Fly Fusion Forums

fish has to be killed to become a certified IGFA world record unfortunately.

Kyle,

I don't know if that is true. I think that if you have a certified, 1 shot scale that if you have pictures and send scale in to IFGA to certify they will accept. I know absolutely that the state record Spotted Weakfish caught in Texas was certified that way, and was certainly released alive. It caused a pretty big controversy as these are the primary gamefish in Texas and the certified record fish was released without indepenent verification. It was also caught on a fly rod which really opened some eyes as my guess would be that less than one tenth of one percent of the Spotted Weakfish are caught on a fly rod. I don't really know all the details on the rules for weighing, type of 1 shot scale, etc. but I do know that they will certify with that method.

don't really know all the details on the rules for weighing, type of 1 shot scale, etc. but I do know that they will certify with that method.

Needs to be a government certified scale...meaning one that is checked out and calibrated by the authorities of some sort...don't think a scale in your boat will get you an IGFA record then. What's to stop you from changing up your personal scale after you weigh the fish with photos, and then send it to IGFA?

Needs to be a government certified scale...meaning one that is checked out and calibrated by the authorities of some sort...don't think a scale in your boat will get you an IGFA record then. What's to stop you from changing up your personal scale after you weigh the fish with photos, and then send it to IGFA?

esleech,

The guy who caught the trout was a trophy fishermen. Knows his stuff and the process. You do not have to get it weighed on a certified scale. Here is the story:

http://www.fishgame.com/outdoornews/aug02/1.htm

The fish was certified and is now the State Record trout in Texas, certified by IGFA. Has been for several years. Many people don't like it, for the reasons you state above, but there it is. The link below is from this year and is a rehash of the argument. The original was 4 yrs ago and I couldn't search it up:

http://www.2coolfishing.net/ttmbforum/show...ght=bud+rowland

Texas has a fishing tournament every year called STAR. Huge prizes. Anyone who wins a top prize has to undergo a lie detector test. If you pass, you win. I don't know if IGFA does the lie detector thing or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. Just for fun, here is a link to the STAR tournamen. Read it and be amazed! My neice won a College Scholarship (4 years, up to 25K) in this tournament 4 yrs or so ago.

http://www.ccatexas.org/CCATexas/STAR_Tour...SnID=1796662289

If I was with the guy who just released the "New" world record, I'd wait and then hook it again immediately just to steal his thunder.

Then he would only be the "Co-owner" of the World Record....

Then I would "Bonk" it and have a big barbecue to celebrate "My" new Celebrity.

rickr,

I know a potential world record brook trout was caught in northern manitoba this past fall and due to him releasing it, it was not counted as an IGFA world record. It was counted for a catch and release world record however.

back to the fish- RIDICULOUS

rickr,

I know a potential world record brook trout was caught in northern manitoba this past fall and due to him releasing it, it was not counted as an IGFA world record. It was counted for a catch and release world record however.

back to the fish- RIDICULOUS

Sorry for the hijack.

That is one big honkin' rainbow!

I've looked into the world records for Catch and Release fishing before, and found that a fish can be considered for a world record if it is released on the condition that your scale is certified by a member of the IGFA both before and after the catch. Hope this helps a bit.

Craziness... imallugine fighting that thing on a fly rod?!!

That fish probably would not fight as hard as a healty 25" Rainbow out of the Bow, However could put up some pretty good deadweight, the fish is simply not in shape; the same applies to fish as everything else, if your 5'8" and 300 lbs, chances are you'll tire way before someone who is 6', 200 lb. I grew up in an area that had "fish farming" and each spring ice would cause busted cages to release fish, mostly Rainbows..These fish would thrive in the wild and get HUGH..Ive never landed anything half the size of that Rainbow, but i can tell you this; the bigger the gut on the fish, the less it'll run..it'll be heavy..but after a minute of shaking, they are done...That fish no doubt is a biggen..but the amazement should be in that it has'nt sucomb to disease, because a rainbow that grows that big probably lives in still water and has nothing better to do but bob around and eat...and obviously no predetors in the same water; can't see fatty being so fast to escape anything..........my two cents..

That fish probably would not fight as hard as a healty 25" Rainbow out of the Bow....

I don't know, the last few I've caught that big put up pretty good fights. Then again, I was using a 5 wt.....

Seriously, it couldn't have been in that bad a shape as I see it.

It most likely got that big eating some sort of bait fish like shiners, so it would have to chase most of its food. It could also just scavenge off the bottome too I guess.

Also, you can see a big spoon hanging out of its mouth in the pictures, so it would have had to be fairly fast to catch up to the spoon I imagine.

I'd love to hear the story of the fight just the same.

Does anyone else get the impression that those twin's parents were related before they married?

You have to give them credit anyways. Apparently, these two consistently get into these Hawgs.