Fly Fusion Forums

Where To Buy Quality Flies Online?

I usually get mine from Blue Ribbon Flies in Yellowstone or from Troutlfies, although the first doesn't have the particular flies I am looking for, and the second is closed down at the moment. LeLand seems to be out of many patterns. Any suggestions? I am from out-of-town and there are no fly shops around here.

Thanks.

Recently I've been told about reelflies.ca. I've been told they are better quality then Iky... I am planning a test buy soon. FNG has purchased and speaks highly - a bit different variety then Iky, as well. Worth a look...

P

The flies at Reelflies.ca are actually tied by Canadians, in Canada. Can the same be said of Icky?

No idea. Wasn't saying anything about reelflies. Was just pointing out that the owners are local and support local causes. Wasn't trying to make it a contest.

Icky gets my vote. Reelflies.ca is a huge site and has a bigger selection (I have ordered from them and was looking forward to seeing them at the show as they were here last year, but they weren't this year) but you can't beat Icky for customer service. Order the flys on a Monday you have them by Wednesday. And a couple free one's to boot.

I have always bought from icky for my standard trout flies. Great service and like Rick said, local business that supports local causes. Thenfliesmhave held up well for me. I. Am waiting on a shipment from reelflies for a saltwater trip as they had a larger selection of what I was after. I. Will know soon how the quality is.

• 3 months later...

I just received my 1st shipment of flies from reelflies and I'm very impressed with the quality of hooks and ties. I've had issues with icky's unravelling, sliding down and bending out and I've tested these new ones and they seem much better!! They are slightly more expensive then icky ( by a few cents) but not that much of a difference. Don't get me wrong I will still order a few select flies from icky but I think I'm a convert for the majority!!

P

P. S I realize icky is a sponsor so I hope this unbiased "review" won't get pulled for the fact that it's not a glowing review of a sponsor ( time will tell)..

I am an Icky man. (how much arse smooching would I have to do to get sponsored hahaha)

Personally I have never had any troubles with their ties. Only problem is the damn trout eating them too much and destroying them.

Shipping is fast.

Local guys and therefore a local economic impact (don't think they are local tied, but correct me if I'm wrong)

Fished with Ben and met joe on the river. Both awesome guys.

Great price.

Plus they just added 40 new flies, great looking additions.

Their grab packs helped me a ton when I was just learning.

When you order they give you 10% discount code with your flies.

Free flies with every purchase (however the one they sent me I cannot figure out what the heck it is, but cutties love it)

I also find their site easier to navigate and less hassle.

Biased, maybe but I believe in them.

I am an Icky man. (how much arse smooching would I have to do to get sponsored hahaha)

Personally I have never had any troubles with their ties. Only problem is the damn trout eating them too much and destroying them.

Shipping is fast.

Local guys and therefore a local economic impact (don't think they are local tied, but correct me if I'm wrong)

Fished with Ben and met joe on the river. Both awesome guys.

Great price.

Plus they just added 40 new flies, great looking additions.

Their grab packs helped me a ton when I was just learning.

When you order they give you 10% discount code with your flies.

Free flies with every purchase (however the one they sent me I cannot figure out what the heck it is, but cutties love it)

I also find their site easier to navigate and less hassle.

Biased, maybe but I believe in them.

You guys need to start tying more and paying others less!!

You guys need to start tying more and paying others less!!

Still paying others. Aren't you?

At this point, I would rather pay others to do a good job than for me to do a crappy one that would just lead to frustration lol

I'm not much for tyin flies either... I tie when I have to, but its not my favorite thing to do... Plus I just dont have the time....

As far Icky flies go, I use them a lot, and have never had a Prob. With them...

Chers... Jeff..

I would just like to add an update...

I have had a recent conversation with Ben @ IckyFlyWorks and he has assured me that he has changed a few procedures and expectations with his supplier(s) and that he now insists that they use Mustad or Daiichi hooks... I've also asked him to ask his supplier to also thread (and head cement) the shanks so that the material doesn't slide down...

Nonetheless I very much appreciate his high level of (individual) customer service and wanting to make things right... I have assured him that I will still be buying select files from him!

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a bunch of flies from Icky Flies and I must say I'm quite impressed. Ordered last Friday and got them in the mail yesterday. That's quick.

As well they look like well tied flies and for the price you defenitley can't beat it. I went to Wholesale last week and picked up a couple at 1.99 a fly and they don't look as good as Icky's Flies for only a 1.00 a fly.

Plus to top it off they through in 4 free flies and I ended up getting 10% off my purchase with free shipping.

Will buy from them again forsure.

Just bought a bunch of flies from Icky Flies and I must say I'm quite impressed. Ordered last Friday and got them in the mail yesterday. That's quick.

As well they look like well tied flies and for the price you defenitley can't beat it. I went to Wholesale last week and picked up a couple at 1.99 a fly and they don't look as good as Icky's Flies for only a 1.00 a fly.

Plus to top it off they through in 4 free flies and I ended up getting 10% off my purchase with free shipping.

Will buy from them again forsure.

good flies for $1.00 , can't beat that , have a look at river bum , they also have great flies for like $1.00 to $1.25 and if you place a good order they also cover shipping

• 5 weeks later...

Well its good lesson in ordering from a solidly run business... :)

Just tried ordering from Icky's...nice website + discount coupon code + good rep.

Slight problem; they are out of many, many, many patterns and sizes!!! :(

Just dropped $80 on a competitor. Too bad Icky lost my business...I really wanted to buy from them!

Next time, I'll know not to leave it to the last minute (trip starts July 16th) and order my flies in May!

Smitty

Anglers Dream. Ordered from them 5 or 6 times now. Quality is great and at 58 to 61 cents each on average I can't reasonably see tying them myself. I still buy locally for ones they do not have available and when I run low. Only problem is it usually takes 2 weeks to get them via USPS out of Texas.

• 2 months later...