Fly Fusion Forums

Goodbye Z Hello One.........

So in thier infinite wisdom Sage has dropped (allegedly) the most popular rod they ever marketed, again. To bring out a new rod that is faster, better, stiffer, tracks better, allows you to feel line unlike anything before and many more marketing promises that will make many realize they NEED the ONE.

I for one can't wait to replace all of my obsolete sticks. I don't know how I will be able to throw my Zs with all that extra modulus' until I can get a ONE.

http://www.angling-international.com/eftte...y-rod/sage-one/

How did we cast before..... I for ONE (haha marketing) am thrilled that Sage has once again saved us from our poor habits and weak casts.

“The ONE rod offers a more fluid transmission of energy from the arm to the fly. The eye sees the cast it wants to make and it is translated to the hand and through the rod instantaneously.”

How many more casts can be made in a day if you don't have to wait for your hand to eye coordination to catch up.

Thats awesome ,this means the prices should drop on the Z's.I could just maybe afford a 10' 4 wt now maybe.. .

Have you looked at blank prices on ebay? pretty darn cheap.... that is a super sick rod, my go to for pretty much everything except the bow or bullies

Yeah, who does Sage think they are by following the model of every other industry to make money? Look at car makers. Every 5 years or so they release a new version of a model, usually with a "refresh" halfway through. Just be glad it isn't like the tech industry - a new iPhone or iPad every year...

• 1 month later...

I read a lot of blog posts on the "one". They mostly seem to copy the advertising shpeel Sage puts out. Blah blah game changer, blah blah, extention of your arm. Well folks, I own one now and it will have brothers and sisters within the year. It's pretty sweet. It's my favorite rod already. I may sell all my rods and just own Ones. I actually like using the 4 weight now as it does what most of my other 5 weights do and is lighter! I put the muscle on a large rainbow last night without trouble at all. Kept forgetting it was a 4 weight. I was thingamabobbin it with two tungsten nymphs and it roll cast nicely and it was nice to cast 30ft with elkhair caddis too.

Don't just beleive me. Take one out fishing. I hope they won't be harder to get your hands on as time goes by and word gets out. Though, some fly shops couldn't sell a Z-Axis if they tried after they first came out. That said, it's not infinately better than the Z and some people will still argue that it's not better at all. It may not be for you. Just the handle alone makes it better for me. Much more fomfortable. I used a Rio Grand on it and test cast it at the shop with a 5. I had to line it up a bit. It's definately more on the Z-Axis/Hardy Zenith/St Croix Legend Elite/ GLoomis Streamdance side of action for sure.

Wait a second....no, they suck, don't buy one, yeah, that's it. Horrible they are. Crap on them all you want. That's the ticket. :rolleyes:

its great marketing! its a nice rod forsure but like most high end rods they are good if oyu are a good caster.. i get lots of clients with balling gear that hinders there casts more than my low end and mid range sticks i give em halfway through ever would.... but it is a nice rod to cast imho