Fly Fusion Forums

My Little Man Caught His First Fish Today!

Well, he had quite a bit of help from dad.. but still!

Took the munchkin to Spruce Meadows Pond today for his first fishing trip, and he had a blast! Ran into Bobloblaw there, so that was a nice surprise as well! It was a bit drizzly when we first got there, but it actually cleared up pretty good. There were some sporadic risers all over, and we could see some mayflies coming off the water, so I rigged up a double fly rig with an emerger and a small black adams. After a few casts with no interest, I asked Noah if he wanted to try another spot.. he says yes and runs over to a nice little corner. First cast in that location, and we had on a nice little rainbow!

Moved to another spot a little bit after that and managed another little guy about the same size. I made sure to bring food and drink, and ask him lots of times if he was still okay. After ~3 hours, he was still having fun and I actually had to tell him we were leaving. So I'd say his first trip was a success!

Landing net ready to go.. I'm diggin the positive attitude!

FoothillsNo31-20110523-00090.jpg

Concentration!

Calgary-20110523-00094.jpg

Nice little rainbow

Calgary-20110523-00091.jpg

Calgary-20110523-00092.jpg

Proud boy!

FoothillsNo31-20110523-00093.jpg

I actually had his own rod for him to use.. a little Zebco collapsible rod from Can Tire. Went to open it for the first time today and the tip fell out! Probably should've checked it after we bought it.. oh well! We did alright with the 7'6" 3 weight..

It was my first time there as well and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to take their little kids out. Excellent location and pretty easy casting from pretty much anywhere around the pond. We'll be going again for sure!

Well, he had some help from dad.. but still!

Took the munchkin to Spruce Meadows Pond today for his first fishing trip, and he had a blast! Ran into Bobloblaw there, so that was a nice surprise as well! It was a bit drizzly when we first got there, but it actually cleared up pretty good. There were some sporadic risers all over, and we could see some mayflies coming off the water, so I rigged up a double fly rig with an emerger and a small black adams. After a few casts with no interest, I asked Noah if he wanted to try another spot.. he says yes and runs over to a nice little corner. First cast in that location, and we had on a nice little rainbow!

Moved to another spot a little bit after that and managed another little guy about the same size. I made sure to bring food and drink, and ask him lots of times if he was still okay. After ~3 hours, he was still having fun and I actually had to tell him we were leaving. So I'd say his first trip was a success!

Concentration!

Nice little rainbow

Proud boy!

I actually had his own rod for him to use.. a little Zebco collapsible rod from Can Tire. Went to open it for the first time today and the tip fell out! Probably should've checked it after we bought it.. oh well! We did alright with the 7'6" 3 weight..

It was my first time there as well and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to take their little kids out. Excellent location and pretty easy casting from pretty much anywhere around the pond. We'll be going again for sure!

Thanks for the info,im trying to teach my 10 year old to use his new fly rod and that sounds like a good spot.

Well, he had some help from dad.. but still!

Concentration!

Nice little rainbow

Proud boy!

That's sick i remember me catching my first fish and it was a pike im only 14 so i still remember. But i didn't do it fly fishing like he did nice work buddy. :)

I caught my first fish about that age. I had such a good time it was an event that shaped my life in many ways. My love of the outdoors fishing etc. Great to see kids enjoy the sport...

Absoultly Awsome,

Great age to start teaching kids stuff as they grasp onto everything that is told to them, now lets hope ryan taught him some good things like not to hit a stick over the trouts head it causes HEADACHES for them (Thats what my cusions always told me)

It was nice to see you & Noah at the pond, Ryan. That boy is a going concern, for sure; I'd like to have a quarter of his energy!

It's a dang shame he's so shy, though... ;)

About 1 minute after meeting him, Noah says, "Hey, guy, hold my hand!"

He wanted to lean out over the bank to stick Dad's net in the water- gonna catch a fish, y'know!

Children...they're just like kids! :D

So Steve... You've resorted to taking your bro to Spruce Meadows pond, eh!! :clapping: :clapping:

P

It was nice to see you & Noah at the pond, Ryan. That boy is a going concern, for sure; I'd like to have a quarter of his energy!

He wanted to lean out over the bank to stick Dad's net in the water- gonna catch a fish, y'know!

So Steve... You've resorted to taking your bro to Spruce Meadows pond, eh!! :clapping: :clapping:

P

You betcha; stockies need some love, too, y'know! :angel:smail:

Some years they overwinter & get a little bigger...

p6190297.jpg

p6140276.jpg

I like the "WHOA"/stop sign...

p6140278.jpg

It can be fun when they're looking up & the water is a little clearer than it is right now; then you can do some 'spot-n-stalk' fishing...

p6190295.jpg

haha - Yeah, we definitely have to keep our eyes (& hands) on him in public places!

Great stuff, Ryan. I wish I could have seen a pic or your face, as well.

But what happened to last summer? You might recall we had kids at the same time. I got my oldest girl (4 in August) out last year a few times, and got her first at Sibald's. She definitely inherited the last cast syndrome. I had to drag her away from the pond crying! After we caught a fish, she stopped calling it fishing. "More catching, more catching..."

Noah and Lydia should have a date some time. We were out at Spruce Meadows last year, but it seemed dead. Good to know it is a good option.

Does anyone know if the Sam Liv. fish pond is done yet?

Birchy

I have 2 little guys and want to head over there soon. Do I have to park in a certain spot? Do I go ask permission at a main desk?

thanks

Rob

Unless you're by yourself, the easiest place to park is the parking lot on the south side of the pond. Drive in the Spruce Meadows entrance, drive past the pond (it'll be on your left hand side), then turn left in the first parking lot past the pond.

No need to ask permission. Just start fishing and follow the rules on the posted signs (C&R only, barbless hooks, no wading).

@Conor - I kept meaning to take him out last summer, but it just flew by so fast! There was actually a span of about ~2 months where I didn't even get out myself!! It sucked.