Fly Fusion Forums

Logging In Castle As Early As Next Week

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[sarc]the lumber industry should be ashamed of itself [/sarc] we could import from a third world country perhaps. this is a great example of NIMBY. forestry is always in someones backyard. alberta could forget the tar sands and stop exporting oil. stop drilling and stop exporting gas. stop exporting wheat and cattle. lets stop exporting all of our resources in Canada. calgary probably has good food banks. perhaps people who work in the resource sector need to rethink their position. maybe there is a better way to get trees. any ideas. other than not in your backyard :devil:

jones

They should be be acountable and I am not be sarcastic.

Take a drive out to Wiapours and go over one hill from the trunk road. If you find that acceptable then I guess I am a NIMBY.

PGK, thanks for helping get some action on this! While many points made on the thread are valid, I find that any action is better than no action. Similar to voting. People who don't vote have absolutely no right to complain about government or politicians. Same deal here.

PGK i respect your passion more than you will ever know and many on this board will miss you but you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinagar. The day you figure this out is the day you will effect great change Politically and amongst your peers. There is a difference between people hearing your words and listening to your words. Best of luck in your endevours they are honorable and worthy. Cheers.

Jared

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

logers are held responsible for the area they log!! this is for the protection on the forest and the protection of the industry. It is set up by the forestry managment to protect from illigal harvesting (a larger problem in other countries). They cant take diffent species and must replace what they took with checkups done yearly to replace what small trees did not take root.

im neither pro nor anti logging but we all need it in our every day lifes.

PGK i respect your passion more than you will ever know and many on this board will miss you but you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinagar. The day you figure this out is the day you will effect great change Politically and amongst your peers. There is a difference between people hearing your words and listening to your words. Best of luck in your endevours they are honorable and worthy. Cheers.

Jared

When I first read this, my first response is I couldn't agree with it more. But on reflection, I'm not so sure. Many of us do what we think we can to help the fisheries. We do it with our money contributing to issues that help the resource, or signing petitions, or in my case running an auction for streamwatch every year. And while these things are important, sometimes I wonder how much they really help.

But really, not that many of us are the get in your face, refuse to back down until something gets done types. While those people can be a royal pain in the ass, truth is we totally need them as well. We can all come up with many examples. Read anything about BC Salmon and it won't be long until Alexandra Morton's name comes up. I don't know Alexandra other than what I've read. My bet is she is a total PITA. But we need people like her. We may not always agree with the tactics used to educate, but it takes a certain personality type to be able to withstand the abuse one gets when truly standing up for what they believe. And with that type also comes a fierceness and single minded determination that can be off putting. The truth is our resources would suffer without them.

What these people need to realize however is that very, very few of us possess the personality types necessary to pursue our passions to that level. Since they are able to do it, they think everyone can. Not true. There is no chance I could. I'm just not confrontational enough. So while their efforts are more than appreciated (at least by me), they should try to refrain from beating the rest of us up for not attacking issues the same way they do. Like troutlover said, you can attract more flies with honey. Please try to remember who is with you and who is against you. Continually attacking your allies does no one any good in the long run.

So all that said, PGK, my true hope is you stick around. The world needs pains in the asses. Just try to cut us regular folk a little slack now and then!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have a hard time with people like this because they only seam to really care about the issues they are attacking and nothing else. This makes them come off as a pompus @$$ with a narow vision. What if they went and logged another area? would they still be making a stink about it? or is it a "out of my backyard so not my real concern"? As i said before i dont fish that area so it doesnt really matter to me (not the right attitude but its mine) if they log it today or 10 years from now it will still happen.

When I first read this, my first response is I couldn't agree with it more. But on reflection, I'm not so sure. Many of us do what we think we can to help the fisheries. We do it with our money contributing to issues that help the resource, or signing petitions, or in my case running an auction for streamwatch every year. And while these things are important, sometimes I wonder how much they really help.

But really, not that many of us are the get in your face, refuse to back down until something gets done types. While those people can be a royal pain in the ass, truth is we totally need them as well. We can all come up with many examples. Read anything about BC Salmon and it won't be long until Alexandra Morton's name comes up. I don't know Alexandra other than what I've read. My bet is she is a total PITA. But we need people like her. We may not always agree with the tactics used to educate, but it takes a certain personality type to be able to withstand the abuse one gets when truly standing up for what they believe. And with that type also comes a fierceness and single minded determination that can be off putting. The truth is our resources would suffer without them.

What these people need to realize however is that very, very few of us possess the personality types necessary to pursue our passions to that level. Since they are able to do it, they think everyone can. Not true. There is no chance I could. I'm just not confrontational enough. So while their efforts are more than appreciated (at least by me), they should try to refrain from beating the rest of us up for not attacking issues the same way they do. Like troutlover said, you can attract more flies with honey. Please try to remember who is with you and who is against you. Continually attacking your allies does no one any good in the long run.

So all that said, PGK, my true hope is you stick around. The world needs pains in the asses. Just try to cut us regular folk a little slack now and then!

Wiserhood.jpg

Sad part is I bet most of you couldn't tell which parts had been logged in the past in the Castle even though many of you have been through the old "virgin" forests.

I'm not for any further logging in the area as long as they will let it burn a time or two before disease and build up index make for irrepairable damage. But thats just not going to happen unfortunately.

Sad part is I bet most of you couldn't tell which parts had been logged in the past in the Castle even though many of you have been through the old "virgin" forests.

I'm not for any further logging in the area as long as they will let it burn a time or two before disease and build up index make for irrepairable damage. But thats just not going to happen unfortunately.

You are right after 20 years it is hard to tell where it was logged but until then here is what you will see.

I ask you please take a drive out to Wiapours and see for yourself what to expect for the future of Castle area or at least for the next 20 years.

They shut Wiaporous down because of the damage caused by 4 wheelers and opened it for logging. I have never seen 4 wheelers produce the damage that logging does.

post-1844-1320500985.jpg

Harvest responsibly or let it burn. The scars from the fire suppression in the same area from the Lost Creek fire and the Cherry Hill fire will still be there in a thousand years. Some of the fire breaks cut with D-9 cats are straight across country & Creek and were useless as the fires seemed to crossed them with ease.

Yup you absolutely correct!! It's used for building pallets and fence posts!! Totally worth while (from a cost/benefit analysis) if you ask me!!

P

None of the logging done in K country or the Castle area will be used to build houses or worse yet Rolling papers.

Will do Taco. On the way down can I borrow a chain?! You gotta have some around your place, all rednecks do!! LoL

P

Better head down and strap yourself to one of those dog-hair jackpine Peter, word is you have till around Xmas

Lol, funniest thing I ever heard: HONEST POLITICAN

Show me a honest politican in the world that does not have some type of secert agenda and I will be surprised.

You do know there is a very special place in HELL for MOST politicans.

I know one of them; my best friend's older brother; James Rajotte: MP Leduc-SW Edmonton.

No secret agenda, and he works harder than probably a lot of people on this board, including me (and I work pretty hard as a teacher). If there is a heaven,hell, or something in between, I'm putting hell as a distant third. So I am glad you said "MOST".

There are poliitcians who are worth the money they are paid, and do have a sincere interest in contributing to the advancement of our society.

Sorry. Naive, rose-colored, glass-half-full, rant-rebuttal thread-hi-jack done. :)

Smitty

Will do Taco. On the way down can I borrow a chain?! You gotta have some around your place, all rednecks do!! LoL

P

No chain here, just nylon jerk straps. I'm sure MEC will carry something in their environmental protest section.

[sarc]the lumber industry should be ashamed of itself [/sarc] we could import from a third world country perhaps. this is a great example of NIMBY. forestry is always in someones backyard. alberta could forget the tar sands and stop exporting oil. stop drilling and stop exporting gas. stop exporting wheat and cattle. lets stop exporting all of our resources in Canada. calgary probably has good food banks. perhaps people who work in the resource sector need to rethink their position. maybe there is a better way to get trees. any ideas. other than not in your backyard :devil:

jones

I work in the resource industry. There are places I don't want to see an oil or gas rig even though I work in the industry. Some places deserve to be protected. To me, the Castle system is one of these places. For the same reasons I want K country to be protected, I would like the Castle system to be as well. Is that NIMBY? I don't think so. I only really fish there maybe once a year, didn't get there at all this year. Logging there would have very little impact on me personally. It's just one of my favorite places and I would like to see it left alone.

I fished through parts of BC a lot this year. I accessed many of the fishing spots on roads totally built by the logging industry. On some of these roads there was very active logging going on. While it isn't my favorite thing, I understand that lumber needs to be harvested, and if I'm going to spend a lot of time back country on logging roads, then logging is part of the deal. I have a place in Panorama. They log up there like crazy. I've never signed any petitions about it. If I was a NIMBY type, I'd be all over that.

So I am in no way saying stop logging everywhere. Not even close actually. But I would personally prefer for the Castle area to be left alone.

• 2 months later...

The Castle logging is imminent now! This from a hiking outdoor forum today---not just fishermen against logging it. Anyone can join the upcoming onsite protest.

> Spray Lake Sawmills has just now cleared the area for road building and logging equipment in the Castle Special Place protected area, getting set to clear-cut.

>

> As Gord Petersen, Beaver Mines resident writes, “It's time to get the troops mobilized. A couple of dozen or, better, a couple of hundred people protesting at the site may get some attention. If you're able to help out in some way, or if you might be able to get some of your members out, please send your phone number(s) to Peter Sherrington psherrin@telusplanet.net and myself gordon@diomedea.com so we can get you on the phone list."

>

> Timely notices will also be posted on Facebook at Stop Castle Logging and the blog www.stopcastlelogging.org Or for current updates once the equipment moves in and people start picketing along the roadside(e.g. where to meet & times), you can phone Peter Sherrington 403 627-3522 or Carolyn Aspeslet at Castle Crown Wilderness Coalition office 9:30 am to 2:30 pm 403 627-5059 or evenings 403 628-3528

>

> Sustainable Resource Development and Spray Lake Sawmills are proceeding despite the thousands of messages, and hundreds of letters, and phone calls, and after numerous meetings, opinion polls, etc, etc.

>

> Thanks!

> Stop Castle Logging

> (An ad hoc network of local residents, businesses, recreationists and conservation groups)

>

> and

>

> Dianne Pachal, Alberta WILD Director

> Sierra Club Canada

> #210, 223 - 12 Ave., SE

> Calgary, Alberta T2R 0G9

> Phone: 403 234-7368 Email: dpachal@telus.net