Fly Fusion Forums

Trout With Cancer? *pics*

hey just a question. I caught a rainbow yesterday in the city. it was on a dry fly wich was fun! but the thing that concerns me is the very large tumour-ish growth located on the underside of the fish right between the gills. it was about the size of a large marble and looked to be open and raw. very red in colour. BUT - it didn't seem to slow the fish down which was very acrobatic and did a fair bit of jumping trying to throw the hook. i got a picture of the fish and took a specific picture of this nasty growth. this can't be normal, if this kind of thing was found on a human, they would be starting chemotherapy next week! i'll take the pics off my camera and post both in this thread. if theres any fisheries biologists on the forum, I would really like to see what they have to say.

Andrew

ok heres two pictures of said rainbow trout. he measured out at 15" and rose for a royal wulf/humpy hybrid.

tumour-trout.jpg

so you can see on the underside, right near the mouth is a lump. this is the growth in question. in case anyone is wondering, I made pains not to touch it. I thought about keeping the fish to submit to a biologist for an answer.

tumour.jpg

heres the close-up. it was gross...and I happen to work in a hospital on a medical unit so I see ALOT of "stuff" in my line of work. but this...was...gross...

ok heres two pictures of said rainbow trout. he measured out at 15" and rose for a royal wulf/humpy hybrid.

tumour-trout.jpg

so you can see on the underside, right near the mouth is a lump. this is the growth in question. in case anyone is wondering, I made pains not to touch it. I thought about keeping the fish to submit to a biologist for an answer.

tumour.jpg

heres the close-up. it was gross...and I happen to work in a hospital on a medical unit so I see ALOT of "stuff" in my line of work. but this...was...gross...

I caught a nice brown in the city yesterday with almost an identical growth. I figured it was an infected hook wound or something. I dont think poaching a fish is a good idea just to identify a growth/ wound.

I caught a nice brown in the city yesterday with almost an identical growth. I figured it was an infected hook wound or something. I dont think poaching a fish is a good idea just to identify a growth/ wound.

for the record, in the event that I chose to keep this fish, it would have been legal.

Huh? I don't quite understand where you're going with this?!

Did you keep it?!

If you didn't, please keep the fish in the water when handling it!

P

P.S. Probably an wound from a big treble hook.

for the record, in the event that I chose to keep this fish, it would have been legal.

Deff seems to be more common this year on the bow, i have caught 5 fish this year with similar growths. Also caught a brown that kinda had a second mouth forming bellow his other, really nasty. Sorry dont have the answer to your question tho.

if this were the only occurence like this that I have seen, I may be inclined to call it a festering wound from a hook as well. this particular fish came from a small piece of water. also, I have caught other trout both rainbow and brown trout, and seen growths similar to the one pictured but in different spots that normally a hook - treble or single - would not be found. its a mystery, but this fish was caught right near a city street run-off thingy, and when its raining and I happen to be fishing this location, the water coming from opening looks like used motor oil, I wonder if this is partly to blame?

Two of the fish I caught yesterday on dries had old hooks in them. One nice brown had a clouser stuck in his left pectoral fin. There was a large lump around the hook and a bunch of melanin (black pigment) had been released around the area and stained a big, black stripe down his golden fin. Another rainbow had a stonefly nymph stuck in it's back end. Localized inflammation is an immunological response to a foreign body/injury to the flesh.

Darn fly fishermen are trying to poach via snagging.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher
Two of the fish I caught yesterday on dries had old hooks in them. One nice brown had a clouser stuck in his left pectoral fin. There was a large lump around the hook and a bunch of melanin (black pigment) had been released around the area and stained a big, black stripe down his golden fin. Another rainbow had a stonefly nymph stuck in it's back end. Localized inflammation is an immunological response to a foreign body/injury to the flesh.

Darn fly fishermen are trying to poach via snagging.

x2