally we had an opportunity to plan an outing. I was quite nervous, Lorne has 30 years experience flyfishing and to be frank, all that BS'ing (read, chestpounding and horn tooting) over coffee had generated some expectations that would now have to be met, It was sinking in that the next couple years of coffee breaks could become quite awkward and humiliating.

When that sunny Saturday morning arrived, I woke to realize I had forgotten to set my alarm, as I scurried out the door I realized Lorne was likely already on the water and my aspiration of keeping up fish for fish was lost - Ohh the shame... I obliterated the speed limit driving to the trailhead, and then I practically ran the entire hike in to the alpine lake. I was exactly two hours late, not to mention sweaty and covered in breakfast crumbs. Sitting on the bank, reading, was Lorne's wife Rosalina, I introduced myself, we exchanged pleasantries, and she went on to explain that I hadn't missed anything. after donning my waders and belly boat, I kicked out to Lorne and he gave me a lengthy explaination about what he had employed and how all efforts bore no fruit per se "they are just not taking today, Rob". After making appoligies for my tardiness, I tied on an EHC, cast, and dragged out a nice V. Slam !!! My fly was immediatly taken by what proved to be a 14 inch Cutty. As I held the cutty up for Lorne to inspect, I will never forget the shrill-high fillapino voice of Lorne's wife, echoing across the still morning air, "HA HA HA LORNE....YOU SUCK !!!" I don't think I stopped smiling that entire day.

I had arrived just in time, and from that moment on we both preceeded to have a stellar day of surface cutthroat action. Good times, ...and I love taking coffee breaks at work with Lorne !

A childhood friend of my wife has a husband who loves to fly-fish, but isn't able to make it out as much as he'd like due to being a new parent (which I'm sure most of you can relate to!). All he's wanted to do for the past few years was to catch a brown, a species on his bucket list. I invite him down fishing a few years back and take him to one of my go-to spots. Day one, skunk. I felt bad as myself and another angler on the river managed to get a few to hand. Next AM (and his last chance) we wake up super early to hit another one of my favorite locales. Third cast, a taped 25" brown. Skinny (as they sometimes are early in the spring), but a beauty nonetheless. He proceeded to bring in another 6. I've never seen a guy so happy fishing in my life. Good to be out there with him and share that experience.

Thanks for the nice stories boys. Fishing season ahead, hopefully this thred will be fun filled with new stories and remember old stories are the best. Send your best - show a pic.

Here's the latest story. I was out fly fishing by fish creek yesterday, made a new friend. The game warden checked my licence, barbless hooks, and took a picture of me. Plus mentioned a good angling spot - now that's a friend story!

Because of the man's recommendation this is what I caught - a 26 inch brown. Nice to see the men in green out patrolling the river and sharing tips.

post-3881-1332028887.jpeg

Thanks for the nice stories boys. Fishing season ahead, hopefully this thred will be fun filled with new stories and remember old stories are the best. Send your best - show a pic.

Here's the latest story. I was out fly fishing by fish creek yesterday, made a new friend. The game warden checked my licence, barbless hooks, and took a picture of me. Plus mentioned a good angling spot - now that's a friend story!

post-3881-1332028887.jpeg

Because of the man's recommendation this is what I caught - a 26 inch brown. Nice to see the men in green out patrolling the river and sharing tips.

nice picture, im sure the fish enjoyed flipping on those rocks! <--poke--<

nice picture, im sure the fish enjoyed flipping on those rocks! <--poke--<

You are right - amature care of a trout - but the fish never flipped. Note the front fin came up to hide its eye from the sun. It came from the deep. I didn't expect to catch a fish this big and wanted to capture the moment. It was epic. Was not out long - only one quick iphone photo.

Lets move on and get more stories with friends and family. Leave my trout alone, its swimming happily in its happy place. GO...

Years ago back in Australia, my friend Simon and I were both trying to learn how to indicator nymph under a dry.

We probably tried for a whole season without any success.

It was especially frustrating as we kept hearing how it was supposed to be a highly effective technique.

Anyways, one day in a local tackle shop, I came across some bead head nymphs, and on a solo outing without changing anything

else I started catching fish on the nymph.

I told Simon, who didn't believe me and didn't bother to buy any bead head nymphs.

So out we went to the same stretch of river where i had previously caught fish and I let him go first.

We were using an identical setup. Royal Wulff as the indicator and a 2 and a half foot dropper to the nymph, except I was

using a bead head.

I let him go first and he fished this 30m stretch without any action.

Then i re-fished the same water behind him, and caught four fish on the bead head.

Needless to say, my new supply of bead head nymphs was soon dwindling.

Anyways the funny part of the story is that years later, Simon is teaching another mutual friend how to indicator nymph and he

starts telling a story (in front of me) of how "he" discovered the bead head nymph, how "I" wouldnt believe that it was a great

fly and that "I" fished the run with an ordinary nymph only for him to come through later and clean up with the bead head.

haha.

with friends like that....

I work with a fella named Lorne, over the years we became friends and would often discuss flyfishing over coffee. Finally we had an opportunity to plan an outing. I was quite nervous, Lorne has 30 years experience flyfishing and to be frank, all that BS'ing (read, chestpounding and horn tooting) over coffee had generated some expectations that would now have to be met, It was sinking in that the next couple years of coffee breaks could become quite awkward and humiliating.

When that sunny Saturday morning arrived, I woke to realize I had forgotten to set my alarm, as I scurried out the door I realized Lorne was likely already on the water and my aspiration of keeping up fish for fish was lost - Ohh the shame... I obliterated the speed limit driving to the trailhead, and then I practically ran the entire hike in to the alpine lake. I was exactly two hours late, not to mention sweaty and covered in breakfast crumbs. Sitting on the bank, reading, was Lorne's wife Rosalina, I introduced myself, we exchanged pleasantries, and she went on to explain that I hadn't missed anything. after donning my waders and belly boat, I kicked out to Lorne and he gave me a lengthy explaination about what he had employed and how all efforts bore no fruit per se "they are just not taking today, Rob". After making appoligies for my tardiness, I tied on an EHC, cast, and dragged out a nice V. Slam !!! My fly was immediatly taken by what proved to be a 14 inch Cutty. As I held the cutty up for Lorne to inspect, I will never forget the shrill-high fillapino voice of Lorne's wife, echoing across the still morning air, "HA HA HA LORNE....YOU SUCK !!!" I don't think I stopped smiling that entire day.

I had arrived just in time, and from that moment on we both preceeded to have a stellar day of surface cutthroat action. Good times, ...and I love taking coffee breaks at work with Lorne !

aha round eye you good fishman!

I took a buddy of mine out to the Liv a few years back and when we get to the river I ask where his waders are and he replies oh it's sunny I'm going to wet wade. it waa late September and the water was about 35 F. Anyway he had never fished the Liv before and he basically was catching 3 fish for every 2 I caught. But by around 3 the sun had gone behind the hills, I had just caught two out of a good run; when I noticed he wasn't by the river. I looked over on a gravel bar there he was shaking like a leaf and his lips were a purplish blue. He was just frozen. He said he had to go back to the truck to warm up, so I stayed to catch a few more fish just to get ahead of him. Not that we were counting or anything. He uses his waders more now too.