Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Etiquette

Spincenz

Pretty new to to this forum group, a nice fella that was hammering fish on dries hopper downstream of the bridge at the deerfoot extension told me about it a few weeks ago. I'm interested in hearing some thoughts on etiquette when coming across other anglers on the river. The bow is obviously a busy river, what kind of guidelines do you use in terms of giving another angler space when you are on the same stretch?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Spincenz

If you see me in my jet please move aside as jet boats get first dibs on the good spots.

And they seem to think they get them over and over and over and over again. One or two runs through the same stretch is great but after the 4th or 5th time through just because you hooked one fish, come on!!

Sorry, my rant for the year.

Colin

I was on a central alberta stream on Saturday with my son and Troutlover. Long drive from Calgary followed by a 2 hr hike to the start of the fishing. We worked our way upstream and fishing was good, but it suddenly turned off. As we round a corner, we see 3 guys fishing the run in front of us, and we figured that was the reason for the shut down. We were fishing water that had just been fished. Now what to do? We could have hiked up the ridge, jumped past them, and fished in front, but that didn't seem very sporting of us. So we cycled back down river to where we started, figuring that no one would have touched the runs in the last couple of hours. Worked out pretty well for us. And hopefully for the guys in front of us as well.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is just another manifestation of the golden rule. Just treat others the way you would expect to be treated. I would have been choked if I had been those guys and someone had jumped past me. We had driven and walked a long way to fish that stretch, and were not exactly thrilled when we saw the other guys. But they probably drove and hiked a long was as well. It certainly all worked out in the end.

this subject is winner of the least read/most often ignored topic ever posted on ffc.
not really Dune! this is an important topic! what happens when u are fishing too close down wind of some big and tall guy and he farts in his waders?

I like this one, geared for steelhead but I like it

"SOME THOUGHTS ON ETIQUETTE"

"TREAT OTHER ANGLERS AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED"

"RESPECT OTHER ANGLER'S FISHING SPACE,

DO NOT LOW HOLE"

"ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION TO SHARE A RUN,

START BEHIND OTHER ANGLERS ALREADY FISHING"

"WHEN FISHING A RUN WITH OTHER ANGLERS MOVE DOWN A COUPLE STEPS AFTER EACH CAST IS FINISHED"

"AFTER YOU LAND A FISH GET OUT AND GO BACK TO THE TOP OF THE RUN"

"HELP A NEW ANGLER IF IT'S OBVIOUS THEY ARE HAVING TROUBLE, OFFER USEFUL TIPS, SHARE A FLY OR TWO"

"WHEN FISHING CATCH & RELEASE USE TACKLE HEAVY ENOUGH TO LAND THE FISH WITHOUT A PROLONGED FIGHT, MASH THE BARB TO MAKE THE RELEASE EASIER ON THE FISH"

"RESPECT PRIVATE PROPERTY, ASK FIRST,

LEAVE GATES AS YOU FOUND THEM"

"PROTECT THE RESOURCE, DON'T LITTER"

"REPORT GAME LAW VIOLATERS"

"RELEASE ALL WILD STEELHEAD"

"LIMIT YOUR KILL, DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT"

Pretty new to to this forum group, a nice fella that was hammering fish on dries hopper downstream of the bridge at the deerfoot extension told me about it a few weeks ago. I'm interested in hearing some thoughts on etiquette when coming across other anglers on the river. The bow is obviously a busy river, what kind of guidelines do you use in terms of giving another angler space when you are on the same stretch?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Spincenz

no, into practicing a little common sense & courtesy out there on the water, just sayin'

Very good. Fishing ettiquette can be summed up into the following. "if you would be annoyed by something that someone does to you, don't do that to them either."

Common sense is rule #1 but most of that goes out the window in Calgary.

There have only been a couple of time have I felt the need to get belligerant with another angler on the bow, and usually it's been because of getting "low holed". Thought maybe I was being over sensitive at the time, apparently not....

Silverdoc, good share regarding stealhead etiquette...

If there was etiquette and it wasnt a problem it wouldnt get brought up once a week. Im just the guy stating the obvious, haters quit hatin! As I stated before, avoid jerky people and just have fun! Traffic has and will increase dramatically out there and with that goes up the instenses of people feeling as though they got burned by someone else! lol, there was that better lol!