Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing For Steelhead

monger

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't read all your guys' junk, but, if you're a hard up for numbers douchebag, by all means, float beads or nymphs. But do it with a centrepin. Cause doing it with a flyrod is pathetic and stupid. If you wanna float fish, use a float rod.

If you want to have a real steelheading experience, swing flies.

Easy Kris pump the brakes..... not everyone has posted junk.... As a matter of fact there is some really good replies if you take the time to read.....This is a good opportunity to educate the uneducated.

bahahaha, i find this incredibly funny to read...stupid steelhead "purists". WHAT, you dont use purple and pink!! its the ONLY thing they hit....no one going to post the 2 bears cartoon

when it comes down to it dont let other people tell you how to f$@k your wife and cook your beef!

p.s nothing on the gamu but the red paint, biatch

Again some good input from the peanut gallery.....

Interesting discussion.

"real steelhead experience"....that sounds great. I guess it is a choice of how we want to get our "fix". I can definitely see a progression from wanting to catch lots to catching fish in a challenging way. It is a matter of personal choice how fast (or if) we ever make that transition. The first one must be pretty special.

PGK, please sell all your hunting guns and start using a long bow because otherwise you're just missing out on the experience.

Guest Sundancefisher
Interesting discussion.

"real steelhead experience"....that sounds great. I guess it is a choice of how we want to get our "fix". I can definitely see a progression from wanting to catch lots to catching fish in a challenging way. It is a matter of personal choice how fast (or if) we ever make that transition. The first one must be pretty special.

PGK, please sell all your hunting guns and start using a long bow because otherwise you're just missing out on the experience.

X2

So as a beginner...what would be so wrong with catching more steelhead than fewer. Developing an interest and then honing your skills to the point you get more interested in the art of the technique versus seeing a fish.

Kind of the same way some people start out fishing lakes and streams for smaller trout then start to hunt larger and larger more ellusive trout.

I know there are some very emotional people demanding people do it there way because it the "best way" they know of in their opinion. But as fishermen...some times there is a graduation of sorts through various methods.

I say just go do it...then decide over time what you want to do going forward.

X2

So as a beginner...what would be so wrong with catching more steelhead than fewer. Developing an interest and then honing your skills to the point you get more interested in the art of the technique versus seeing a fish.

Kind of the same way some people start out fishing lakes and streams for smaller trout then start to hunt larger and larger more ellusive trout.

I know there are some very emotional people demanding people do it there way because it the "best way" they know of in their opinion. But as fishermen...some times there is a graduation of sorts through various methods.

I say just go do it...then decide over time what you want to do going forward.

Thats fine and dandy for pellet feed raindows in a stocked lake....Hone away... Its not about the "best way" its about the "only way" to fish for wild steelhead... If you have'nt held a wild steelhead in your hands you just will not get it...and some that have still don't get it.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

righty, i dont think you "get it" as you put it. Not all of us fish for the glory of wind steelhead! some of us are just out to have a good time with nature and friend.

steelhead are cool. awesome. i've done it a few times, guided. i have contracted the fever. i get why people pursue them in the shittiest weather and sleep on rocks and the in back of trucks [i'm not quite there yet].

my last trip, we hooked and landed on swung intruders, dries, and a swung nymph. made me wonder about using a more traditional nymphing set up. i was curious to try it, however, i can't say that it'd be the most effective way to fish for me, based on where you are...maybe one run we fished out of them all i could've effectivly cast/presented a dead drifted nymph. in the end didn't get the opportunity to explore that...we stuck with the guides program, and we caught fish. don't know if a dead drifted something would've made them more interested in a take. i suspected not...they seemed to like movement and some action.

was a curiousity thing.

the 'traditions' associated with any type of fishing will continue to evolve i suspect...i know that there are some who think it's blasphemy to throw a tube fly, or intruder. i got *hit on once [seriously] for not having a spey rod. wtf.

i get the tug is the drug. i've gotten way better at the swung presentation. i now completely understand why a 2 hander would be a good choice, and i'm gonna get me one. but guys who cast singlehanded and do it well got game.

i have also done the pencil lead gig, and centerpinning, or whatever the heck that is. not my scene. but yes does seem to be more effective. we caught quite a few. but i found that to be very much a case of diminishing returns.

each to his own...why haters gotta hate?

i'd rather throw flies. i'd rather fight one on my flyrod as opposed to on 10 on gear.

don't know how it'd feel to catch them on a nymph. would it work any better or worse?

no idea. was curious to see. doesn't seem to be very popular so there's not a lot of info on that i could find. i stuck with what i got taught, how i got schooled by the guides i have used.

for me, for the fish of 1000 casts, the tug is indeed the drug. or now, as of this last trip...that huge head sucking down that basketball-sized skated fly - that shakes you up really bad. like it gets into your head, like right into your brain...

*hit, now i have to go back again...like rfn. thought i had it out of me for a year...

when do we leave?

I don't care how you fish, I'll tip my hat to any fly caught rainhead steelbow. Where does this "traditional" steelhead elitist stuff come from? Our fly angling fore fathers whacked and stacked steelhead, just like every other resource they could exploit, there were very few who held the steelhead on the pedistal they now reside. Shoot I remember in the late 80s early 90s when pinners and bird chuckers could occupy the same run, the same plane, the same camp and even enjoy stories of the days exploits over a whiskey and cigar. Is this an age thing? I'd be interested to hear if guys like Art L, care how you fish for steel or if they are just happy you are another steward on the water with a fly stick? If it is truly about the fish why does it matter how the fish is caught? If we can't unite as FLY ANGLERS how can any one expect us to mount any sort of front to combat the forces that hinder these great fish.......... perhaps a C&R T river could be the return?????

If we aren't tossing roe glowed bugs shouldn't we have common ground?

I'm kinda thinking of this like sex, if you're out of breathe and sticky at the end didn't you do it right regardless of position? I guess some of you guys just can't get past missionary.

I actually started with the longbow, thanks. I also started my steelheading career with 8 skunkings in a row before I got one. Yeah, I could have drifted beads into fish I was watching, but that would have been a really, really lame way to catch your first steelhead.

But I guess if you're a super badass hcore to the max super phat tight rope dope smoke tough guy, you need to catch mega shitloads of numbers to back your rep, yo.

So, you "started with the longbow". Is that what you use now?

righty, i dont think you "get it" as you put it. Not all of us fish for the glory of wind steelhead! some of us are just out to have a good time with nature and friend.

Ok...Guess I don't get it.. Now go back to your coloring book please and let the adults talk.....

Rightyeegs, have you ever had the chance to catch steelhead on dead drifted dry flies? Would this be the ultimate experience?

Yes and no......and maybe... Yes I have caught steel on a dead drifted dry....however the "no" I can't take credit for anything other than a gong show on that occasion... Never caught steel on an intentional dead drifted dry....But for some this maybe the ultimate experience...

To clear thing up about the hate towards gear guys...nothing could be further from the truth...I had buddies that used gear and made the transition to fly's....Its those guys who I learnt to steelhead from..I had them teaching me the "in's" and "out's" of steelheading and owe them alot. I don't and never will slag a gear guy at least he picks his side.....however a fly guy with a bobber has no allegiance and will quickly feel out of place on most steelhead waters. Skip semantics and just get a gear rod and centerpin like I have said before.

I am targeting fresh hot fish that are willing to move 10+ feet to turn on a swung fly...That is best done with a traditional swing...END OF STORY!

haha, a punk through and through!

And again he breaks through with an earth shattering post.. I wouldn't think so low of you 420flyfishin if you actually posted something half intelligent and added to this discussion...However with posts such as the above and plenty of others it appears you have absolutely zero experiance with steelhead and zero to add to this discussion.... Surprise me.

Hey guys, fairly new to Calgary and the board, this is my first post. I am from southern ontario, and a lot of the rivers sort of dictate nymphing vs. swinging. I dont know if anyone here would even consider great lakes steelhead "steelhead", although many of the river have "wild" steelhead populations, but in any case most of the rivers are fairly small and better suited to nymphing, while some of the larger rivers (grand, maitland, niagara) are better suited to swinging. Ive caught steelies both ways, but to be honest I prefer to nymph. You dont necessarily have to run an indicator, a lot of the time I dont, especially when the water is clear (as it often is), and I think its a lot of fun fishing pocket water that is usually over looked and catching fish where other people dont. However, when I did catch my first steelie on a swung olive zonker, it was pretty wild....... :mellow: ..... Nymphing is definitely productive, and not always done with egg patterns.

Well I do think this whole idea of nymphing versus dry versus swinging is silly.

Who are you guys to tell anyone they don't "respect" a fish.... no REVERE a fish.... when they land it no matter what method they have used? I've got steel swinging, skating, and dead drifting... and I have revered and enjoyed and could tell you a story about each one of them. They are all so special. Each one has left me shaking, exhausted, and awestruck at it's beauty and size and fight. To say I enjoyed any of those moments any less because a few of them in my steel career were not on the swing is just plain ludicrous.

And to say it's not about catching, WHAT???? sure it is! You mean to say I am going to go over to BC, pay hundreds of dollars of hotel money, a $60 steelhead stamp, a $60 yearly license, and over $200 in a week for day licenses, plus food, snacks, coffee and everythinhg else, and NOT WANT OR EXPECT FISH? I drop a thousand bucks easy for a week over there.... so hell no. I'm there for fish.... now having said that, if they are going to take a skating fly I'm all over that. If they want a swung fly, let's do it. If I am standing in a river full of eggs and can SEE them eating the eggs and ignoring my swung flies, by hell my egg pattern is going on.

And do I treat each one with love & respect when caught, like heck I do. There's nothing better than a steelhead :)

now back to your regularily scheduled programming.

Didn't read all the posts but it is an interesting subject. At certain times of year nymphing will always outproduce any other method in certain areas.

Someone who has never caught a steelhead might wonder why not nymph if you can catch more fish. But the natural progression for steelheaders is realizing it is not about the numbers of fish. ITS ALL ABOUT GETTING THE HOT FISH. And I like to think that I might fish a method that will get me more of those HOT fish. And that is with either a dry when temperature permits or a wet with a light sink tip. I want fish that moves to my fly, more aggressive and typically fresher. Having a fish hammer my swung wet is a much more appealing than seeing an indicator go down. Or watching a steelhead boil,roll several times on several casts (changing flies to entice him) to eventually hammer it. No comparison.

Also nymphing eggs is usually best higher up in the tribs where there are other salmon spawning. I also try not be that high up in the system - older not as HOT fish.

Yes you can target fresher fish.

If you continue to fish for steelhead you WILL eventually understand what I am talking about.

Good luck. In this case ignorance is an excuse.

HOW ABOUT NYMPHING FOR ATLANTICS IN SCOTLAND?

Well I do think this whole idea of nymphing versus dry versus swinging is silly.

Who are you guys to tell anyone they don't "respect" a fish.... no REVERE a fish.... when they land it no matter what method they have used? I've got steel swinging, skating, and dead drifting... and I have revered and enjoyed and could tell you a story about each one of them. They are all so special. Each one has left me shaking, exhausted, and awestruck at it's beauty and size and fight. To say I enjoyed any of those moments any less because a few of them in my steel career were not on the swing is just plain ludicrous.

And to say it's not about catching, WHAT???? sure it is! You mean to say I am going to go over to BC, pay hundreds of dollars of hotel money, a $60 steelhead stamp, a $60 yearly license, and over $200 in a week for day licenses, plus food, snacks, coffee and everythinhg else, and NOT WANT OR EXPECT FISH? I drop a thousand bucks easy for a week over there.... so hell no. I'm there for fish.... now having said that, if they are going to take a skating fly I'm all over that. If they want a swung fly, let's do it. If I am standing in a river full of eggs and can SEE them eating the eggs and ignoring my swung flies, by hell my egg pattern is going on.

And do I treat each one with love & respect when caught, like heck I do. There's nothing better than a steelhead :)

now back to your regularily scheduled programming.

The point I am trying to make...which again I will reiterate is steelheading is "NOT" a "NUMBERS" game... Brian you are spewing crap again on subjects you should avoid like the plague. You have gone steelheading a grand total of 3? times which hardly makes you an expert..... Provided you are fishing a summer run river with a decent run of steel...know how to read water.. and can cast 60 ft of line you will catch steel on the swing.... it takes time to read the water and figure were they hold.. each time you catch a fish you'll learn were you caught it...at which point of the swing it hit and the speed of the swing. Nymphing will not be the magical answer and instantly attract fish... if you have not touched steel for a week swinging to them its probley cause your in the wrong water.. and adding a stonefly or egg pattern will be a waste of time.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

to Righty, the thread was asking a question IF YOU CUOLD NYMPH FOR SH, i replied with a yes and you jumped on the brown bear band wagon and started slamming anyone who says yes. you dont care if people bait fish for them but when some one does somehting different with a fly rod it is TOTALLY WRONG!!! what if i was nymphing a egg sucking stone fly or a sand shrinp? would this be better...

but if you want to act like JJones11 (he turned into a good guy) cerca last year then go for.

Didn't read all the posts but it is an interesting subject. At certain times of year nymphing will always outproduce any other method in certain areas.

Someone who has never caught a steelhead might wonder why not nymph if you can catch more fish. But the natural progression for steelheaders is realizing it is not about the numbers of fish. ITS ALL ABOUT GETTING THE HOT FISH. And I like to think that I might fish a method that will get me more of those HOT fish. And that is with either a dry when temperature permits or a wet with a light sink tip. I want fish that moves to my fly, more aggressive and typically fresher. Having a fish hammer my swung wet is a much more appealing than seeing an indicator go down. Or watching a steelhead boil,roll several times on several casts (changing flies to entice him) to eventually hammer it. No comparison.

Also nymphing eggs is usually best higher up in the tribs where there are other salmon spawning. I also try not be that high up in the system - older not as HOT fish.

Yes you can target fresher fish.

If you continue to fish for steelhead you WILL eventually understand what I am talking about.

Good luck. In this case ignorance is an excuse.

HOW ABOUT NYMPHING FOR ATLANTICS IN SCOTLAND?

Well said Pete

Brian, you're such a fish whore.

I think after a few days of no bites I might want to touch one too...

Maybe after the skunk was off I could hold out longer. I feel dirty already and I haven't gone yet.

Monger

what a hot topic you started , some great posts made , your feeling dirty already and you haven't even gone yet , ha ha , thats just to darn funny

so before it really gets into a shits show , as some of these guys i think just want to chuck crap at each other , i'll try to give you my thoughts on it

my story and advice to you

STORY

first time i went , i had the thought of just wanting to catch one fish so i could add it to my list of fish caught , as i spent my days growing up fishing and to me atlantic salmon was the king of the fly fishing , i'v gotten well over 100 atlantic salmon on flies , even some on drys , small green bombers , now thats another story for another day when we meet again on the river Monger ,

so i had forum member Silver Doc and Mike Mailey from Southbow fly shop , tie me up some flies to swing for these so called steelhead , i didn't have a clue where to start or even what to use , so i sought advice , did lots of homework

the time had come and after the long drive over , was 3 of us , the first couple days and i think maybe i had 2 fish swinging , swinging was easy for me as i had been doing it for years , only thing was with a single hand rod and atlantic salmon , they just hold in diff spots then steelhead , i should add at most times they do , but i was this time using a spey rod which i will say helps in getting more distance and is a joy to cast

next day i was standing in a run fishing when 3 guys walked past me and started above, coming down the run following me , about 10 mins into it a big fish jumped out in the river and the guy above hooked and landed it , another 10 mins goes by and another bigger fish jump's about 40 feet out from me and the same guy above me hook's it ,

i'm thinking to myself , holly *hit this guy is picking up fish where i just fished through it , i turn around and walk out from the run as the fish is so close to me by now from coming to the bank , and i said to him i would help him land it , my reason was to just see what he was using ,

when i tailed his fish , i couldn't believe what i saw in it's mouth , a '' EGG '' orange in colour , he could hardly speak english but after 20 mins of talking with him , and nodding my head many times , he told me it was all he uses , and he got 7 fish the day before , and he ended up getting another following me down to the end of the run , well that night i called a buddy in the area and he had some tied up , next day we went a fishing with the egg , i never used a float / bobber / or yarn , just a big sink tip and it was kinda like letting it swing , same way i seen that Italian fellow fish and catch 3 in less then a afternoon

but to me it was still nymphing , only without a indy , i fished for them just like one would do on the bow river as my thoughts they were really just a trout anyway , i ended up getting lots of fish , it was in my opinion very easy , was still allot of fun at the time , i think i got like 15 one day but the guys who were with me said i got 18 , don't matter on the numbers as i just want you to know monger that it is a deadly easy way to catch em , some will call it swinging the egg , call it whatever one wants , to me it's still nymphing for them , they do it lots and lots in the east for steelhead , ont and in the eastern states , most times they use floats or indy's

after that first year and my one week trip , all i could still think of was that great clean silver hen that gave me such a fight on a swung fly the second day , she was not the biggest fish of the week , but she was the best fighting fish of the week in which we got 55 steelhead between us and a couple were in the 40 inch and way bigger , hands down as she was so hot and fresh , i can still see her in the air out in the middle of the bulkley

next time for me , a full year later i went for a week , i used the egg for a day only when it was slow going and got a couple fish , then the water cleared and i was back to swinging for them with flies , after some great fish on the swing with intruders and such hard pulls that sometimes would almost rip the rod from your hand , it came to me that this was a much much better way to fish for them , and if you hit it right , it can be just as deadly as any egg , only way way more fun and very addicting ,

i had some days with 12 hooked and landed 6 all on the swing , now you must understand it was a good year for fish , better then they have seen in years , that is not the norm for steelhead fishing , i would say like getting one a day is good if you decide to just swing for them ,

i went back again for another week , slept in my back seat of my truck , i was now getting hooked bad , and this time again , i only swung for them , had a blast , caught again lots of fish and was really getting this so called steelhead '' tug is the drug'' , so after that trip ,

well again i went for another week and swung only intruders and black leach patterns for them , i was now very very much into swinging only for them , words can't say what it's like , you will have to see for yourself , i'v seen you fish and i know you'll get into them , it's more of how bad you want to tough it out as it can be slower fishing for sure at times

this year so far i have only again swung for them and i will never use the egg again , one could say , i grew out of it by just catching a bunch and getting lucky with a good year for a run of fish , i was able to land 27 fish in one of those weeks all on the swing , it changed me in a big way and the whole thought on fishing for steelhead ,

i have this year also gone to swinging classic speys and dee's for them , plus also using a 12 ft bamboo in splice joint with some older hardys perfects , it add's to the overall battle and the excitement ,

i can still remember the day on the bow river about 3 years ago when PKK told me that it's a growing thing and a learning curve , and he told me that after a bunch of fish i would grow to swinging only and then even going after them with drys on top , he was so correct , because he's seen it before many times with guys , now i find myself looking for them so called '' hot fish that will rip you a new ass hole in a good fight ''

for my last trip of this season , it will be 16 days swinging some great flies and will be no swinging the egg for me , i will go blank befor i do and enjoy the moments on the river as it really is just god dame nice to be alive and able to fish in that country , i no longer have to get fish to make my day , it's now about the experience

next year in 2012 , i plan to just spend my time on the main skeena fishing for the even better hotter fish

my Advice to you Monger

go get some eggs , take em , stop by my house as i think i have 6 or 7 and you can have em , also i have some great books about steelhead fishing and your more then welcome to have em and read em , just return them when your done , for your eggs , go to troutfitters downtown and get some , they have a steelhead guy on staff who likes to fish em when it gets tough , ha ha

, go get yourself some fish , have fun , but i think once you see the whole package , you will grow into swinging only for them once you catch a few , same as i went through , PM me and i'll give you my cell number as i'll be around the smithers area and you can text me , i'll have my jet and might be able to take you for a day with me if your having trouble finding some fish or spots

and remember this Monger from me , as your already feeling a little bit dirty , when you have that big steelhead on and you get em in your hands , look at that egg in his month , it's dirty, but nothing a good clean shower won't fix , ha ha

all these great posts , some really made me laugh ,

PGK , easy big fellow , chris , we know how you feel about us fish whores from calgary who nymph , we don't have the luck of living in your country and able to fish everyday for them , so try to understand that guys do like to catch fish , when they take a week off work and spend that kind of money to fish for steelhead , just might not be your way of fishing for them

bcube , well stated brent , and it's kinda like using a nymph for cutty's on the oldman , they deserve better , i'd sooner sit all day on a rock and drink coffee and wait for them green drakes to start popping

Righteggs , your so correct , it is not a numbers game for sure , and yes brian is a fish whore , everyone knows that , yet everyone can fish the way they see fit to do , i still pray for brian at night hoping he will see that the '''egg or red worm''' is not king , ha ha , just don't ever think or bet with him that you can outfish him , as he'll eat you alive

i also think and feel that everyone can fish whatever way they want , , and yes if you really just want to pound some fish , like Rightyeggs says , go get a long rod with a centerpin reel and you'll slay em , use the egg , get some of them pink rubber worms , have at it , and to hell what people say or think , if thats your cup of tea

now if your looking for a better experience and i'm pretty sure it will change the way you fish for steelhead, then swing for them with a speyrod or even a single hand rod , and hang on tight for the ride, as nothing is like it

for me , i like this tug on the swing , the harder the better , sends shivers up my back and gives me goose bumps , i love getting my knuckles wacked hard in the fight , palming my reel ,

and last , this is the gods honest truth , i have never ever smoked a joint , tried any of that hash or coke , any dope at all in my life , but if it's like this steelhead tug , i can see and understand now why it's so hard to quit and people get addicted

sorry about the big post , and again this is only my opinion , not right or wrong , just the way it happen to me and for those who fish with eggs , beads, big pink worms , whatever is your cup a tea, if you can try to give it a go with a 2 handed rod and a nice classic spey fly and get em on the swing , you'll be more then happy and i will go so far as to say that it will change you