Fly Fusion Forums

Hunting Season

Ricinus

I can't get the link to work. Is that the guy who was bowhunting and carrying the deer decoy?

This is all it says about the incident.

""Cochrane RCMP also continue the investigation into what police have termed a 'hunting accident' in the Waiparous area Friday shortly after noon, RCMP media liaison Const. Kerry Doran said in a news release.

According to Cochrane RCMP Const. Gary Fedrau, the victim, a 42-year-old man from Calgary who had been bow hunting west of Forestry Trunk Road 940, approximately 23 kilometres north of Highway 1A, was shot once in the abdomen by a 55-year-old man from Airdrie.

After being treated at the scene by Cochrane emergency medical services personnel, Fedrau said, the victim was flown by STARS to Foothills Hospital, where he underwent surgery and remained in stable condition.

As of Tuesday, police were still looking into the incident.

"I know the investigation isn't finished," Cochrane RCMP Cpl. Roger Waidson said. "The victim still needs to be interviewed."""

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. You guys will bitch about anything won't you.

Ok.....the sky is green. GO!

And some people feel necessary to post on every thread, FNG.

I find this comical all the vast knowledge from people who don't hunt, but can google.

The interweb must true.

Reading through all these posts about blaze orange, does support my initial comments that there appears to be this propagating perception that hunting or being in the woods is a high risk activity. What are we at now...7 times more likely to get shot if not wearing orange?

Do I hear 10?

This is all it says about the incident.

""Cochrane RCMP also continue the investigation into what police have termed a 'hunting accident' in the Waiparous area Friday shortly after noon, RCMP media liaison Const. Kerry Doran said in a news release.

According to Cochrane RCMP Const. Gary Fedrau, the victim, a 42-year-old man from Calgary who had been bow hunting west of Forestry Trunk Road 940, approximately 23 kilometres north of Highway 1A, was shot once in the abdomen by a 55-year-old man from Airdrie.

After being treated at the scene by Cochrane emergency medical services personnel, Fedrau said, the victim was flown by STARS to Foothills Hospital, where he underwent surgery and remained in stable condition.

As of Tuesday, police were still looking into the incident.

"I know the investigation isn't finished," Cochrane RCMP Cpl. Roger Waidson said. "The victim still needs to be interviewed."""

This was the guy that was shot while carrying a full sized decoy during rife season in Waiporous. Definitely a "high risk" behaviour quite different then walking into a stream to fish. If you are carrying around a decoy, then blaze orange would be smart.

Hey Pipes

ScottN and Fish4trout asked for links- I provided what I thought was a credible source. Whether you believe it or not is your choice. As for high risk activity, do they not sell reflective clothing for walking or riding at night? How about reflective vests for workers, is this Fearmongering or just being careful? Anyways, no hard feelings or personal sh!t intended or taken.

Mike

And some people feel necessary to post on every thread, FNG.

I find this comical all the vast knowledge from people who don't hunt, but can google.

The interweb must true.

Reading through all these posts about blaze orange, does support my initial comments that there appears to be this propagating perception that hunting or being in the woods is a high risk activity. What are we at now...7 times more likely to get shot if not wearing orange?

Do I hear 10?

The interweb must true.

Know what I find comical? People who think they're smarter than everyone else. But I see your point. My measley 23 years of hunting experience doesn't qualify me to have an opinion. Nor does my ability to do a little research.

Why exactly do you prefer to wear camo, anyway? To hide from the animals? You know they're color blind, right? Or does it just make you feel cool to dress up like a commando?

You're claiming of stating facts, so I don't see what your experience and opinion has to do with anything here.

I assumed you didn't hunt because you shared no information towards that and admittedly got your facts from googling.

I'm sorry, but I don't see accurate scientific evidence on what appears to be articles written that are pasted with more advertising than pertinent information. You continue to contradict your stats by going from 3 to 7 times more safe. Which one is it?

There's no correlation to Alberta, in which I am specifically discussing. Alberta is a diverse hunting ground, from prairie, to foothills to mountains with a vast difference in population density of hunters to New York. We have significantly more styles and species to hunt. I base my opinion on legitimate facts not taking 10 minutes to google something that "fits' to defend your position.

Here's some FACTS from Alberta. There were 104889 , 102193 and 100820 hunting license bought in alberta in 2010, 2009 and 2008 respectively.

Now, tell me how many people were shot and how many were not wearing orange. what conditions were they under?

As already pointed out your stats don't directly correlate wearing orange decreases your risk by the numbers you describe.

I dont' wear cammo. Specifically, I dress in layers, but my outer visible layer is the following: MEC Dogma pants in Black, Dark grey North face Shell and Blue fleece toque (not sure the brand). They don't make me feel cool or like commando, but they do keep me comfortable in the elements.

Now go get some real facts or calm down.

If I had forgot my blaze orange toque at home while en-route to a hunting trip, I would turn around and get it or buy a new one on the way. It's not the law in Alberta but it's certainly a good idea.

I wear my seatbelt while in a moving vehicle, not because its the law, not because I don't trust my driving....but because I don't trust other drivers. Some of them are texting, some of them are applying make-up, some of them are drunk!!..and guess what....some hunters are drunk too!!

Anything that hedges the odds in favour of me(or my friends) NOT getting shot by a big game rifle makes me happy. The actual odds are irrelevant to me, could be 30% safer could be .1% safer... I choose safety.

After witnessing some of the antics out at the Homestead Public Range this summer, and knowing that some of those people will be out in the bush looking for something fill their freezer, I will be thinking twice about some of the trails that I mountain bike on and use to access water that I like to fish, with or without high vis clothing.. There's quite a few idiots out there and I do not want to become a statistic.

This was the guy that was shot while carrying a full sized decoy during rife season in Waiporous. Definitely a "high risk" behaviour

OMG. I haven't laughed that hard in weeks. Great stuff.

As for the NY gov reference (7 times safer): hunting down there is not the same as it is here. They get a huge percentage of people hunting that did not grow up with firearms.

I grew up in Massachusetts, about 2 hr from NYC and 2 hr from Boston. People were shot often by hunters; almost every year. I had a neighbor that had their black and white great dane killed by a hunter. Looked more like a cow then a deer.

When a deer was shot where I grew up, you had to take it to the tagging station the same day. One year, someone brought in a goat. A domestic goat. Not only did they shoot it, the thought it was a deer after they shot it, and tried to get it tagged!

You continue to contradict your stats by going from 3 to 7 times more safe. Which one is it?

My point was that there's all sorts of studies, with all sorts of results. It was mentioned that many studies showed no added safety from wearing blaze orange, I was just showing that there are other perspectives. Heck, there are studies that show cigarettes have no impact on your health! Forget stats and studies. It seems undeniable to me that fluorescent colours make you far more visible, therefore less likely to be accidentally shot.

Although animals are "colour blind" camo still breaks up your silhouette far better than wearing solid colours. Camo is definitely not a neccesity, but any self proclaimed 20 year hunter should understand it's benefits.

Camouflage is based on 5 principles: Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, and Movement. Even if you're wearing a ghillie suit, if you move while eyes are on you, the jig is up. As far as sihouette goes, there is such a thing as orange camo, so you get the best of both worlds; hi-vis and a broken outline.

I'd like your reference for your "facts". If that was true, why does Alberta not require hunters to wear blaze orange any longer? At one time hunters had to wear blaze orange, now we no longer do. Why would they change the law if it actually could be proven to save lives? Most hunting accidents are the result of an accidental discharge, not being mistaken for wildlife.

My guess is that Alberta doesn't make people wear orange as a way to indirectly "thin out" the hunters who make poor decisions. <--poke--< I've met too many "hunters" who shoot first and let God sort out the rest to ever walk around in hunting season without orange.

Had a guy walk out onto a cutline in a Gillie (sp?) suit several years ago and he looked JUST like a moose until he began to walk across the line. I even scoped him because I was sure it was a moose and not a person. Had it been someone else sitting there instead of me... well? I was pissed that I had been put in that situation by another hunter. All it would have taken was an orange toque. I use binos when I'm not sure but again, hey looked just like a moose!

It's irresponsible not to wear it IMO. I want other hunters to be able to see me and I them. Why wouldn't you? Trying to compensate for something by showing how "tough" you are? I don't get it...

Cheers.

My guess is that Alberta doesn't make people wear orange as a way to indirectly "thin out" the hunters who make poor decisions. <--poke--< I've met too many "hunters" who shoot first and let God sort out the rest to ever walk around in hunting season without orange.

Had a guy walk out onto a cutline in a Gillie (sp?) suit several years ago and he looked JUST like a moose until he began to walk across the line. I even scoped him because I was sure it was a moose and not a person. Had it been someone else sitting there instead of me... well? I was pissed that I had been put in that situation by another hunter. All it would have taken was an orange toque. I use binos when I'm not sure but again, hey looked just like a moose!

It's irresponsible not to wear it IMO. I want other hunters to be able to see me and I them. Why wouldn't you? Trying to compensate for something by showing how "tough" you are? I don't get it...

Cheers.

I'm not trying to start arguments with anyone, if you want to wear blaze orange, go for it! There is NOTHING wrong with that. Still, I ask when was the last time someone was shot in Alberta after being mistaken for wildlife? You scoped someone in a gillie suite? tisk tisk... that's what binocs are for.

Still, I ask when was the last time someone was shot in Alberta after being mistaken for wildlife?

Well, if you asked ( I believe this was two years ago):

A 55-year-old hunter was killed by his shooting partner about 4:15 p.m. Sunday while walking through a heavily wooded area about 13 km northwest of Bentley.

A group of four males had been hunting deer in different locations on the rural property about 160 km north of Calgary when the fatal shot was fired, said Sylvan Lake RCMP.

One of the hunters believed he saw a deer about 300 metres down a cut line and took a shot with a .308 calibre rifle.

He waited one minute, saw more movement and fired a second shot.

At this time he heard a very strange noise and knew something was wrong, racing to the site to find his hunting partner suffering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

The 57-year-old shooter from Lacombe performed CPR and first aid following instructions from a 911 dispatcher.

Paramedics also attempted resuscitation but pronounced the Bentley man dead at the scene.

Charges are pending.

Now, you think this would happen if the guy was wearing orange? Don't think so. You take your life into your own hands every time you walk into the bush during gun season and don't wear it.

You scoped someone in a gillie suite? tisk tisk... that's what binocs are for.

I agree, that's what binos are for, especially when you can't identify what the object is. However, I was extremely certain this was a moose so used my scope. The idiot is lucky it was me sitting there scoping him instead of some other idiot shooting him! My point being, wear orange because you don't know what other hunters might do. Why leave a question in someone's mind who is holding a gun, whether you're an animal or not? It's irresponsible not to, not just for your own safety, but to be respectful to other hunters who would like to know where other hunters are at so they don't accidentally shoot in their direction or mistake them for an animal and put a scope on them, like I did. There are soooooooo many reasons to wear orange and no good ones not to, so why wouldn't people?

Cheers.

Sorry Bigtoad if it seemed like I was trying to flame you. Wearing orange is a personal choice, and I understand why some choose to put it on during hunting season. Where I usually hunt it is very open, so it's hard not to mistake a hunter for a person.