Fly Fusion Forums

Tragedy On The Cheakamus

3rd drowning in the last week, all were not wearing life jackets. This is like drinking and driving, 100% avoidable before it happens. Tragic but avoidable, do bad people continue to put themselves in these situations.

So you wear a PFD when you're walk and wade fishing? If so you're among the maybe one tenth of one percent who do. Anyhow, there are very few details out about this tragedy, so why don't we rein in the speculation and chastisement?

as a guide I find it hard to sleep after reading this. I am having nightmares. I feel so badly for the people who are lost and also for the poor guide who had to have it happen. Taking people fishing is a dangerous proposition, anywhere. Bears, Cougars, Lightning, rocks tumbling down cliffs, people slipping and falling, it all can happen in the blink of an eye. The outdoors is not a 100% safe place to be all the time. I hope the press doesn't blame the guide, unless it was directly something she did to cause it, like push the person off the edge... other than that... your out in nature, and stuff can and will happen :(

as a guide I find it hard to sleep after reading this. I am having nightmares. I feel so badly for the people who are lost and also for the poor guide who had to have it happen. Taking people fishing is a dangerous proposition, anywhere. Bears, Cougars, Lightning, rocks tumbling down cliffs, people slipping and falling, it all can happen in the blink of an eye. The outdoors is not a 100% safe place to be all the time. I hope the press doesn't blame the guide, unless it was directly something she did to cause it, like push the person off the edge... other than that... your out in nature, and stuff can and will happen :(

Well the way the world works, someones going to need to be at fault for this. I think the guide company will eventually be labeled as responsible. for the simple fatc that they allowed people in their boat and didnt protect them to the best of there ability. Weve all been there 100 times, life jackets on board but no one is wearing them, im guilty of it, lots! Ive never even looked at it the way you just described it but really from start to finish its quite a hazardous day out there. Maybe this could be used as a new way to do things maybe make it a little safer for everyone. Tragic story, cant imagine how that guide must feel.

So you wear a PFD when you're walk and wade fishing? If so you're among the maybe one tenth of one percent who do. Anyhow, there are very few details out about this tragedy, so why don't we rein in the speculation and chastisement?

I like your name you should use it and go get one. Nobody here talking about walk and wading dude did you get lost on your way to thread? They all fell out of boats (when I read the fly fishing story they fell out of a boat), they all drowned and they were all not wearing life jackets, there is no speculation here man. If you want to be a jerk why not ask how many of us wear inflatable fishing vests while walk and wading, prolly more than 1/8th of 1% as you claim. Whats is this a cool thing for you bro, headscan thinks its not cool to wear life jackets unless your on a boat, you clearly dont have kids either! Nice comment dude, completely uncalled for, dont forget that somene died.

I like your name you should use it and go get one. Nobody here talking about walk and wading dude did you get lost on your way to thread? They all fell out of boats (when I read the fly fishing story they fell out of a boat), they all drowned and they were all not wearing life jackets, there is no speculation here man. If you want to be a jerk why not ask how many of us wear inflatable fishing vests while walk and wading, prolly more than 1/8th of 1% as you claim. Whats is this a cool thing for you bro, headscan thinks its not cool to wear life jackets unless your on a boat, you clearly dont have kids either! Nice comment dude, completely uncalled for, dont forget that somene died.

This is exactly what we're talking about. LOL

Unless the stories changed, the lady hooked a fish while she was wade fishing, slipped and fell her. Her friend ran in after her and drowned trying to save her. I don't believe they were ever in a boat. I've fished the Chek with the people from this particular guide company and we drove to the river for the walk and wade.

If you're bashing on people for not wearing a life jacket while walk and wading, then add me to your list (and I'm more likely to agree with Headscans number of 1/8 of 1%). Using your logic, how far do we take it? Not stepping into the river even if you're wearing PFD...there's still risk involved there.

I don't blame the guide or individuals who passed. It's unfortunate but you can't take every risk out of being in nature. You take what you deem as reasonable precautions and go out and enjoy the day. In my mind making clients where aPFD while they are walk and wade fishing is not the way to go.

This is exactly what we're talking about. LOL

Unless the stories changed, the lady hooked a fish while she was wade fishing, slipped and fell her. Her friend ran in after her and drowned trying to save her. I don't believe they were ever in a boat. I've fished the Chek with the people from this particular guide company and we drove to the river for the walk and wade.

If you're bashing on people for not wearing a life jacket while walk and wading, then add me to your list (and I'm more likely to agree with Headscans number of 1/8 of 1%). Using your logic, how far do we take it? Not stepping into the river even if you're wearing PFD...there's still risk involved there.

I don't blame the guide or individuals who passed. It's unfortunate but you can't take every risk out of being in nature. You take what you deem as reasonable precautions and go out and enjoy the day. In my mind making clients where aPFD while they are walk and wade fishing is not the way to go.

Im not bashing anyone! funny how many threads people have mentioned there inflatable fishing vest in until the wrong person brings them up now nobody has or uses them lol, wow I thought most of you had one and always wear them, I swear Ive read this multipile times on this site! If they were walking then its a differant story, accidents happen! When i posted they were in a boat, going in a boat with no life jacket is an avoidable situation. Ive never wore a life jacket walk and wading, dont even have an inflatable fishing vest (same thing, dont confuse it guys). You guys can just let it go now, when I posted they were in a boat, if they were walking then its a differant story. No need for hatin, I know its hard for some of you but thats ok thats your problem!

My heart goes out to all those affected by this tragedy.

As others have said in this thread, accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. After a very scary incident that occurred while I was wade fishing alone about a year ago, I slipped on a bank and was under water before I knew what had happened, I vowed to myself to wear a PFD at all times. At first I thought I would hate wearing it but the one I got is designed for fishing, is very functional and low profile. After I wore it a few times the idea of not wearing it just seems scary to me. Consider it.