Fly Fusion Forums

Spring Creek

MattH:

Spring creeks, generally speaking, are few and far between in this province. Most streams are freestone, and/or rise out of muskeg bogs in the foothills via runoff, glaciers, snowmelt, etc.

Point is, most guys guard their "secret" spring creek spots more closely than their firstborn.

How about some books? -if you can find them-:

1. Trout Streams of Alberta, by Jim Mclennan

2. Due North of Montana, by Chris Dawson

3. Alberta's Trout Highway, by Barry Mitchell

Also, did you try using the search feature in this forum. Why not give that a go?

Finally, how about one of the most famous spring creeks in the entire province; Stauffer, aka North Raven river. Try that one.

Not the most realistic question, in my opinion, when asking for spring creek spots, in terms of getting straight answers. Just sayin'...

Cheers,

Smitty

Ahhh Mike,

You are such a great FFC member and nice guy, your students should be proud!! ! :cheers:

P

MattH:

Spring creeks, generally speaking, are few and far between in this province. Most streams are freestone, and/or rise out of muskeg bogs in the foothills via runoff, glaciers, snowmelt, etc.

Point is, most guys guard their "secret" spring creek spots more closely than their firstborn.

How about some books? -if you can find them-:

1. Trout Streams of Alberta, by Jim Mclennan

2. Due North of Montana, by Chris Dawson

3. Alberta's Trout Highway, by Barry Mitchell

Also, did you try using the search feature in this forum. Why not give that a go?

Finally, how about one of the most famous spring creeks in the entire province; Stauffer, aka North Raven river. Try that one.

Not the most realistic question, in my opinion, when asking for spring creek spots, in terms of getting straight answers. Just sayin'...

Cheers,

Smitty

I'm an eager student myself. I'm amazed and overwhelmed by the depth of this sport. Obviously my simple question sparked a complex response. I'm not asking for your secret spots just some general guidance. Right now the larger rivers are unstable so I'd like to fish where I stand a chance. I'm headed to the North Raven, don't worry I won't tell anyone where it is.

MattH:

Smitty does this mean you would rather Matt date your daughter than give up your spring creeks....hmmmmm interesting :angel:smail:

I'm sure as you get to know people on this forum and they do likewise there will be an interchange of wonderful knowledge and experience as your number of posts increase. We seem to live in a world of instant satisfaction, some things are hard won. Smitty did a wonderful job of answering your second question, exploration is part of our sport. There are some truly great spring creeks out there that are a delicate and often unprotected resource.

I'm an eager student myself. I'm amazed and overwhelmed by the depth of this sport. Obviously my simple question sparked a complex response. I'm not asking for your secret spots just some general guidance. Right now the larger rivers are unstable so I'd like to fish where I stand a chance. I'm headed to the North Raven, don't worry I won't tell anyone where it is.

Smitty does this mean you would rather Matt date your daughter than give up your spring creeks....hmmmmm interesting :angel:smail:

Short answer: yes.

Qualified answer: Daughter gets to take highly trained and skilled attack doberman that only responds to her voice commands on said date. (Don't take offense Matt, same would go for all guys...)

Smitty

Qualified answer: Daughter gets to take highly trained and skilled attack doberman that only responds to her voice commands on said date. (Don't take offense Matt, same would go for all guys...)

Smitty

<--poke--<

I would bring some benzodiazepine and t-bone steak, 5 minutes that puppy will be asleep....

As a "new" fly fisher you haven't yet learned that posting your favorite Alberta spring creeks results in many other "new" fly fishers showing up resulting in your favorite rivers becoming increasingly more busy. When I see a new members (2 posts) ask for information about my favorite spring creeks, which I have spent years of leg work, reading, money, blood, sweat and tears to explore, I get a little defensive. One of the greatest feelings that I experience as a fly fisher is the self discovery of new waters. Don't deny yourself this. Get some books, get familiar with Google maps, make a commitment and start your adventure.

As a "new" fly fisher you haven't yet learned that posting your favorite Alberta spring creeks results in many other "new" fly fishers showing up resulting in your favorite rivers becoming increasingly more busy. When I see a new members (2 posts) ask for information about my favorite spring creeks, which I have spent years of leg work, reading, money, blood, sweat and tears to explore, I get a little defensive. One of the greatest feelings that I experience as a fly fisher is the self discovery of new waters. Don't deny yourself this. Get some books, get familiar with Google maps, make a commitment and start your adventure.

Very true :P

never give out the "secret" spots.

Yeah Matt, you'll hear lots of talk about "more stewards to protect our resource" right up until you ask a question like that. I've been searching for spring creeks for a few years myself. No-one's ever helped me out. Then again, I don't exactly go out of my way to make friends on this board. Give Stauffer a go, for sure. I usually fish it half a dozen times a year, and I love it.

There are some truly great spring creeks out there that are a delicate and often unprotected resource.

Glad to get the discussion back on track, lol.

To those of you are new to flyfishing and asking the same questions as Matt in regards to spring creeks, that sentence was written perfectly. The adjectives "delicate" and "unprotected" are exactly the point I was making. Thanks SilverDoctor!

Cheers,

Smitty